1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News US in charge of the net till 2011

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Garside, 17 Aug 2006.

1. kosch

kosch Trango in the Mango

Now there will be two buttons on George's desk, one to end the world via nukes and one to "Make the internet stop now!"

2. Sinner666

Sinner666 What's a Dremel?

And I thank God everyday the EU doesn't controll the net or anything else of vast importance for that matter. The EU is the biggest bunch of burecratic waste the world has ever seen.

If the EU ever accomplishes anything of world value I'll shoot myself.

3. specofdust

specofdust Banned

The EU created a single market among 25 member states, some of which are among the most productive and politically active nations on the planet. Now go die.

edit: And with that final attack on stupidity, lets get this thread back on the US controlling the internet, and away from "Grr USA" or "Grr UN" or "Grr EU".

4. hitman012

hitman012 Minimodder

Keep the flames down please... this thread is already smouldering. It's quite possible to make your point without insulting another member.

:eyebrow:

5. TheMuffinMan

TheMuffinMan Minimodder

Just to reiterate, I don't think I've seen a single huge problem with the US running it. Have you all? Other than the fact that maybe "we want of a piece of the pie too" syndrome, there isn't a reason to complicate things even more. How would the load balancing take place? blah blah blah etc. Tons of questions and reasons why it would just over complicate things. It's been controlled by the US for quite awhile and what real beef do you guys have with it? (Yes I'm a US person)

Now I would see a problem if say we had like 60% of control, and tried to take over the other 40% THEN I would see a just reason to complain. But as things are now, I don't see why not?

6. Lonesarah

Lonesarah What's a Dremel?

No

lol :rock:

7. Sinner666

Sinner666 What's a Dremel?

Okay.

But as an aside I was really insulting all the people in all 25 of the EU countries.

8. Ramble

Ramble Ginger Nut

No?
    The mods have other ways of removing you from the conversation other than nicely asking. Now please, stop being an arsehat.

You do know that Bit-Tech is mostly people from the UK?

Back on topic..I don't mind the US having control, they've done a pretty good job of it so far, so long as Ted Stevens and his cronies don't get their grubby mitts on our tubes.

9. Da Dego

Da Dego Brett Thomas

I'm sorry, but What?!

You're going in the box until you can learn to behave.

Sinner666, you're about a hair away from joining him. Consider this your warning, and you're only getting one because your idiotic remark is at least mildly entertaining. Ah, hell. No it's not, in the bin you go.

For the rest of you, keep on topic. This was not written to promote a US/EU flame war. Or you'll be in the box, too. With Mr. Eloquence and his gimp over here.

:grr:

Last edited: 17 Aug 2006
  10. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

It is rather ironic that the people who most object to the internet being controlled by one particular nation/organisation, appear least able to demonstrate the sense of mutual respect and tolerance that they suspect would be absent in whoever gets to control the Internet.

Please keep this civil.

Honestly, I think TheMuffinMan is right. The US has controlled the internet since day one and it has been doing just fine. It is one of the few places that has not been highjacked or dragged into wars or political agendas.

What the US has always demonstrated to do exceedingly well, is to make complex business operations run farily smoothly and at a profit. Only the US could run a decent Olympic Games, and make a profit to boot. I cannot think of many other countries (well, any, actually), that would be able to "run" the Internet as well as the US has so far, and not to use it for its own political agenda.

If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

11. themax

themax What's a Dremel?

That's what I don't understand. If the U.S. has controlled the internet up until now, why, oh why is there so much doubt of ability of the U.S. to keep the Internet in good working conditition? All of a sudden the U.S. might ruin the Internet, or use it as a trump card during war. If that was the case it would have already been done plenty of times in the past.

12. Da Dego

Da Dego Brett Thomas

Eh, I'm not so sure on that though, themax. We have proven to be a bit irresponsible with a lot of things lately, and show no signs of slowing down. My only hope is that the amount of scrutiny will be increased, and thus we will be challenged if something starts to get amiss early. I don't think the US will do anything with it, but I would feel more comfortable if our control were on loan, for example....that there was a better oversight board to hold us accountable if things started to go south.

13. Asphix

Asphix What's a Dremel?

Some very good points. All in all.. the extention to 2011 is a good thing. Its not indefinite.. but it allows us to continue a good thing and keep with the mantra "if it aint broke, dont fix it".

2011 isnt that far off.. as I get older I start to realize just how quickly time flies by.

14. specofdust

specofdust Banned

My personal concern would be that, by the time we realise it is broke, it's extremely hard to fix. I'm sorry to say that as far as I can see, with Bush at the helm, US politics and many laws and other such stuff that they control, have been going down hill. I know bush is out in a few years time, but I'd still much favour the internet being out of control of people who have an agenda to push. The 2011 thing does't worry me, what does worry me is the prospect that that might end up with power just being sent back to the US every few years. Long term control by one country seems like a bad idea, even with the near flawless track record the US has with controlling the internet.

15. FeRaL

FeRaL What's a Dremel?

I agree with you guys whole heartedly...

16. yahooadam

yahooadam <span style="color:#f00;font-weight:bold">Ultra cs

that's pretty much it

why cut someone off at the software level ? they wont bother - they will just pull the plug

well if its possible, i think a lot of the Internet is routed via Europe and stuff, the US has like 3 major links out of it i think

17. EK-MDi

EK-MDi What's a Dremel?

I don't understand why the US want to keep the contract. Seriously...what is so special about having control over issuing IP and domain name addresses? Besides, haven't they got anything better to spend their money on? And please don't say it could be used as a threat againsts other countries in conflicts or anything like that.

18. FeRaL

FeRaL What's a Dremel?

Well then, on that point, why would any other country want this ghastly duty as you have made it to sound?

19. RotoSequence

RotoSequence Lazy Lurker

Question:

So long as things dont really change badly, is it really worth making a fuss about?

20. DarkLord7854

DarkLord7854 What's a Dremel?

Considering the US invented the Net I think it's only fair they have control over it no?
    If you create something and it extends outside of your country you live in, don't you want to keep it under your control if you invented it? I doubt you'd want to put your rig in a public cafe and let anyone who came in to use it in any way they wanted to...

Tags: Add Tags