1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Launch of Blu-ray delayed by Sony hogging the diodes?

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by WilHarris, 10 Jul 2006.

1. WilHarris

WilHarris Just another nobody Moderator

2. olly_lewis

olly_lewis What's a Dremel?

No suprise there then, the fact is thst sony is going to run blu ray into the ground if this keeps up..
    And also its gonna take a miricle for Sony to release 2 million PS3's by Christman, especially if it keep up like this...

3. GuardianStorm

GuardianStorm Minimodder

maybe they meant Christmas next year :lol:

but seriously sony...stop screwing round and let the other manufactures have some diodes...

come to think of it, why cant their other partners manufacture the diodes too?

4. to_fast1

to_fast1 What's a Dremel?

Here it comes, sony bashing time again and that quote.

5. Veles

Veles DUR HUR

Which quote? "RRRIIIIDDGGGGGGEEEE RAAACEEEEEEERR!!!!"?

Perhaps that sony are attacking the weakspot of thier BR partners for massive damage?

6. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

But, again justified dont you think? Name me something Sony has done in the last year that deems praise?

7. Killer8

Killer8 What's a Dremel?

You can't really blame Sony. Playstation is their baby, and it's a volume product. Given the prices of standalone Blu-ray players, I don't think it'll hurt the other manufacturers too much in the short term (they're not likely to be selling millions of these players at $1000+ prices). If they didn't do this, and PS3 supply was even more constrained than it will be, people would be writing articles about how bad that was.

I can think of any number of things they've done that have pleased me, at least, even just specifically with regard to PS3 (like the decision to put Linux in every machine, or include a HDD as standard, for example). Anyway, that kind of talk is just going to derail the thread into a general Sony-bash.

8. phat-ant

phat-ant What's a Dremel?

you can already buy blue ray drives for your pc you just need to have an excess of 550 pounds to shell out for the drive. in stock in many e-tailers.

9. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

Course I can blame Sony for anti-competitive/anti-trust marketing of a produce they co-produced with other manufacturers. Artifically inflating prices of next gen equipment til the PS3 releases (that's true to HDDVD too).

Just cause they bunged Linux on and stuffed a harddisk in a $500 machine doesnt make them wonderful considering the string of issues and problems, so many Ive forgotten most of them I just cant keep up. Not in the least: Rootkit, Blu-ray putting off and telling other BR manuf. to keep prices at $1k, telling ME that I should be honoured to own a PS3 at $500, suggesting that there will be no 2nd hand game market, making games cost £10 more than they used to, crappy crappy controllers that rip off the competition, devs arguing that the software to develop games is the worst in the industry. Not to mention the continued problems with its developments cause they just shot too far ahead of themselves and are now sucking up that they cant get this "great machine" out the door in any shape or form. Week in week out there are news storys about problems with this that or the other, is it really hard to see why there's this negative vibe?

10. to_fast1

to_fast1 What's a Dremel?

Absolutely nothing, but you can't blame them for putting the PS3 on maximum priority, how many of the general public couldn't give a damn about any of this? so long as they or their kids have a PS3 when it gets released. Remember the Xbox 360 launch where all the shops were out of stock and people were paying £1000+ for a console.

Whatever happens Sony will succeed with the PS3, only people who read all these sort of articles will know how flawed the technical side of the console really is. The general public will look at screenshots and the games on offer and couldn't care less about the real specs.

I myself will buy one when the price drops a bit and there are more consoles available, purely for the games that are to come and because i know my PS1+2 games will work on it as i have about 30 PS1 games and 25 PS2 games.

SONY ARE NOT GOING TO FAIL WITH THE PS3 NO MATTER WHAT

11. riggs

riggs ^_^

You say that with such confidence, but tbh anything could happen, and chances are that if it can go wrong, it will. It wouldn't surprise me if Sony continue having problem after problem during the lead up to the PS3 launch. I'm also guessing that it's safe bet to say there'll be problems with the final (consumer) models too. I mean, look at the PS2...there's like, what, 9 different versions each with slightly different internal gubbins, yet they still frequently break or burn out.

As for the diode situation, you'd think that they'd be prepared for any possible shortages, and not have to limit how many are sold to partners, but then this is Sony we're talking about (the eastern company with western business acumen).

Just out of interest, have Benq, Philips or Lite-On made any comments about this situation?

12. Killer8

Killer8 What's a Dremel?

These diodes are something only themselves and one other company are making. Blu-ray is a standard formed from an association of companies, not these diodes.

These are good decisions, among others, made in the past year. My response to your question.

Proof? Really? Last I heard Panasonic was berating Toshiba for releasing their machines under cost, as unsustainable. It doesn't sound like they're pricing these at $1000 because Sony is telling them, but because they want to make a profit.

I think they've said that for what you're getting, it's cheap. For the tech you're getting, $500 is cheap. It's higher than games consoles typically are, but it's giving you a lot more than a games console typically does too.

Yeah, with their 6 year old, pre-PS2/PSP patent that they haven't yet acted upon (but for some reason, suddenly will with PS3), and their numerous denials that they were planning to do that. The only people suggesting that have been an alarmist press.

They've not announced their pricing, but it's third parties that are doing that. Same reason MS's 360 games are one price, and the third party 360 games are $10 more expensive.

Subjective that they're crappy, and if adapting to the competition yields a better product, then that's the right move. A better point here would have been a lack of rumble in the controller - remember that for your next Sony-bash ;)

Yeah, when you compare to MS who are the best in any industry, period! Ask any developer and they'll tell you the tools are a lot better than they were with PS2, however.

Much of this is blown completely out of proportion, IMO.

I can see you have a lot of underlying "feeling" toward Sony and PS3. But bringing this back to the original story, and what this thread is about, all I'll say is that a) it's puzzling why other companies can't make these diodes, and I think there are questions there but b) i cannot blame Sony for serving themselves first.

13. Cobalt

Cobalt What's a Dremel?

No they actually said that we are lucky to have a console as amazing as the PS3 for $100 more than the competition. The implication was that we were being privaliged to have the opportunity to give our money to them.

14. Kipman725

Kipman725 When did I get a custom title!?!

hmm I do hope this leads to sonys demise.. they got off light for the rootkitting and ilegal street advertising campains.

15. rupbert

rupbert What's a Dremel?

Bad Sony.

16. eek

eek CAMRA ***.

QFT.

17. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

It's not blown out of proportion at all. Literally every week in tech news is some comment about a Sony product for as long as I cant remember. I'd like you to list as many good decisions you've continually stated, as Ive listed the very few bad ones off the top of my head.
    I have read Sony have told producers of BR products not to release sub 1k home units (not including pc drives cause you cant get the software for movie playback on them anyway) until the PS3 ships, so the PS3 looks like a cheap BR player in comparison. Even if it costs more than 1k to produce a unit now and IF costs come down with the advancement of firmware/IC production etc they wont reflect in the cost of the end units.
    The PS3 controller uses blutooth, only has 4 lights for 7 controllers the PS3 supports and lacks rumble cause they couldnt work out how to have motion detection AND rumble and MS own the company which owns the patent on rumble. Bluetooth is useable to 10 feet tops, now how far are you having to sit with 7 mates on a high def large screen considering optimum viewing distance is 1.5-2x that of the screen size? Within controller range?

You say it's giving a lot more than a games console typically does yet we've seen NOTHING from sony with regards to their "live" online service or even, a complete product yet. Even Nintendo had decent tech demos. 20gig is crap for 360, sure, but MS state that it's a machine that collects media from elsewhere. Sony want it as a digial media centre, but 60gig is nothing when compared the size of most peoples media collections on here. I am excited to know about the linux distro and 3rd part app support because, like you say, a HD machine IS actually pretty cheap if I can get ALL types of media on it that I want and own: everything from the net. But how open will it REALLY be? Again, currently all noise and no meat.

So you get a $500 next gen BR player for your HD screen. So you have to invest in a HD screen too (like you do with the 360) and by the time most people want to move to HD there will more than likely be dual format players out there.

I dont understand what's stopping other companies of the many, many high end tech companies produce blue layer diodes? The wavelengths are the same the only thing that differs is the potential of 4 layers on BR media and im unsure of the layer limit for HDDVD.

3rd party companies are dealing with the demands of the Sony product that will ONLY do HD, therefore, will cost them more. Same with the 360, but we're seeing games come down in price quite quickly. I hope the same can be said for the PS3.

They didnt need to act upon the PS2/PSP patent because they are arguably market leaders (arguably with the PSP versus DS), yet, considering the cost of the PS3 to make compared to PS2 and how much they NEED to recoup from game lisences I can see it being a real possibility to try to restrict a second hand market. To lisence games rather than have them as owned media.

Im cynical because Ive been given nothing else to go with, because this is how the world is. Because self serving companies are always at the cost of consumers and unless you dont stand up for yourself and make a noise they will continue to insist you should be honoured to own their expensive product.

Oh, and welcome to the forums :D:D

18. Killer8

Killer8 What's a Dremel?

These stories often are.

You've listed more rumour and conjecture than you have bad decisions on Sony's part. Two points based on some sort of fact are: 1) Rootkits, where you'll see no argument from me (although I'd point out that Sony is a big company, and SCE's hand was not involved in this at all) and 2) "Ripping off the Wii controller". But this is not a bad decision if it makes the product better - and I do think the controller is better for it. Taking out rumble, conversely, is not a good decision, and I agree on that.

Reading something (on the internet, no less) is not proof. Give me a quote from a BD manufacturer.

Ever think they're leaving space for other devices like headsets etc? The system supports 8 controllers, in fact, 4 wired, 4 wireless (which will be pointless for most games, but the capability is there).

Do better research. MS sold their stake in Immersion some time ago, there is no MS involvement there now. The reason for PS3's controller not having rumble is nothing to do with a technical inability (though Sony may like you to think so), but everything to do with the Immersion lawsuit. If that was settled, you'd magically see the controller have rumble.

Do better research. Bluetooth's range is from 1 to 100 meters depending on the power class used. I don't think Sony has disclosed the class for PS3's controller.

We don't need to see the online service to say the hardware is more than what you typically get in a games console, assuming they deliver on what has been announced.

Then buy a standard 2.5" SATA drive of your choice and pop it in. Or plug in a USB mass storage device.

I agree that we need details on Linux, but the PS2 Linux distribution may be a good indicator as to the freedom that'll be available. There were few restrictions on it, the most notable was that you couldn't access the DVD drive on it. But such a restriction would not prevent access to digital media on a HDD.

I think it's more likely one of the formats will be dead by that time, but who knows.

I'm sure it will be.

I don't buy that for one minute. They are no more or less the market leader now than they were when the applied for that patent pre-PS2, yet they did not act on it for PS2. The cost of PS3 to make versus PS2 is higher, but they also have much higher revenue potential from PS3 asides from games and games licenses - primarily Blu-ray movie sales (they'll make money off each movie sold, far more than they did off DVD because they're the big-wig in that association), and downloadable content.

The only thing people have when it comes to that rumour is the 6 year old patent. I don't see it being ressurected, and Sony has suggested the complete opposite. Again, the only people suggesting otherwise are alarmist press.

Last edited: 10 Jul 2006
  19. Da Dego

Da Dego Brett Thomas

Wow...you two need to take this outside or something, the bulk of this has very little relevance to the story at hand.

Whether Sony has somehow overthrown MS as Satan's right hand due to PS3 being expensive, crappy, or poorly designed is about as relevant to this thread as what I ate for dinner. Same with arguing how the PS3 will be awesome no matter what.

Let's stick to the blu-ray. :D

/kicks thread back ON TOPIC.

20. offroadracer789

offroadracer789 What's a Dremel?

Early adopters to any new technology, blue-ray in this case, almost always get screwed. If anyone buys a ps3 just for blue-ray then they are making a horrible descision. Sony has a bad record when it comes to their consoles. I believe that if they are having this many problems then they are obviously rushing the ps3 way past their abilities.

Tags: Add Tags