1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Motors Biodiesel in a Peugeot 205 GRD

Discussion in 'General' started by xen0morph, 17 Oct 2006.

1. xen0morph

xen0morph Bargain wine connoisseur

Will it work? Will I need to swap any of the hoses or anything? I'm expecting to have to change the fuel filter after switching to bio but apart from that?

I've just found a biodiesel filling station in Burnley - http://www.ecobiodiesel.co.uk/

2. GreatOldOne

GreatOldOne Wannabe Martian

All depends on wether you have rubber fuel lines. The blurb on the Biodiesel website mentions that if you do you will have to replace them - so I guess the biodiesel will soften the rubber or something.

Apart from that, I don't think you have to change anything. I remeber seeing an episode of Mythbusters where they ran a completely unmodified Merc diesel on old chip oil. All they did was filter it to get rid of all the burnt crap in it before putting it in the tank. :D

3. xen0morph

Well I used to run a Cavalier TD on straight veggie oil :p but I want to go legal now so I'd rather use biodiesel, and I hear it's more corrosive, I'm not sure if that car has rubber fuel lines so that's why I'm a bit hesitant...

4. SteveyG

SteveyG Electromodder

Was that the one when they proceeded to add other stuff like fairy liquid to the fuel to see if it would destroy the engine? (which it didn't)

5. GreatOldOne

GreatOldOne Wannabe Martian

No - it was the one where they tried all the fuel saving devices (magnets, special carbs etc - even a 'hydrogen fuel cell') they could find off the internet, and promptly proved that they're all cons - apart from running your car on biodiesel.

6. Piratetaco

Piratetaco is always right

what you're thinking of is Bio-ethanol which will eat rubber and plastic fuel lines/components

biodiesel won't

7. harvy

harvy Minimodder

out of intrest- where will you be getting your biodiesel from?

8. Big_Adam

Big_Adam What's a Dremel?

bio diesel is really just cooking fat with one or two chemicals to make it a little better. saw how to make it on a show called "dirty jobs"

9. Flibblebot

Flibblebot Smile with me

Aren't some Morrison's stores starting to sell it in their garages?
    Big_Adam might be able to confirm this - I'm sure I saw a sign for it in the Norwich Morrisons?

10. xen0morph

There's a filling station in Burnley - see link in first post. about 85p a litre last time i checked, which is with tax paid. and i can put a 'biodiesel' sticker on my car too :p

11. padair

padair Inebriated

You can run the Pug on biodiesel with no modifications. The XUD engine is bomb proof and will even run on svo/wvo (straight veg oil - unused veg oil / waste veg oil) poured staright into the tank. I used to use a 50/50 mix of derv and svo in my 205 and 405 diesels with no problems.

Yes and no, it might be cooking oil but it's either svo which is unused, or wvo, the stuff from your chipshop, but it's strained and then has to undergo transesterification to be classed as biodiesel. Basically the bonds in the oil are broken down to make the fuel less viscous.

You can make biodiesel in your garage, but unless you're doing a lot of miles and have a ready source of oil, it's cheaper and less hassle to just buy it from a filling station (you don't have to deal with HMRC then). SVO/WVO don't attract the same tax incentives as biodiesel.

Have a look at http://www.biodieselfillingstations.co.uk/outlets.htm for more dealers

12. harvy

harvy Minimodder

I was looking into making some ( just for curiositys sake) and hit a problem- chemicals wise you need 3.5g of sodium hydroxide, none of the weighing scales i have are accurate enough to messure this! :wallbash:

13. DougEdey

DougEdey I pwn all your storage

Use drug dealers scales.

14. harvy

harvy Minimodder

know where i can get my hands on a set? :D (that is without the police checkin up on me!!!)

15. xen0morph

Any head shop.

It's not illegal to buy them anyway.

16. DougEdey

DougEdey I pwn all your storage

If you're in the UK maplin do them.

17. DXR_13KE

DXR_13KE BananaModder

i hope this biodiesel gets here soon..... how much is the price diference between biodiesel and normal diesel?

edit: i found this:

from here .

Last edited: 23 Oct 2006
  18. padair

padair Inebriated

At the minute according to that website, there is little difference, it's 88.0p a litre, and Derv from Asda is 88.9p a litre, (Asda claim to have national pricing so it should be the same all over the UK)

Tags: