1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Case Mod - In Progress Project: Orange Monster, 26 July 2006; Wire routing blocks 16.3.2014

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by Darkened, 26 Jul 2006.

1. tkdwarrior

tkdwarrior What's a Dremel?

Your colour scheme is bold - it works great though. I like the partition - your acrylic bending looks well thought out and clean. Nice job, hope to see more updates as they come :dremel:

2. Darkened

Darkened Minimodder

Case cuts...

Ok, it's update time! But first I'll have to thank you all for your support and comments. Especially when I saw the 5-star rating, that really made my day :thumb: Now there's only one thing I can do, and that is to do 5-star work on this mod till the end. Thank you once more.

@ka88

I hope that you'll find an Italian plastic shop, if someone knows a place which sells plastics and acryl in Italy, please be welcome to post it in this thread or PM ka88.

@OldY

No problem. Just remember that the bending angle and the "space" needed to make the bend depends on how thick the acryl is and maybe even on which kind of acryl you are using. The 10mm rule applies only on the kind of acryl which I'm using.

Let's get on with the update, shall we?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Here's the cut I had to make for the shroud to slip into place.

[​IMG]

And here's something that was first done by Modsquad. A cut for the wires to go trough. Thanks again Modsquad :D

Next up: Some new stuff

Last edited: 21 Aug 2006
  3. Darkened

Darkened Minimodder

Some new stuff...

These were the things I had to order cause the store didn't have them right away. They actually came pretty quick, in a couple of days so I can't be too mad about that :D

[​IMG]

The goodies, 12 in 1 card reader by Sandisk and the second Nexus Drive-A-Way.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

It's a really nice unit, compatible for IDE and SATA-harddrives and keeps them quite quiet and cool.

Next up: New frontpanel :rock:

4. GT40_GearHead

GT40_GearHead What's a Dremel?

:hip:

(eats pop corn)

5. Darkened

Darkened Minimodder

The frontpanel...

Let's see some actual modding next :D

I got the next piece of plexi ready after hours of work...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Firstly I cut out a piece of acrylic from the bigger piece and masked it.

[​IMG]

Then i attached a spare fancontroller fascia to the piece with double-sided tape.

[​IMG]

After that I drilled some guide-holes with 3,5mm drillbit. Also the cornerholes were drilled.

[​IMG]

With the help of the guide-holes it was quite easy to drill out the bigger holes with 15,5mm drill. That left about 0,5-0,8mm to file and sand for the holes to be big enough.

[​IMG]

After a few hours of filing and wetsanding it started to look somewhat ready.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

When I was done with the sanding and cleaning it was time to put it together with the fancontroller...

[​IMG]

...and install the whole thing in the case. This thing isn't actually ready yet, when I cut out the window for the case I'll be using the black aluminium from the side door behind this plexi so it has one whole piece of aluminium behind it instead of those slot-covers.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I'm quite happy how well this thing turned out, hopefully you'll agree with that :D

That's it for tonight, I might be updating tomorrow, depending on how much I get done.

Night everybody.

Janne

6. modster

modster What's a Dremel?

that panel is sweet! how did you make those non circular holes?

7. yahooadam

yahooadam <span style="color:#f00;font-weight:bold">Ultra cs

wow nice work

although i wouldnt have riveted in that thing :eek: its going to be alot harder to work on it now - plus screws look better ;) (some hex ones or somthing)

the shroud is also really slick, lovin the work

8. IYIENACE

IYIENACE What's a Dremel?

Looks like maybe Torx head screws, surely he wouldnt have riveted it on when it has to be removed again. (probably several times)

9. kbates666

kbates666 What's a Dremel?

What Color Leds does the fan controller have?

10. Darkened

Darkened Minimodder

Good morning!

Firstly I'd like to thank you for your input and questions. Let's try and answer some of those.

@modster

The "ellipse" holes were made with a 3,5 and 3mm drillbit, after that I filed them open with a small round file. I also used a small file that wasn't round, but had a rounded edge to do the "wider" parts of the holes. Then I moved on using a small piece of folded wetsandingpaper (still don't know if that's a word :D ). I took that fancontroller apart and actually used one of those knobs as a guide by placing it under the plexi and seeing that way which parts I still had to file/sand.

@yahooadam and IYENACE

IYENACE is on the money here :D I wouldn't have riveted it on in any case, those actually are hex screws. They are the original screws that come with the fancontroller. They maybe changing to nicer ones though when I get around to buying the screws and bolts needed for the case. Hopefully I don't have to take it out again, but probably I do :hehe:

@kbates666

The fancontroller has 9 different color choices which apply to the lcd, but not to the knobs. I know that's a problem which is going to haunt me until I do something about it. And no, there's no orange option even in the lcd. That's why I didn't cut a hole for the lcd in the frontpanel. I think that the lcd will look allright with maybe a white backround lighting, but I may have to change those leds that light up the knobs. We'll see when I get around to hooking that thing up.

I think I'll go to bed for a couple of hours now and then it's modding time :dremel:

Janne

Last edited: 6 Aug 2006
  11. ReFredzRate

ReFredzRate Relix Headshot!!

Nice work mate. I'm starting to like it :)

12. saxman

saxman What's a Dremel?

that mod is absolutly gorgeous. I love the mix of the metal with the expanses of plexi. I have always loved the openess of the plexi cases but not the difficulty of the cable management. This is looking to be a perfect combination of the two.

13. hydro_electric_655

hydro_electric_655 Dremelly Dude

Looks freakin swett. Like the concept.

14. accro

accro What's a Dremel?

Sweet! [FIN] Tilasitko muuten A.C. Ryanilta asti nuo A.C. Ryan-romppeet, vai ostitko Suomesta jostaki? [/FIN]

15. tkdwarrior

tkdwarrior What's a Dremel?

are you planning to integrate the 12-in-1 card reader into one of the bays with something like a black shroud or is it just going to stay seperate? work's looking good. I would go for a black shroud for those lighting switches too (if you're doing anything there) - that area of the case probably doesn't need attention

16. Darkened

Darkened Minimodder

Hey all, I'm off to the gym now, but when I get back I'll be updating and answering all the questions...stay tuned!

Janne

17. Darkened

Darkened Minimodder

Rear fan and some sleeving...

Update time again!

I'll answer some questions first:

@accro

I'll answer this in finnish, cause I don't think this is going to be relevant information unless you are finnish. [FIN] Moi, eli Coolputer Tampereella myy noita kamoja. Sieltä tilailin ja tulivat kyllä nopeasti, ei mitään valittamista palvelusta. [FIN]

@tdkwarrior

The card reader is going to stay external, just something which goes with the equipment I'm taking the pics with. I actually tried to find an internal card reader which would have xD card slot, but it proved so difficult that I decided to go with an external unit instead. As the lighting switches go, I'm not sure if I'm going to do a shroud there yet, we'll see :D

Ok, let's see some of the minor work first and the bigger things last.

[​IMG]

Here are the power button wires sleeved...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

...and here's the front led wires with brand new skin on them :thumb:

Next I attacked the rear fan.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I had to extend the cables from two places to get them long enough, but it looks pretty good still. I still have to tackle the lighting wires, but that's another story.

[​IMG]

Here it is in it's place and with the Revoltec vibration absorber installed in there also.

[​IMG]

This is how it looks from the rear.

Next up: The divider plate

18. Vocko

Vocko What's a Dremel?

I thought it's gonna look kinda crappy, but keep on going man, this is looking good!

19. Noni

Noni What's a Dremel?

Lol, this is equisite work (i know i spelt that wrong)

20. Darkened

Darkened Minimodder

The divider plate...

Okay, here we go with another acrylic piece :rock:

Damn it was a long day of modding sunday, about 8 hours straight. During that time I messed the hd-rack I was fabricating, no problem, I'll do it even better next time. I was a bit bummed after that, but I forced myself to do something else for the case.

So now I'm proud to present the new divider plate :D

[​IMG]

Here's nothing you havn't seen before, a piece cut out and sanded so that the angles are 90 degrees, not more, not less. And after a "few" hours of sanding, bending, dremeling and drilling we have this...

[​IMG]

...a new divider plate :clap:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Let's install this bad boy in the case...

[​IMG]

...there it goes. It'll look much better as soon as I get it properly mounted with some hexheads. Also I'm probably going to install a black or "mirror" vinyl under the plate.

[​IMG]

There's a few screws "in place" just to see how it's going to look.

[​IMG]

Took this one to show how shiny that thing is :D

That's it, hope you'll enjoy it and remember to comment on it too :thumb:

Janne

Tags: