1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Case Mod - In Progress Project: Orange Monster, 26 July 2006; Wire routing blocks 16.3.2014

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by Darkened, 26 Jul 2006.

1. Mother-Goose

Mother-Goose 5 o'clock somewhere

amazing vinyl skills there matey that must have taken some sweet time! its nice to a change from just painting the inside of the case :D

2. Darkened

Darkened Minimodder

Slot covers re-visited...

Hey again, I'm back with a small update.

I was looking at the slot covers and thought that they needed something extra.

And to keep the theme rolling, I added some CF vinyl to them :D

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

There's only 3 of them in the pic cause the other two need some additional work before they can be called ready.

If I get enough done, there might be an update on the PSU tonight...

Janne

3. Dracula

Dracula What's a Dremel?

I like CF vinyl it's look professionla

4. FooSai

FooSai What's a Dremel?

Gotta say this is certainly a log i have been looking eagerly for updates on since i found it, looking like its gonna turn out to be a real sweet case.
    I love the colour scheme, and the carbon fibre vinyl looks really good. And you even take good pic's of your work (something that often lets down a log).

Keep up the good work dude!

5. Darkened

Darkened Minimodder

Thanks for the comments and support guys, they really keep me going at this thing.

@tdkwarrior

Putting CF vinyl on the "inside" of the drivebays would be a huge pain in the arse so that's probably not going to happen, but I do have a few ideas how to cover that part. You'll just have to wait and find out when I do get that thing done :D

Keep commenting :thumb:

Janne

6. ianho

ianho Silverstone Modder

Wow! Nice mod so far dude. I've been following Modsquad's Narcissus from beginning to end. It was so long that I just sat back n read about it without saying anything. N now I c another briiliant V Series mod. I just had 2 register myself n thank u guys for all the great ideas uve given me. I hope both u n Modsquad dont mind me using ure ideas in my own mod. I recently got myself a V1200Plus Black. I especially love ure lower section acrylic plate n the divider plate. I'm gonna do those 2 plates for my own case but in blue. Thanks again for the great ideas Darkened.

7. hydro_electric_655

hydro_electric_655 Dremelly Dude

Ya thanks but if I get the chance it will be expensive. Thats my main hurdle plus finding a reliable local hopefully seller. Maybe even a company that is small and can do custom molding

But, about that mod I think even though it looks fake the CF vinyl adds nice contrast to the normally ugly silver case. Woot Go you. friends again no bickering?

8. Darkened

Darkened Minimodder

The powersupply...

Hey all, I'm back to give some juice to the monster :thumb:

I got loads of work done today, got the window cut out, the front is almost ready and motherboard plate shroud is almost done. But there's always the but. None of those parts is ready enough to update you on. Instead I'm going to bring you an update on the PSU. That's one of the things I got almost finished today also :D

On with the pics...

[​IMG]

Last week I was finally able to score some imperial threaded hexhead bolts. These babies are 6-32 (the common case screw) threaded, so I can use them on mounting the PSU :thumb: I had to go to a store which sells RC cars and such things to find them. Otherwise I've only found metric bolts, that kind of sucks...

[​IMG]

Now I understand why those powersupplies have so much stickers on them :hehe: Damn holes!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I took care of it with some more CF vinyl and it came out pretty nice I think... Don't worry about the little spots on the backside of the PSU, those were just some sticker left-overs from the original sticker which was used as a guide when cutting the holes for the connectors.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Next thing to do was to shorten the bolts, so there you go, the 6-32 and some M4 bolts shortened. One problem though, I didn't shorten the 6-32 bolts enoguh, so that's going to have to be done tomorrow.

I also drilled the holes in the case with 3,5mm drillbit and then re-threaded them to accept the M4 bolts. No pics of this since I forgot my camera home :wallbash:

[​IMG]

Well anyways, this is how the PSU looks like with the mounting plate installed on it. Notice one bolt missing, since they are a tad too long, that one bolt was touching the circuit board inside the PSU which isn't a good thing :hehe: Well that's going to be easy to fix...

[​IMG]

That's how it looks when installed in the case.

[​IMG]

I think the CF vinyl looks good when it's behind the shroud, just as planned :hehe:

[​IMG]

The connector side of things...

And finally with the PSU silencer installed on the back of the powersupply...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

That's it for tonight, hope you'll enjoy it. And remember to keep those comments coming...

Janne

9. LuitvD

LuitvD What's a Dremel?

hmmmm, nice silencer... but I don't think It'll be that effective...
    Looks nice tho' :)

I love that PSU, it's like it's made for that case :D
    also, nice vinyl, ... again :p

10. Darkened

Darkened Minimodder

Hey ianho and welcome to the forums. Also welcome to the V-series family :hehe:

For using our ideas on your mod, I won't mind it if you do and I don't think modsquad will mind either, but to be sure, ask him.

Though I do think that you should at least give the parts your own touch to keep them unique. That's the way to go, to do something that's never been done before. And don't forget to make your own projectlog here so that we all can enjoy your mod.

And @ hydro, I think you should go with the real carbon fibre case, it would look awesome. And I don't think we ever stopped being friends, so no problem there :hehe:

Finally @ LuitvD

I know the silencer isn't going to be too effective, but I like the window-mod I made for it, so that's why it's going in there :D And if it happens to silence the PSU, I don't mind, lol.

Janne

11. customh

customh conflagration.

beautiful, as usual.

12. hydro_electric_655

I think I read that it was a deflector persay that deflects hot PSU air away from the rear intake or something. Ya looks cool but I think that the CF should stay inside it looks wierd with the matte black anod. case. Just an opinion. We'll see.

Btw if I can ever afford a case it'll be CF. Hehe Ohh Ohh the posiibliities.

I should mention that I am/was an rc car enthusiast. I emmidiately noticed the dubro label as they are a fairely well known company with many bolts. 4-40s and such

13. tkdwarrior

tkdwarrior What's a Dremel?

comparing the slot covers and the cf vinyl work on the psu, you would have to say it blends in a lot better with the black (as you cant really wrap around edges and keep it looking good, or real for that matter) compared to the silver alu.

Just thought it would be something to keep in mind for future application. :)

14. Darkened

Darkened Minimodder

Hey guys, thanks again for your comments.

A couple of things:

@hydro_electric_655

In my case the rear fan isn't intake so the deflector isn't needed for that either, I just like it :hehe: And for the CF vinyl on the mounting plate, I used 3.2 aperture and like 5 seconds shutter time when I was photographing it, so in real life it's much darker and doesn't stand out at all like did in the pics. If I remember, I can take pics that show it closer to the shade it really is.

@tdkwarrior

Again, I forgot to take pics of them installed in the case. I'll do that today also :) That's because when they are installed in the case you can only see a small portion of the CF vinyl trough the slot holes, well you'll see when you see the pics :D

Now I have to go to the dentist, but when the torture is over, I'll be back and mod some things...

Janne

15. OldY

OldY What's a Dremel?

Great job on the PSU!!

16. Belial669

Belial669 What's a Dremel?

Hey, Loving the perspex work.
    Just 1 or 2 observations.
    1. Just wondering why if you had the cover off the psu to add the window, why not just retap the screw holes out to accept M4 if only just to standardise the bolts your using?

2ndly i really like the silencer cover for the psu, stuff functionality its all about the aesthetics and i think it looks really good..
    So yeah really good so far looking forward to more.

Cheers
    -Belial

17. Darkened

Darkened Minimodder

Hey Belial669, there's actually no window in the PSU, so it's never been stripped apart. I actually did think about re-tapping the PSU screw holes, but since I found the bolts, I didn't have to. And drilling and tapping the PSU without taking it apart would be too dangerous (metal shavings and the risk of drilling some component inside the powersupply.

Hope you'll check back soon and do comment on the thread, feedback really keeps me pushing this thing further.

Janne

18. ianho

ianho Silverstone Modder

Thanks for the welcome Darkened. It's definitely gonna have lotsa personal touches from me but I just love that acrylic panel in the lower section so much. I actually started a worklog on it in a Malaysian forum a while back. Haven't had much time so I just put in the hardware for the time being, so I can use the PC for daily work. I suppose I'll do another log here once I really get down to finishing it. Keep up the nice modding man. :rock: :rock: :rock:

p.s I forgot to mention bout the PSU silencer. It works wonders man. I'm using an Enermax Coolergiant 600W with ball bearing fans n u all know how loud ball bearing fans get. That silencer kills off a whole lot of sound from the PSU. It's good stuff.

19. randomz

randomz What's a Dremel?

I signed up on the bit-tech forums just so I could comment on this.. I must say that this mod is coming along great. It really does inspire me to do some case modding :D

Keep up the good work! :dremel:

EDIT: *subscribed*

20. hydro_electric_655

One thing I should add thin pressed metals like PSU steel case steel/aluminum is not made to be tapped but once. Especially PSU's they usually have a pressed indent where the threads are and drilling that out will surely cuase weakness. Although with that stand of aluminum it should be fine anyways. My advice is do not tap thing metals itll tear sooner or later. More than likely when the chance comes along where it could hit your HSF or Water block and totally destroy that area possibly cracking your chip not to mention ripping the motherboard mount/socket out. Just my .02 USD

I hope you can figure out how to take real to life pics because right now if that isn't what it looks like you aren't doing it justice. Have you seen the 2 new airbrushers on here with new mods? THey are amazing. I think airbrushing could/should be incorporated in everymod.

Tags: