Power Supply Questions

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by sgt_pepper12, 10 Oct 2006.

1. sgt_pepper12

sgt_pepper12 What's a Dremel?

2. Highland3r

Highland3r Minimodder

Should be fine yea :)

3. Hazardous

Hazardous What's a Dremel?

I honestly don't think it'll be up to the job?
    Far too many folks building themselves a system for the first time, seem to think it's OK to skimp on the price of a PSU... when in fact the PSU is the most important component in any system!

Skimp on price/quality, and you're likely letting yourself in for not only major disappointment when you find it isn't up to the job (cheap PSU's can hardly ever maintain their rated output - e.g. a "500w" PSU can likely only maintain in the order of 250w - 300w!)... but the possibility of taking other [expensive] components with it if/when it fails :eeek:

You really ought to be looking at respected, brand name PSU's - i.e. Seasonic, Tagan, FSP, OCZ, Silverstone, Enermax, Hyper Type-R etc.

Anyway... for future reference... use this PSU Calculator as a rough guide on how much power your system/intended system consumes... thus giving you an idea of what power PSU you should be looking at.

You'll want to err on the side of caution obviously - so you ought to be looking at a PSU with at least 100w more than the resulting figure you get from that calculator - to allow for any calculation errors, and to cater for future additions to your system (SLI'd graphics cards, extra HDD's etc) :idea:

4. FaiNT`

FaiNT` What's a Dremel?

The wattage is fine, the brand is not. Go for someone more renowned like Tagan, OCZ or Hiper.

5. slinger

slinger Minimodder

I can recommend the Hyper type R modular supplies, rock stable rails and so easy to work with. Theyre quite cheap too :)

6. Highland3r

Highland3r Minimodder

Hiper AREN'T a renowned brand. They're ok but nothing special.
    The Ultra has decent rails, while it might not be the best of supplies kicking about it will (as the thread starter asked) power his system.
    If he's wanting to overclock or push the system a little further, then it might well be worth looking elsewhere.

<edit>When are people going to stop placing Hiper along with brands such as Tagan, OCZ, PP&C and Seasonic. Don't "dis" Ultra, then go and reccomend Hiper... </edit>

7. Behemoth

Behemoth Timelord in training

Can't stress this enough really but a god branded power supply is the only way forward, in the last 3 years or so I have been through several PSU's because I'm a tight fisted sod and won;t cough up for a decent brand. I had to this year, I was previously running some un named ting I had from Aria, and although it was 550 watts, the quality wasn't there when I upgraded to 64 bit kit. Bought a 480 watt xilence power unit and not had a problem since :)

8. slinger

slinger Minimodder

A) I didnt "diss" the Ultra, I didnt even comment on it :eyebrow:
    B) Ive used quite a few different "top end" psu's and this Hyper has been by far the most reliable and stable of the lot. Its got my Opteron running up a good sweat, its running my raid array, a 7900GT, 2 gig of OCZ at 280mhz, 2 optical drives, my audigy, pvr250 and 6 different USB devices. Not bad really dont you think? :thumb:

I think the numerous "rave reviews" from various overclocking websites and magazines pretty much confirm that this isnt just a "budget" psu but competes very well with the best of them. Out of interest, have you used one of these before?

9. Guest-23315

Guest-23315 Guest

i love my Hiper Type-r 580w.....

modular, quiet and sexy..!

10. Highland3r

Highland3r Minimodder

You didn't, others seemed to (hence not quoting)

Yup, not bad at all. Still won't recommend em tho

Nope. Tend to choose decent PSU's.

btw, this wasn't a personal attack - just don't and wouldn't class Hipers in the same league as the Tagans/Seasonics/etc's of the world.

11. Behemoth

Behemoth Timelord in training

At least the OP hadn't settled on Q-Tec, AKA Q-Bomb. Then he would have deserved a kick in the backside.

12. slinger

slinger Minimodder

Now that I do agree with! :clap:

13. Bbq.of.DooM

Bbq.of.DooM Custom User Title

Correct.
    also correct.
    I wouldn't put Tagen or Hiper in the same catagory. Tagen is Topower, and while better than most, are not even close to the others. They crossload terribly, voltage regulation could be better, and they are just lacking in may other catagories.
    Hiper, they make a good supply, but the Type-R 580w is really only 550w. Hiper lied the last 30w. I would still take those over others.

Anyway... for future reference... use this PSU Calculator as a rough guide on how much power your system/intended system consumes... thus giving you an idea of what power PSU you should be looking at.

Don't bother with that PSU calculator. It's full of crap. It said my rig, which is just a single opteron, a 6600gt, and 2 hard drives, pulls more than 450w. I know for a fact that it doesn't even do 300. Headroom is important though.

It's not the wattage. It's the amperage on the rails, and distribution. You can have a 580w psu with only 18a on the +12v, or you can have a 400w psu with 32a.

Again, Tagen < others. OCZ Powerstream 520 SLI (blue led only) is good, but I don't recommend any other powerstreams, any of the modstreams. The GameXstream is a good series, recommended. Again, see above for hiper.

Andyson, the actual manufacturer of Hiper, are quite good compared to some others. They aren't too special, I don't recommend it for SLI, and it's really only 550w. Not 580.

The Ultra is enough for his system. If he wants more, then htere are also other supplies which will do much better, but for much more money.

when will people stop putting Tagen with PCP&C? THEY AREN'T THAT GOOD! Definatly not recommended by me.

Brand name is very important. Quality is important. Don't save your money here.

If you want to know what I think of what the best supplies are, they'd be something like this:

zippy/emacs
    Etasis
    PCP&C
    enhance
    Seasonic
    Seventeam

blah blah blah.

14. FaiNT`

FaiNT` What's a Dremel?

In my opinion Tagan make the best PSU's by a long shot, i put them in a whole different league to the others.

To say that Hiper isn't a renowned brand is true, but that's not the point, they are awesome PSU's nonetheless.

15. Bbq.of.DooM

testing proves otherwise that Tagan makes the best power supplies. I wouldn't put them anywhere NEAR Zippy or Seventeam. Or even Channelwell, andyson, and Definatly not seasonic.

16. Highland3r

Highland3r Minimodder

So your basing the fact that Tagan don't make good PSU's on 1 review...?

17. FaiNT`

FaiNT` What's a Dremel?

That seems completey illogical to me, i've read numerous reviews where the Tagan came out on top by a long shot, particularily in magazines.

18. Bbq.of.DooM

But what did the magazines use to test it? A system, or a static load tester? Considering that even an Intel P4 670 with a 6800GT, doesn't even come CLOSE to drawing 300w at max load, I don't see how those are logical. You're trying to load a 530w with 300w? Good luck :\

Find someone with a Tagan, and a high end system: Sli, tons of drives, etc. Something Very powerful. You'll see someone with voltages all over the place.

Add to that, you know why internet reviews are usually ********? Because reviewers get the item for free. Instant boost.

Find me someone with a good load tester, not a system, has tested a Tagen on it all the way up to the max load, and has total rail stability and no ripple.

19. Highland3r

Highland3r Minimodder

Review for example take the whole thing with a pinch of salt though. The reviews rigged, the guys obviously paid by Tagan as he uses one himself and recommened it on the last page. Shocking behaviour from a reviewer... :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

20. specofdust

specofdust Banned

Exactly what I've been saying the last while, Hiper aren't anything fantastic, they're distinctly average PSU's.

I don't trust tagan myself, but Antec, Seasonic, Fortron(If I recall correctly), OCZ and PC Power and Cooling all make great PSU's. Personally I'd pick Seasonic every time now.