1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Google and Mozilla get Real

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Da Dego, 3 Aug 2006.

1. Da Dego

Da Dego Brett Thomas

2. Darkedge

Darkedge Minimodder

"Are you with me that any mention of RealPlayer violates Google's "Do no evil" clause?"

YES! Real software is HORRIBLE - Worse than the worst MS have ever produced.
    Oh dear.

3. GuardianStorm

GuardianStorm Minimodder

i dislike real player alot. RealAlternative is good though :)

4. will.

will. A motorbike of jealousy!

bad move.... although, as long as i don't get asked to install realplayer with firefox every time it updates, i'm still a happy camper!

5. DXR_13KE

DXR_13KE BananaModder

real player will never again get into a computer i own. NEVER!!!
    it is..... realy sucky software multiplied by infinite.

6. Swafeman

Swafeman Minimodder

Realplayer sucks le balls

7. TheoGeo

TheoGeo What are these goddamn animals?!

I dont mind real player asking people if they want to install firefox/google bar but i certainly dont want it the other way around. Tbh though i doubt google or mozilla would go that far.

Maybe google/mozilla will pressure real networks into improving their software... though i doubt it.

8. cpemma

cpemma Ecky thump

I've been using RealPlayer Enterprise version for a few years (needed for some BBC videos). As it's designed for office use it's less "phone-home" than the ordinary version.
    btw, you don't need to give Real genuine info (like your email address) to get it. :naughty:

9. [USRF]Obiwan

[USRF]Obiwan What's a Dremel?

I dont care if real does phone home or does anything else spam related. The damn player just plain sucks bigtime. And will never ever gets on my desks in my lifetime.

10. Paradigm Shifter

Paradigm Shifter de nihilo nihil fit

I've refused to ever contemplate using RealNetworks software since I saw the horrors it committed on a mates PC. Symantec and RealPlayer are the two things I will never install.

Ever.

RealAlternative is just as efficient, with none of the bloat. Much like AVG or Avast!... ;)

11. Spearhead

Spearhead What's a Dremel?

i love the fact that even if you buy the full real player.... you still get all the popups and such.... maybe theyll improve? or theyll just drag mozilla and google down in to the hot firey depths of hell with them...

12. dullonien

dullonien Master of the unfinished.

I was actually having a discussion in work with a fellow collegue about real player. When I say discussion, I actually mean both of us saying that it's an utter pile of $*^t.

The only reason I would need it is for listening to bbc radio online, thanks for the people who mentioned RealAlternative.

13. [Jonny]

[Jonny] What's a Dremel?

This is good for the Firefox count in the UK, since you need RealPlayer (or are advised to use it) on the BBC site. :)

14. TheoGeo

To be honest i think we should just all campaign the bbc to stop using real player, seeing as no other (decent) website seems to use it, im fairly sure the bbc is keeping it going.

15. Firehed

Firehed Why not? I own a domain to match.

Heh, this discussion is almost identical to the one on slashdot when they posted this yesterday. That said, I agree, though supposedly Real's become much better than it used to be in the last year or so. If it spreads Firefox, so much the better - not because I care about spreading OSS (it's a plus, but I honestly don't care what people use) but because it means it being more out there means better site support. Though there are very very few websites that I go to that give either Firefox or Safari problems.

16. TheoGeo

tesco.com grocery shopping didnt used to complain about firefox and it worked perfectly fine, now it complains its an incompatible browser and takes you to an alternate crapy site. Opening it properly in ie and i noticed no differences to before when it worked with firefox.

also webct doesnt officialy work with firefox and complains ALOT as a result, again, apart from the many complaining pop-ups there doesnt seem to be a problem. I dont know anyone in this uni who doesnt use firefox for webct.

You would think they would take firefox more seriously with the market share its got.

17. dragontail

dragontail 5bet Bluffer

uegh, hate realplayer. The popups things that come up randomly piss me off the most >=( Well, at least I don't have to d/l it with Firefox... yet...

18. John Cena

John Cena What's a Dremel?

Thank god I use IE 7.0!

If firefox includes realmedia in the download, good bye firefox. It's been going down hill since 1.0 PR.

Google...i don't know what they are trying to do.

19. yahooadam

yahooadam <span style="color:#f00;font-weight:bold">Ultra cs

i really hate real player too

but IMO quick time is almost as bad also, quick time alternative also ***

fortunately, i don't find a lot of things i do to need real player

20. Nikumba

Nikumba Minimodder

The BBC is starting to move over to media player from real media, i belive it was down to licences costs but if Firefox comes with real player then firefox goes in the bin simple as that.

real player is an ungodly peice of software that should be burnt at a stake

Tags: Add Tags