1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DVD writers

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Spoonhead, 28 Jun 2006.

1. Spoonhead

Spoonhead What's a Dremel?

Hey guys i'm in the market for a dvd writers and some blank dvds and i was just looking for suggestion on which to get and how much i should spend? if i want good quailty dvd movies.

2. Veles

Veles DUR HUR

NEC burners are the way to go IMO, had 1 in 2 machines and they've never once let me down. I think they also have a lightscribe model out now.

3. DougEdey

DougEdey I pwn all your storage

The DVD movies which you make personal backups/make your own from personal footage just check the bargain bin out, £17.99 from play.com/

I personally use UKDVDR as they are good.

4. Spoonhead

Spoonhead What's a Dremel?

whats the diffrance between dvd-r/rw and dvd+r/rw

5. IanW

IanW Grumpy Old Git

The names on the patent, mostly. There is little functional difference between the two.

6. RotoSequence

RotoSequence Lazy Lurker

These days its pretty much irrelevant in regards to the burner itself. However, -R disks work more often in older DVD players. IanW is basically right though.

As for burners themselves, NEC work pretty well. Memorex media is the best that I have used personally.

7. Max Tractor

Max Tractor Minimodder

Nec/Benq

8. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

Pioneer - £18 from play inc del. Cant go wrong! Ive been using pioneer DVDRW drives from the A03.

9. eek

eek CAMRA ***.

I went with Benq after all the positive reviews on CD Freaks. The drive I have is really fast and quiet so couldn't really ask for more!

The disks to go for are the ones with Taiyo Yuden dye however they are expensive so unless the data is really important I would go with whatever you get branded for cheapest :)

10. DougEdey

DougEdey I pwn all your storage

Another vote for Pioneer, I've been with em since their 2x burners, I still have one of their 4xs I got almost 3 years ago still working (it was a bargain at the time of £40)

11. DynaMode

DynaMode What's a Dremel?

^^ So true, my NEC burners have never let me down.

12. Spacecowboy92

Spacecowboy92 Gettin' Lazy

What's Taiyo Yuden dye? :confused:

13. Arkuden

Arkuden mow?

Ive used NEC burners in all the boxes i have built and i use them in both my comps and they work like a dream for me.

-R/ +R both work in all my home theater setups so theres not much diff. memorex, verbatium (sp?) are pretty good brands.

14. Sherk

Sherk What's a Dremel?

I've used Lite-On drives and Memorex media for years now... most of my friends use Lite-On and the cheapest media they can get ahold of (as long as you take good care of discs, they should last). The only differences between + and - are some work in some players and some don't... my wife had a player before we got married that would play +Rs if they were burned at 2.4X or lower, and all -Rs...

15. Veles

Veles DUR HUR

The dog's love spuds

16. DarkReaper

DarkReaper Alignment: Sarcastic Good

Quick thread revival here - what does DVD-RAM do?

Was looking at These two drives and trying to fathom what the difference was.

17. specofdust

specofdust Banned

DVD-RAM is kinda like having a hard disk. With a disk in the drive you can add and remove stuff from it like you could a hard disk, it's all very simple and easy to use. The disks come in a max of 9GB IIRC, and are quite expensive, but will last an extremely long time compared with all other DVD technologies if stored correctly.

Quite neat, but at 9GB, their use isn't very great.

18. DarkReaper

DarkReaper Alignment: Sarcastic Good

Cheers, specofdust. I'll go for the Lightscribe one instead, I always liked that idea

19. Pookeyhead

Pookeyhead It's big, and it's clever.

Another vote for NEC from here too :thumb:

20. specofdust

specofdust Banned

Lightscribe is generally something to be avoided from what I understood when I researched the things about 6 months ago. Generally the money spent on the tech to do the lightscribe meant the overall performance of the things was decreased.

I got an NEC one that was rated fastest at the time, and basicly, they rock.