1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Project: Homebrew CNC Machine

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by JavaDog, 8 Apr 2005.

1. Rocket733

Rocket733 Austerity - It's the only way

So what are you planning on making with your newly completed nice and shinny CNC machine? Any computer hardware :naughty: ?

2. ConKbot of Doom

ConKbot of Doom Minimodder

Since you are going to be having to change all the tools by hand, have you thought of anything to try and make that easier on you then having to set it with a gauge block each time?
    Some of our machines at work have a laser that is used for tool breakage detection, and also for setting the tool length after a tool is replaced. Perhaps after you get it up and running, you could experiment with making your own? I'm not quite sure what sort of accuracy/repeatibility your looking at, but with enough experimentation, I'm sure you could come up with something that works well. PM me about if if you want to bounce some ideas back and forth.

3. modsquad

modsquad Grease Monkey Undergraduate..

Just finished reading/looking from page one..VERY cool project..

4. timstolt

timstolt What's a Dremel?

Man, you are one busy guy, JavaDog!! Thanks for taking the time to post the process of your construction; and what excellent pictures! I'll be checking back for the finished shots! (and some of the machine cutting, of course.) :thumb:

5. Pooleo

Pooleo What's a Dremel?

theres not much more poignant words i can use other than: DDDUUUUUUUUUDDDDDDDDEEEEEEE!!!!!!!! thats some ace workmanship on show.you should post some vids of the thing in motion. That is without a doubt the craziest project i have read on these forums.superb work.great pictures.cant wait to see the finished article.

6. Mule

Mule What's a Dremel?

WOOO HOOO

JavaDOG

I am, as always amazed and filled with glee and envy looking at your work! Great job documenting too!! Looks like you will be a busy guy, with hobbies and openeing a business, but as long as it's fun the hours should be worth it!

Thanks for taking the time to share!

Cheers :rock: :rock: :rock:

7. JavaDog

JavaDog What's a Dremel?

Yeah, bees don't enter into it. Finished shots should be coming shortly - just gotta finish edit/resize/etc.

Thanks for the kind words. I will be shooting some testing videos, and some cutting videos. Probably put them up on Google Video.

Yeah, I have a lot of ideas/projects in my head - and this CNC machine is going to play a big part of making them real.

8. JavaDog

JavaDog What's a Dremel?

So, the Y-Axis Servo Mount had to be re-designed. Turned out I made the standoffs too tall and there was too much side-to-side mis-alignment between the pulleys.

So, just turned the standoffs on their side. Took the spacing from 1.5" to 3/4" - which turned out to be perfect!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Pretty easy fix. Next I am going to post pictures of the electronics and control box - all finished. Then, final pictures of the machine (high-res) and VIDEOS! :rock:

9. Bullitdodger

Bullitdodger If it ain't broke....Tweak it.

Damn....I would love to have a CNC machine.... :dremel:

10. Guest-2867

Guest-2867 Guest

YEAASS! The Videos, the videos!! Mwhahahahahaha

*hahem*

11. vova

vova What's a Dremel?

Wow! I am new here... I have been doing a lot of reasearch on building my own CNC machine. Have been doing a lot of google search, and then I found this web site and this project. I have to say that this is the most profasional job I had ever seen. It has gaven me lots of Ideas for my own CNC. When I get all the plans worked out and get started on this project I will try to post them here. You are doing an excelent Job just amazing on it.
    Best to you

12. K.I.T.T.

K.I.T.T. Hasselhoff™ Inside

*picks jaw up off of the floor and wipes drool of the keyboard* ok, i last posted in here on about page two or three and i thought it was nice then....its just plain amazing now, its beautiful to look at. all i can say is that i am extremely impressed and wish i had the time and money to build something like this.

13. tkdwarrior

tkdwarrior What's a Dremel?

It's good to see a budget job like this looking so great. Though it might be hard for others to emulate, it sets a good standard to follow. Great work dude, would love to see it finished

14. BobbyMParr

BobbyMParr GameDemon

i would love to have THAT cnc machine :p good work java

15. GT40_GearHead

GT40_GearHead What's a Dremel?

dumb question coming up: is it done(he says he is gonna post oics of the control box)

16. BobbyMParr

BobbyMParr GameDemon

JAVA UPDATE - JAVA UPDATE

17. turbosatan

turbosatan What's a Dremel?

you have to be kidding me

i didnt just spend an hour reading the whole of this log to find it not finalised yet

come on Java get the videos up quick

such an awesome project to undertake and done to such high standard

i want one

T

ps VIDEO VIDEO VIDEO

you get the idea

18. Journeyer

Journeyer Minimodder

JavaDog; you have blown my mind! I am absolutely amazed! Beautiful work; when can I order one? :D

(shuffles off to change shorts)

19. ssR

ssR Carbon God

damn dude it took me sometime to go through this log and now i need to wait more... :(

20. Mule

Mule What's a Dremel?

*sniff* *sniff*

:waah: :waah: :waah: :waah: :waah: :waah: :waah: :waah: :waah:

No Update..... I've been coming back every day hoping praying for video of a hunk of delrin or alu being spat out from under a bit in your mill...

Owell... I'll check back tomorrow