1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

WC LianLi pc70 - 7 Jan

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by cannon, 9 Nov 2006.

1. cannon

cannon What's a Dremel?

shplade: Im in coorparoo in Brisbane

Barbz: thanks for the comments - you wait and see - the green water will go down well even if its not clear (white additive would be cool!!!)

2. customh

customh conflagration.

Looming forward to the cable management ideas, print or real!!

3. cannon

cannon What's a Dremel?

first off - please dont flame me for the quality of these pics - im supposed to be working right now so its the best I can do.

Basically data will be white Sata II cables - they will run from each drive down and meet next to the cdrom - run across to the motherboard tray (behind it obviously) then down to the hole at the bottom of the tray and loop through on the Nvidia raid sockets.

You can just make out the cables from the front panel - USB and power switches etc, it runs down the front of the panel, flat along the ground and through the bottom access hole to the motherboard headers.
    [​IMG]

With the modular PSU I am going to bring a set of power down ("Rail 1")to a breakout box (my term, i know its not really one!) it will run from top to bottom 12v, gnd,gnd,5v. The power from this set will be sleeved the whole way and run down the board, along the bottom, up to where the Sata cables cut across and direct to the ODD and HDD's, Im using right angled molex plugs here which will help. Also at the other end is a FDD connector for SLI on my motherboard, not sure if I will be using SLI yet but its better to do it now then 6 months down the track. this will run beneath the PSU down the inside of the 2 x 80mm fans and be tied off until it is needed.
    [​IMG]

Im brining another set of power down to the bottom half of the breakoutbox ("rail 2") and it will run from top of the bottom half 5v, gnd,gnd, 12v. In the past I have had minor problems with these blocks and voltages crossing terminals (weird i know!). Basically this will follow the same path as the above rail but will drop from the cdrom drive down to my fan controller mounted on the outside of the FDD cage. This rail will also power my water pump, there is a hole in the motherboard beneath the pump, this cable will simply come out and join the rest of the loom going to the breakout box.
    [​IMG]

Lastly, my fans. I have two controllers, one rheobus that controls 3 x 120mm fans (1 port free - big deal), this is powered by a 12v output on the other fan controller (this means i only need one molex to power it all!). The other controller will control/power 3 x 80mm fans at 12v (front) and 2 x 80mm fans at 5v as well as the controller and 5 LED's for the RES lighting.

Fans from the rear of the case will follow the main power loom (may just power these from the breakoutbox) but the cables will run underneath the PSU to the fans.
    Fans for the front of the case will run up the inside of the front and straight to the 12v headers.
    At the rear of the FDD cage is another 80mm fan, the cables for this will loop out of the bottom of the cage onto the outer controller.
    Fans for the radiator will run down the support strut to the main "crossing" loom and the down to loop through the bottom of the FDD cage as per the 80mm and the rheobus power cable.
    The 120mm fan for the top 3 5.25" bays will simply run down the outside of the cage's and loop through the bottom of the FDD cage. LED's will also follow this route.
    [​IMG]

All cables whether or not they are visible will be sleeved to provide a cleaner look and make my life easier.

The mother board ATX and PCIE and CPU power cables will loop down and make it through the gap on the left of the MOBO cut out (this will be lined with "C" rubber), I will just loop it off to take care of the slack.

Im going to use cable tie down points (doublesided tape) to ensure the cables follow their routes on the back of the mobo tray. It may be the case that they all have their own and join together when in view eg: crossing between the mobo tray to the 5.25 cage.

Would love some feedback on this!

Cheers
    Paul

4. cannon

cannon What's a Dremel?

Gday everyone, guessing by the overwhelming number of comments on my wiring the sketches were crap....I knew that already!

Over the weekend and tonite Lorna and I got some work done, primarily Meshx over the front bays (note the cdrom in the final product will be black)

The meshx in the FDD bay is mounted and im hoping to mount the top section later tonite or sometime this week (also note the "blockers" over the air vents at the rear of the case)
    [​IMG]

Also mounted the "breakout" that im using for the wiring - ditched the one I was originally using for a longer one - same principles as the diagrams above but you'll see.
    [​IMG]

Finally I have decided on my feet - minimalist like the rest of the case
    [​IMG]

Until next time.....

Paul

5. cannon

cannon What's a Dremel?

gday everyone

been busy with work lately but im getting there.

have an order from performance pc's arriving some time next week with sata cables, sleeving, bulgin switch, hard drive mounts and right angled molex and sata's.

I have finished off the meshx front panel, all mounted and perfect - I'll remove the plastic when its go time.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Gutted scythe bay in place - had to make sure the meshx didnt interfere and that the bay and fan didnt interfere with the res which sits directly behind it.
    [​IMG]

Ive also mounted a bracket to hold led's under the res - facing directly up through it - the green looks good when illuminated and the "res window" will form part of the side panel.

Ive purchased some new bolts too - have replaced them everywhere - Stainless M3's! Although ive already run out! 100 dont go very far.

Only other change has been to the"air blockers" ive decided I dont like them black and have cut some new ones and given them a brushed Aluminium touch - looks good will post some pics of this soon too.

Off to a lan this weekend so there wont be a tonne of work being done.

Paul

6. barbz

barbz What's a Dremel?

hey buddy, looking good, make sure you keep it nice and clean. i do demand more progress though!, liked those wireing diagrams, wanna see it in action though. dooo it!

7. n00btard

n00btard Go away

I absolutely LOVE minimalist designs. Good work on the project :thumb:

8. customh

customh conflagration.

looks sweet! keep it up!!

9. cannon

cannon What's a Dremel?

Hi all - bit of progress over the weekend - will post some pics when I get home.

I was hoping that the bending of the Meshx with the plastic on would protect the paint - sadly it didnt so thats back in the spray box and will be getting a clear coat over the top - it does look significanly better in gloss rather than flat black!

Spent most of yesterday sanding, Ive finished the new "air blocker" panels and the fdd cage, they are slightly brushed but with a polished finish - you can make out a reflection but its not crystal clear which is how I want it.

Rest of the case coped a 400 grit sanding - looks much cleaner now given its 4 years old and had a machine or two in it. I ran 600 grit (in the opposite direction) over the motherboard tray, psu tray, floor and 5.25 bays.

I have the final round of sanding on the motherboard tray, psu tray, floor and 5.25 bays with 800 grit to get it to a nice clean finish and then ill run some autosol metal polish over the top to clean them off and its all systems go for install!

Last night I got into some wiring, extended the cables from the powersupply to the terminal strip, replaced that red LED in the fanbus/powerbus to white and wired up the LED's for the lighting of the res.

Also turned the pump on to continue to test run for the next week or so to make sure its all leak free! (had been on but turned it off cause the old silverstone PSU was too damn loud!)

I have also decided on a DVD Burner - HP 16X SATA DVD+/-RW LightScribe Drive (AH048AA) - the sata should help out on cable management and my package from performance-pc should be here today or tomororw :)

Comments are greatly appreciated - keep them coming!

Paul

10. cannon

cannon What's a Dremel?

Howdy all,

Sorry for the delay in pics - been flat out with work.

Finished off the polishing just now, i wasnt chasing a mirror finish but more a clean brushed effect slightly reflective - the results are a bit more reflective than I was after but im not complaining - love the look.

PSU Cage
    [​IMG]

ODD rack
    [​IMG]

Floor and motherboard tray (not the best pic)
    [​IMG]

Im going to let this dry...its not wet but after a day or two the polish wont mark :)

When its dry and by the end of the weekend im planning on having the psu mounted, water cooling gear remounted and start the wiring - see how I go.

Cheers
    Paul

11. Trash_Master

Trash_Master Fire in the hole!!

mmmmm minimalistik thats wat we like :D keep it up :) and the polish looks good btw ;)

12. sailorboy

sailorboy What's a Dremel?

I agree with "Trash_Master" .. the minimalistik look is Awsoome! really really looking forward to se the result! Keep up the good work m8.
    (nice to see you can get that good Old Autosol polish on the other side of the world)

13. customh

customh conflagration.

beautiful, same here, looking forward to seeing the result, but take it slow and meticulous!!

14. cannon

cannon What's a Dremel?

MAJOR PROGRESS!

Have been busy this arvo/tonight!

The polishing looks alot better out in the sun!
    [​IMG]

Water gear in the tub ready for the case, brackets on the radiator!
    [​IMG]

Water gear fitted!
    [​IMG]

Res Port
    [​IMG]

Next two photos are hard to see but its the lighting - doesnt help that I couldnt hold the camera still - very impressed how it looks!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Got some plans for this for the rest of the weekend, mainly wiring in the fans and installing the terminal strips.

Hope you like!
    Paul

15. itsjustacompaq

itsjustacompaq Minimodder

im glad i stayed up this late (its 4:12 am and i have 8:00 classes tomorrow:D) to see this. that res looks really cool when it is lit with the green liquid. are you going to have a window from the side of the case into it? it would be a shame if you didnt.

16. cannon

cannon What's a Dremel?

Better shot....

[​IMG]

Its green liquid with White led's below - case colours :)

My side panel will be two sections (this is the plan at the moment).

The bottom section will be straight plexi while the top section will have a window of meshx to allow for any extra air into the rad and you will be able to see the res through it - whatre you think?

Last edited: 1 Dec 2006
  17. customh

customh conflagration.

Great work so far, keep it up!!
    Not sure if i like the window idea. If it were me I would lay meshx over the acrylic and drill holes with some plexi-points. Just my opinion, I don't think the two-part window would look very good.

18. Ultimate Gamer

Ultimate Gamer What's a Dremel?

looking very nice :)

19. Ener

Ener What's a Dremel?

hey, nice mod so far. I am a fellow qlder :p good to see the manditory bundy photo
    are you going to have a window for that res? i think it would look pretty cool if you did, as well as remove the swift logo

20. cannon

cannon What's a Dremel?

Thanks for all the comments - Love the bundy - should be in more of my pics!

Love the weekends!

Got more work done today and some final assembly on the FDD rack and fan controllers.

Shot of the back end - fan wiring to both fan controllers.
    *Wiring from the top 5.25 bays is a 120mm fan and the Res LED's
    *Pump power through the back of the tray to the PSU on the desk (not yet hardwired in)
    *Fan cage for the back of the FDD cage is to the right of the case
    [​IMG]

Front End pics - with/without flash
    *Clean fan wiring up through the bottom of the FDD cage
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Res Money shot! Love It
    [​IMG]

Got a full day tomorrow so I may not get any work done But im planning on installing the two rear fans and the terminal strips.

Feels like im finally getting there!

Cheers
    Paul