1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Widescreen Projector, update: DEC 12 - 2006

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by The_Gnu, 26 Apr 2006.

1. Darkened

Darkened Minimodder

Pics are looking good, and congrats on the front page also :thumb:

Do we still see some changes or is this thing done?

Janne

2. Techx

Techx What's a Dremel?

kick ass mod, pretty amazing that you created something so complex.. 70" of gaming goodness will be a nice reward :)

3. Constructacon

Constructacon Constructing since 1978

Pure class. I'm sure I read earlier in the thread what resolution the screen was running at but I can't recall where that was. What's it running at?

4. sui_winbolo

sui_winbolo Giraffe_City

Incredible job, very clean and looks like you got great results. You need to take a far away shot to show how big that is projecting! :D

5. Jewno

Jewno industrial designer

sweet!

6. jokkos

jokkos too busy to mod *sigh*

this is an amazing project, very nicely executed. The projector looks great!

7. nightmare03

nightmare03 What's a Dremel?

Oh man that looks good!

Nice work gnu :), more pics!

A thing to try if you want to take a nice pic is to place the camera onto something so its focusing at the screen and the timer function and wait, stops small movement from when you press the button.

Works for me anyway.

8. Lothar

Lothar What's a Dremel?

I'd just like to say that I joined the forums here because of your nice build log. :)

I had a couple questions though. How did you know where to place the various parts of your system (ie distance between light source and LCD, distance between LCD and mirror, etc)? What are the final dimensions of your projector (minus the lens sticking out I guess)?

You did a fantastic job with your build. I'm very impressed. I have considered this myself for quite a while, but I haven't found a nice LCD screen yet. I want something a little better than VGA.

9. veryevil

veryevil Minimodder

Hey, thats brilliant truly great! Just wondering what the total cost and build time on something like that would be?

10. chase

chase What's a Dremel?

Amazing prosject, and the best of it is the likeness between the sketch and the
    finished project...

Look:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

See?

Petter

11. Jipa

Jipa Avoiding the "I guess.." since 2004

If that out-coming lense would just sit inside... Far nicer looking than my Sanyo PLV-Z3 though!

12. Claas M

Claas M What's a Dremel?

jipp, very cool and very f*ing amazing case

13. spoon13

spoon13 What's a Dremel?

Perhaps you already answered this question but how much would you say this cost you in the end?

I love this project, wish I had your skills and patience.

14. The_Gnu

The_Gnu 8-bit addict

Ill try to answer most of the questions. Feel free to ask again if I miss somone.

Have you considered working as a prototyping machinist? Actually.. I'm trying to get into a design and product enginering school. But they don't pick students based on their design or art skills, only on how well you perform in math and physics :(
    Will post pics of the current lid screws soon.

Do we still see some changes or is this thing done?
    There will be some minor changes and more pictures to come. Especially when I get my projection screen.

What's it running at? The resolution is 800x480.

Regarding photos....my camera is really crapy, but there will be more hopefully not so blurry pictures further on.

I had a couple questions though. How did you know where to place the various parts of your system (ie distance between light source and LCD, distance between LCD and mirror, etc)? What are the final dimensions of your projector (minus the lens sticking out I guess)?

The site wher i bought the parts at (exclusiv-online.com ) had all of the distances stated on their site. but thats only for their lenses of course. different lenses have different focal lengths. Try searching diyaudio.com
    They got some usefull permanent threads to read. Also lumenlab.com Many use 15" and 17" screens.

Just wondering what the total cost and build time on something like that would be? The total cost for me was around 450€. You can get Commercial projectors for the same price nowadays. I did this basically because I was desperat to start building something and was curios of these things.

If someone of you intend to build something like this an dont care about size, then maybe a 15" or 17" inch diy projector is something to try. If you already have a compatible tft then you can come out very cheap compred to the 1024x768 , 1280x1024 projectors available today. For me I wanted it to look good so I chose the smaller 7" tft. You can even use the famous 5" tft psone screens. If you try it, remember to be carefull with the tft because the connections are very small and fragile.Trust me it hurts do realice the tft is broken because I actually had a missfortune with mine, it was a faulty 12 psu that delivered 27 v instead of 12v. :waah:

Now im off for a party. I have recently sent in some pictures for a diyprojector contest at www.allinbox.com. (concours 06) Its french but atleast there is a lot of pictures comming up. I think there is a total of 36 contenders in the contest and first price is a PSP giga pack and some extra gear.

night everybody.

/GNU

Last edited: 1 Oct 2006
  15. jaguarking11

jaguarking11 Peterbilt-strong

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Great work. You have managed to build something that looks astonishing as well as functional in every way.

Great work, I hope you get another project going soon as id like to see more of your work.

Congrats.

16. BlueBerryBoy

BlueBerryBoy What's a Dremel?

Really nice work. Already waiting for more projects from you

(trodde bara amerikaner hade skillsen du har ;))

17. Lord Kordir

Lord Kordir What's a Dremel?

For once I had to join the bandwagon and tell you how good your project is. :rock:

18. SIMSY

SIMSY What's a Dremel?

so basicly this is a normal projector with a LCD screen infroont of the light.
    Thats awesome and came out looking so.. classic/modern :S

id love to see a matching shuttle next to it lol

19. The_Gnu

The_Gnu 8-bit addict

I guess when you say "normal projector" you mean OverHead projector?? Yeah In a simple way you could say this is a normal overhead projector but instead of a translucent paper you place a stripped down LCD screen in its place.

well.....you kind of will :naughty:

/GNU

20. The_Gnu

The_Gnu 8-bit addict

Here is a really crapy clip of the projector running. Photobucket must have downsized the quality, because this looks really crapy, looks like the pixels are huge. but they aren't..Will try to get a better video later on. But anyway.. you get a feeling of it running. The screensize is 70"-75"

[​IMG]

/GNU