1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Drive-by shooting at PS3 queue

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Garside, 16 Nov 2006.

1. Garside

Garside What's a Dremel?

2. Nature

Nature Minimodder

BB's do not qualify the title "drive by shooting". A new term of high speed bb based vehicular assault, maybe... But there is only one kind of "drive by"....

3. Buzzons

Buzzons Minimodder

ROFL! ZOMG BB's!! they.. smart when they hit you! ZOMG I GOT SHOT!

4. Mother-Goose

Mother-Goose 5 o'clock somewhere

Anyone seen that video of a bb minigun destroying a tv? (glass n all)

5. kosch

kosch Trango in the Mango

there is one on ebay atm with a current bid of £2200 wish I was that insane/rich to spend that kind of money lol.

6. supermonkey

supermonkey Deal with it

Heh. A Wal-Mart in Palmdale, California had to shut down temporarily last night after a fight broke out. Apparently a whole bunch of people started gathering inside the store, but nobody knew where the line was. Store personnel were getting nervous about having so many upset people crowding the isles, so they called in the police to help keep things under control.

The police asked everyone to line up outside, and all hell broke loose. According to witnesses, a large group of people rushed to the front of the store, all trying to be the first in line. They were knocking over anything, and anyone, in their way. Once they got outside, a fight broke out. The store shut down and the police told everyone to go home.

As for the drive-by, it doesn't matter what ammunition was used. Think about the situation: A large group of people, most of whom are already in an anxious sate. A shot rings out, someone shouts "I just got shot." Panic ensues. You can sit back now and laugh about people being shot with "harmless" BBs, but I imagine you'd have a different opinion if you, or your girlfriend, were the one being pelted.

It's times like these that I lose all faith in humanity.

-monkey

7. M4RTIN

M4RTIN What's a Dremel?

this is about as silly as the people getting seriously injured over teletubbies a few years ago.. i mean seriously freaking teletubbies, are they worth getting killed over

8. Springs

Springs Boing boing

stupid really... all that for a console...

9. mikeuk2004

mikeuk2004 What you Looking at Fool!

Drive by is a wrong title for this as your giving the wrong impression.

OMG those people queing already are so sad. I know they trying to get it to re sell and make a huge profit. Thats just wrong and should be made ilegal.

I know I want a PS3 but ill wait untill after launch and when I can just walk into the shop and pick on off the shelf. Im not going to be camping outside days before the shop opens just to get a games console. That is s sad case of desperation from people with no life.

I guess it be september next year ill be able to walk into a shop in the UK and pick one up noproblem. But Im in no rush :)

10. phonon45

phonon45 What's a Dremel?

Sony really has no reason to want this to be illegal. It generates free publicity. Also, all of those units sold on ebay will not be covered by the manufacturer's warranty. If they end up making bunk units on the first go around then Sony will not have to eat the cost on the repairs. Granted, this cost would be chump change compared to any massive advertising campaign.

11. mclean007

mclean007 Officious Bystander

Why? Someone drove by and shot people. Whether it was with a BB gun or an uzi doesn't matter, they still shot at people. QED.
    I'd argue that it's the chumps who will pay thousands of dollars for an early PS3 that are the sad acts. Anyway, the early units are more likely to fail than those build 6 months from now when the first run bugs are ironed out.
    That's just market forces mate. If you live in a capitalist society then that's what you're going to get when supply is outstripped (massively in this case) by demand. If you don't like it, I hear North Korea's nice this time of year.
    I'd camp outside for a couple of nights for a couple of thousand dollars (either to make a couple of thousand hawking it on eBay or to save a couple of thousand not buying one off eBay). I don't see why it's sad or desperate. As I said above, the sad / desperate people are those willing to pay inflated prices.
    You reckon? :wallbash:

12. d4v3

d4v3 What's a Dremel?

I remember when the PS2 came out, I was one of the first to get one and paid through the nose to get it. Now I'm older (and hopefully wiser) so I'm just going to sit back and watch with interest. Between all of my mates there'll be a Wii, PS3 and a 360 within the next few months so I'll test each one intensivly and then make a purchase. Until then, I'll just watch and giggle at the people camping outside just for a console. :hehe:

To be honest, I was more excited about the launch of the 8800

13. EQC

EQC What's a Dremel?

Just for the sake of argument: what if it was a squirt gun? And not even a scary super soaker...I'm talking about one of those little transparent plastic hand-gun squirt guns, where each pull of the trigger pumps out a tiny stream of water for about half a second. Technically they're still 'shooting,' aren't they? Would you feel misled if a "drive by shooting" turned out to involve a squirt gun?

I think the folks saying "OMG BB's aren't drive-by!" are really just commenting on the fact that the term "drive by shooting" comes from gang actions in South Central Los Angeles (and other big cities), and is generally intended to be a deadly act. BB's don't quite live up to that.

Granted, BB's can be dangerous (you could put your eye out, if I remember correctly), but the people doing the shooting in this case probably had more mischief/humor in mind rather than hurting anybody (though, yes, they could have created some serious injuries if they hit somebody in the eye, etc).

14. acidfire

acidfire What's a Dremel?

for the record, any AEG or GBB at say 30ft rated 500 fps or higher can easily break skin and cause a fair bit of damage. Hell, i got shot last night from about 6 feet and bled with it being about 380 fps, so yea, they can be pretty damn scary.

Last edited: 16 Nov 2006
  15. Spaceraver

Spaceraver Ultralurker

Just another line to add to the "Top Ten Reasons Not To Buy A PS3:" :hehe:

16. supermonkey

supermonkey Deal with it

A little plastic toy that squirts a tiny stream of water can hardly be compared to a gun that fires a small metal projectile at high velocity, especially when you take into consideration group dynamics and people already in a hightened state.

I think it's interesting that someone shoots a weapon of any kind into a crowd of people, and some Bit members seem more upset at the title of the article, as if they somehow felt cheated that there wasn't carnage.

-monkey

17. Firehed

Firehed Why not? I own a domain to match.

Never underestimate the power of stupid fanbois in large groups. :rolleyes:

18. Breach

Breach Modding in Exile

Ill never understand standing in line for days for this kind of stuff. it is just a console, of which the first generation is probably full of bugs like the first batch of 360s. Why waste your life getting it before christmas, it isnt like they are the only ones that will ever be made...

from the mouth of a PC gamer I suppose :) Still pretty wacked that there are riots and drivebys happening over it though.

19. DXR_13KE

DXR_13KE BananaModder

AND FROM W.T.F. LAND!!!!!

this is just dumb

Now for the drive-by....I have a BB gun, a pump action shotgun replica, if i shot a guy with this it would hurt a lot (i know, i shot my self once to see if it hurt, AND IT BLOODY HURT!!!!!) he would look at me and see a shotgun, and scream "GUN!!!!! I GOT SHOT $%&#$&/%$%##"##%&/ HELP ME!!!!!!". how would people in the area react?

They would react as if there was a real shotgun and someone was shooting it, panic would spread and lots of people would try to stampede out of there mashing and running over people that fell to the ground.

very nice effect of a simple BB gun right?

20. sadffffff

sadffffff Minimodder

wait..it was a bb gun? lame. this isnt news. or a drive by shooting. good job, as with all the news as of late, this is nothing.

Tags: Add Tags