1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Modding vga to tv?

Discussion in 'Modding' started by skeletor, 13 Aug 2006.

1. skeletor

skeletor modder in the making.

I was wondering if there is any way to go from the VGA out of a pc to my tv. The pc I want to do this on doesn't have a s-video output (which is how I did it in the past). But I want a pc dedicated to the tv for media. Anyways though, I was thinking that like a psone lcd mod, but just taking the RGB outputs and putting them to the Y, Pb, and Pr inputs on my tv (which are red, green and blue) and hoped it would work. BUT, it didn't. Although if I plug any one of the connectors to just the video in I get a messed up black and white display.

So is there any way to do this? Or do I just have to try and get some cash up and buy a new video card with an s-video out.

Last edited: 13 Aug 2006
  2. specofdust

specofdust Banned

There is a way of routing using VGA ports for RGB, but it's bloody complicated. The best bet is to find an HTPC forum, and ask them about it. They should be able to point you in the direction of a cable making company that'll be able to produce it for you. I was told to expect to pay up to £80, so I imagine you could be paying up to $100 for same thing. The cheapest way by far would be to buy a cheap FX5200 and just shove that in your AGP slot, but that's just gonna give you S-video. S-video is ok for random bits of media and the odd movie, but VGA>SCART using RGB is by far the best solution. It just happens to be rare and extremely complicated(for the uninitiated) too.

I think Cpemma might know more, he's good with stuff like this IIRC.

edit: I looked up some vague bookmarks I'd been given ages ago and found a page which, I think, shows roughly the sort of thing you want.

If you look at the bottom of this page then you can see DVI>Scart stuff. Smillodons link below is another I was looking for, and should be helpfull.

Ach! It just occured to me that you might not actually have any Scart sockets on your TV. Can you confirm what you do have?

Last edited: 13 Aug 2006
  3. Smilodon

Smilodon The Antagonist

4. skeletor

skeletor modder in the making.

hmm.. well thanx for all your help. but i dug around, and found an old video card in my graveyard of pc hardware that had a s-video out. I thought this card was long gone by now, but odly it won't go away. its an old geforce fx5200, but it does what i need it to do.

Also, i don't know what a scart socket is, so I would have to guess that my tv does not have one. Either way all is working, thanx for your help, and sorry for wasting your time. I had the solution in my back room the whole time =D

5. hydro_electric_655

hydro_electric_655 Dremelly Dude

6. Smilodon

Smilodon The Antagonist

I think scart is only for the european market (and asian?).

It's sort of an anicent version of HDMI. (it's analog, though)

it's a large plug that supports sound, component and composite signals. It also makes your tv switch from tuner input to AV input when you turn on your VCR or DVD player.

7. specofdust

specofdust Banned

Scart was just a unified european connector, to stop different things using different connectors. It also happens to make things work quite nicely in the world of HTPC's IIRC. Aparently it's almost never found outside of Europe.

8. Captain Slug

Captain Slug Infinite Patience

You need a "Scan Converter"
    Simplest solutions available and done entirely with hardware.