1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Development Bit-Tech site layout change Web 2.0 look?

Discussion in 'Software' started by phi0x, 20 Aug 2006.

1. RTT

RTT #parp

Fixed width is a critical feature for us :)

2. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

My thoughts exactly.

I know this is a modding site, and we're supposed to fix it if it's not broke, but the site is something else. Please don't change it to a 2.0 format...

3. scq

scq What's a Dremel?

Bit-tech is great. The design has this sort of pop-artsy feel to it, which isn't exactly elegant, but not hideous either - but fun.

Everything is nicely laid out. I personally like how Bit-tech organizes it's reviews and modding pages - much MUCH more fun to click through than sites like HardOCP or Anandtech. It's just how everything is framed up and laid out.

Bit-tech doesn't need more glossy plastic "iMac" buttons, or large colorful type plastered across 90% whitespace and 10% content.

Last edited: 23 Aug 2006
  4. Lazlow

Lazlow I have a dremel.

I agree - it's one of (if not) the easiest tech sites to navigate.

I'm interested to see what Will comes up with though, not that there is anything wrong with the current style, but we wont know what we're missing until we see the alternative.

5. Firehed

Firehed Why not? I own a domain to match.

Make things round? Aside from the little retractable menu bits on the side that you never use, that's really the only change.

Except for OMGPONIEZ!!! That was Web 3.0 Slashdot!

Meh, vB works, all I care about. Front pages are fine, though I rarely see the homepage now thanks to the wonders of RSS. Which is Web2.0 enough for me.

6. will.

will. A motorbike of jealousy!

oh for all things shiny and glassy! I would never make bit tech look like my avatar.. does no one get that its irony? wowzer!

plus, it's just for looksies, not definate certainty...

7. kickarse

kickarse What's a Dremel?

I think the design in minimalist but fugly... a couple things it does well though

- Layout content in a nice flow, easy to find things and navigate
    - Load quickly, something needed in a site like this

If we could keep a "web 2.0" template for those who want it that loads almost as quickly, without any serious increase in load, that would be cool...

I'll even join in the design too after I finish up the major podcast site im working on right now...

8. OneSeventeen

OneSeventeen Oooh Shiny!

I say Bit-Tech should set out some guidelines about what items need to be on each page, maybe providing a few sample HTML files with no styles, then start a competition for re-designing the entire site, with some sort of cool prize.

(perhaps a HTPC cobbled together by donations provided by advertisers?)

Either way, I definitely think that it should be possible for nobody to win, since the site is so functional it doesn't have much room left for design. I like the new layout, and can't think of using anything much better than this. (other than if there were no advertisements, but that would mean bit would go broke and go under... which wouldn't look good either)

Then just put a poll in the forums with a disclaimer saying "this poll is meaningless, we won't change it unless we really want to, then we'll sell the rest of the designs to template manufacturers and laugh at you while we use all the money we made off you suckers to buy a new spool of CD-R's! mwuahahah"

(or something to that effect)

9. Hamish

Hamish What's a Dremel?

well in theory it should use less bandwidth because its only loading and reloading the bits of hte page as and when its needed
    however in practice it tends to suck imo :p
    just look at digg for the slowest 'fast' site on the net..
    not to mention i really cant stand all that crappy animated slide out shite, i turn that stuff off in WinXP i certainly dont want it on web pages :\

10. will.

will. A motorbike of jealousy!

can I have an eps of the logo please?

ps: I wouldn't suggest a contest to redesign a website. Simple reason; what if they don't like any of them, but still have to pick a winner? No one wants to have their website look (even if its only their opinion) crap.

oh and are there really that many people on these forums that have the time/skills to do a redesign? It would literally be a contest between mebe 10 - 15 people.

On the other foot however. It is an extreemly cost effective way of getting a new web site re-design.

Last edited: 25 Aug 2006
  11. kickarse

kickarse What's a Dremel?

It's a challenge for best design... doesn't mean they have to go with it or even use the whole design for the site. They could pick pieces from the design too...

Last edited: 25 Aug 2006
  12. OneSeventeen

OneSeventeen Oooh Shiny!

That's why I mentioned
    I definitely think keeping the existing one should be an option.
    (Maybe Moose, RTT, or whoever designed this one could get the hardware :p)

13. Glider

Glider /dev/null

Why make it a physical prize? I'd be honoured if my name was written on the front page of a site like Bit-tech...

Design by Glider

Now, if only I could make websites... ;)

14. [Jonny]

[Jonny] What's a Dremel?

This is what I've done so far, it's not very 2.0 though. (and it looks more like the current design than I had expected :p)

Where is the bit-tech font? :)

15. Ramble

Ramble Ginger Nut

Doesn't work correctly in Opera.

Oh, it hurts my eyes as well.

16. [Jonny]

[Jonny] What's a Dremel?

Should have noted that you should only view it in Firefox. :p

17. ozstrike

ozstrike yip yip yip yip

Ew, that really looks nasty (imo)

18. specofdust

specofdust Banned

What doesn't work about it? Opera Beta 9.00, build 8414 would appear to render it as it was intended. Can get screencaps if required.

19. Ramble

Ramble Ginger Nut

Hovering over the tabs makes the body of text move one pixel.

20. Sam0r

Sam0r It's been a while

My web2.0 site looks pretty nice i think, although its no where near finished.

http://www.trippie.co.uk/beta/

Doesn't render perfect in IE yet though, works fine in firefox and Opera (apparently).