News NVIDIA's G80 will be a little late...

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Da Dego, 13 Sep 2006.

1. Tim S

Tim S OG

I doubt it, R600 is going to be 'bigger and hotter' than R580, and we all know how hot that one gets. ;)

2. Highland3r

Highland3r Minimodder

Aren't the heat issues not going to be worse with the "all in 1" GPU's anyway? Surely ALL the shaders will be in use nearly all the time, rather than just pixel/vertex as required depending on the scene being rendered?
    Even if the peak thermal output was the same between the R580 and the R600, the R600 would run at peak for longer periods due to the arcitecture..?

Or have I read things wrong lol?!

3. Tim S

Tim S OG

that would be correct :)

4. speedfreek

speedfreek What's a Dremel?

That sounds promising.

5. Cheap Mod Wannabe

Cheap Mod Wannabe What's a Dremel?

Vista Aero is such a lame excuse. My Vista BETA1 and 2 ran pretty well on 5900XT with Aero turned on. 6800 and 7 series are not even warming up on Vista in most situations.

6. Veles

Veles DUR HUR

You certainly don't need a G80 to run vista in all it's snazzy glory, G80 boards will cost the same amount as a cheap PC.

This is required if you want really good DX10 graphics.

I think I'd rather have these boards use a power brick than have to get a insanely high wattage PSU. I'd hate to think how much power these would need if you put them in SLI, or even quad SLI :jawdrop:

7. BFGunrunner

BFGunrunner What's a Dremel?

We will probally have to wait till the 2 sd gen of DX10 to run DX 10 well. Just like the Radeon 9700pro's were the 1 st DX 9 card, But they are too weak to really run DX 9, But the 9700 pro's totally owned in DX 8.

8. [stuart]

[stuart] What's a Dremel?

You mean this one?

[​IMG]

That's the 7800GT-Dual and it was manufactured by Asus.

9. Techno-Dann

Techno-Dann Disgruntled kumquat

I've seen it run smoothly on an integrated 6150 graphics chipset, on an ASUS A8N-VM CSM. Anyone who tells you it needs two (or four?) $800+ video cards to run is trying to sell you something.

10. Aankhen

Aankhen What's a Dremel?

Bob deliver us from insane power requirements and heat dissipation...

11. yahooadam

yahooadam <span style="color:#f00;font-weight:bold">Ultra cs

well nvidia are generally trying to sell somthing ;)

Aero isnt exactly the most demanding thing, its a reasonably simple 2d thing isnt it ?

12. Dezza

Dezza What's a Dremel?

Last edited: 19 Dec 2007
  13. zr_ox

zr_ox Whooolapoook

If you have the money to buy a 7900GTX, or an X1900XTX whats £20 more for a silent cooler?

14. Iago

Iago What's a Dremel?

Wich of course, is just marketing and exaggerations. A high-consuming rig (Pentium 4 class), even with 2 6800Ultras in sli would be hard pressed to use more than 300-350W.

Nowadays, it would be a very rare PC that used more than 350W at full load.

What does scare me, though, is how taxing will Aero be on GPUs. I mean, my x1900XT is very silent when idling. It's just under load that the fan revs up. If I'm gaming, it's very noisy but bearable (although it's the last noisy card I'll ever buy, performance king or not)...but if it sounds like that just with the Aero desktop...forget about it, I'm selling it the day I upgrade to Vista....

Last edited: 14 Sep 2006
  15. dullonien

dullonien Master of the unfinished.

People have already said that Aero isn't taxing atall. I'm running a 6800GS and I haven't noticed any difference from XP, except vista is a little faster in opening/closing windows etc.

I'm pretty sure it's a fully blown 3D GUI.

16. JADS

JADS Et arma et verba vulnerant

You know excessively hot and power hungry cards make a solution like the nVidia QuadroPlex make sense for more than just increasing graphic card density. Keep the beasts well away from your PC ;)

17. r4tch3t

r4tch3t hmmmm....

Pair that withh the Gigabyte Quad Royale board hmmm anyone fancy the power and powerdraw of 16 graphics cards?

18. [USRF]Obiwan

[USRF]Obiwan What's a Dremel?

I do not understand all the fuzz, Nobody knows what the power consumption is going to be. You can discus (or rather guess) about, how much the G80 will be consuming. But some people are just over-reacting with statements like: "i will not buy this thing if it take so much watt!" without even knowing anything about the G80

Trust me.... in the end you all want one....

19. xion

xion Minimodder

The sad fact is, it's going to be the first time system builders and people upgrading their PC World specials that suffer using off the shelf £15 600 Watt PSU's. Sure it says 600 on the label, but i doubt it is really. PSU's generally seem to cause the most trouble and are rarely invested in. I doubt the majority of people would even know how to check their power rails let alone that they should... i'm far too cynical of society :sigh: :D

20. Ringold

Ringold What's a Dremel?

Aha! Someone understands me, I think. Whenever someone criticizes me for waiting for G80/R600 (and Vista) for my next upgrade cycle, or criticizes anyone else, their first line is "there wont be many DX10 games" or "DX9 isnt even fully used". I don't care; I'm too cheap to buy hot-off-the-shelf releases for $50+ anyway, and with about one exception per year, everything I buy is at least slightly old, or it's from a tiny independent developer who doesn't have the resources for a DX10 release. What I really want G80/R600 for isn't next-gen, it's for totally kicking ass in all my DX9 games. :) Being future-proofed for a year or two is a nice extra, but not necessarily the top reason for purchase.

Tags: Add Tags