1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Modding UPDATED PICS!!!Got a bunch of 2.5 lcds from friend any ideas?

Discussion in 'Modding' started by newbiedude, 24 Jun 2006.

1. bubsterboo

bubsterboo What's a Dremel?

sure it would

2. AK-47

AK-47 What's a Dremel?

When you receive the LCDs, just google what ever serial numbers they have on or around them, I'm sure you could find cheap controller boards.

Feel free to send me one or two when you get them and I'll be sure to get you a controller board. ;)

Oh, and the original picture you supplied can't be the right one for the LCDs, they look greenish which means they are dot-matrix, they'd be black if they were color.

3. Sebbo

Sebbo What's a Dremel?

dot matrix colour maybe? i know the casio calculators which can display black, blue, red and green look green like that when they're off
    and yeah, def google the SNs when you get them. there ought to be something that'll help you

4. newbiedude

newbiedude What's a Dremel?

definatly will do, but if a lot of people buy the lcd's the controller boards will go way up

5. Valo

Valo Minimodder

well... if they turn out to be dot matrix, i wouldnt mind if you posted me one ;)

6. newbiedude

is it me or when i go to the private messages here the ad to the right cuts off like half the message?

7. ElThomsono

ElThomsono Multimodder

I had that once, but it was just a one off thing, page didn't load properly or something. Does it happen all the time? What resolution and browser are you using?

8. The_Gnu

The_Gnu 8-bit addict

I really don't think those displays will do any good in a projection system. Maybe you could get a tiny projected image showing the time or temperatures of the pc etc..but it will not be able to show any hig-res images or movies that you want in a DIY projector.

/GNU

9. mattthegamer463

mattthegamer463 What's a Dremel?

Albeit, a little projector -projecting something... - would be cool.

Last edited: 25 Jun 2006
  10. The_Gnu

The_Gnu 8-bit addict

scchhhhhh......not that loud....I was planing to do so in my upcoming case.. :worried: :worried: :worried:

/GNU

Last edited: 25 Jun 2006
  11. mattthegamer463

mattthegamer463 What's a Dremel?

sry, here. *edits post*

12. The_Gnu

The_Gnu 8-bit addict

Hehehehehe lol ... thx :hip:

13. kbates666

kbates666 What's a Dremel?

If they dont have the contoller board then I would just sell them on ebay if they do just (thinking.....................) oh i got it sell them on ebay.

14. shotgunefx

shotgunefx What's a Dremel?

You could always make second X/windows head with it, I've got a bunch of 2.5 lcds with drivers. I've got one going in the compass for my carpc.

It's suprisingly readable at 640x480.

Here's a 4mb qt vid I made. Just using S-Video though.

http://www.leeland.net/lib/leeland/xorg-minilcd-out.mov

But without a driver board, probably of no use unless it's to replace a broken one. Probably worth more too. I posted the ones I got here and they were cheap (2 for $25 IIRC) with a driver board etc, not too many takers from this site.

You could use it to make a projector but the res isn't that good. I had it to a 9ft (albeit very dim as I was just using the backlight) and the pixels were fingertip size. Keep in mind this is just held in place in the test and just using the normal backlight. Hard to get a good pick with it being so dim.

[​IMG]

update
    FYI, the moire pattern on the lcd in the video is an artifact of the recorder, you don't actually see that when looking at it. I originally was going to use one or two of these for a HUD, which I still may, but there's a lot of optic issues.

[​IMG]

15. Glider

Glider /dev/null

shotgunefx, you just project in the front windscreen? If so, then I suggest putting a plexi plate in front of it, so you project onto that... That would help al lot

16. shotgunefx

shotgunefx What's a Dremel?

Actually, it's a piece of HUD glass. I dont' want to hijack this thread. but the short of it, is figuring out how to project it correctly @ infinity is a PITA.

17. newbiedude

pics finally up, i'm thinking i'll sell them in multiple quantites for way cheaper since they are so hard to ship with those pins. Anyone think they know how to use them model number says they are VP4L3F-10886-AC

18. Forvak

Forvak What's a Dremel?

19. newbiedude

^^ yeah i'm watching that to see if it sells, i'll unload mine that way also probably.

20. elctroJunky

elctroJunky What's a Dremel?

If these Displays are meant as replacements for micro devices such as cell phones, the displays will have controllers on board.
    They seem to me a bit like those serial controlled dot matrix LCD's from the old Nokia 3310.
    But even if it is controller less, it's a small size (so probably low res) display, you may be able to interface them to a microcontroller.#
    But without a datasheet that shows you the pinout, you're stuck.
    Unless you get a device that has exactly this type of Displays, then there's a chance that you can figure out how they are wired. (best would be a PDA, as they use pretty well documented parts)