1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Microsoft takes steps to official X360 homebrew

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by WilHarris, 13 Dec 2006.

1. WilHarris

WilHarris Just another nobody Moderator

2. simosaurus

simosaurus What's a Dremel?

this is a masterstroke by MS imo. Everyone with programming knowledge will wanna have a go at this.
    in fact ive started developing a little shooter a week or 2 ago using XNA and running it under windows, its fun to do :) quite complicated to figure out all the code, but its a good learning experience

3. ralph.pickering

ralph.pickering What's a Dremel?

It's a step in the right direction. The compulsory XNA membership requirement for people to use the games you create is a bit lame - how many people are going to stump up $99 so they can play one or two games a mate has knocked up in his spare time? If they really want to create a grassroots developer community, they need to allow those games to be freely distributable (or even semi-commercially). They could include a compulsory splash screen or watermark to limit the appeal to commercial game developers instead. Or maybe place a limit on the size of code that it will compile.

I'll only get excited when MS allow free, open source tools to create games or apps for the platform.

4. landi_uk

landi_uk What's a Dremel?

Sorry but all this talk about MS money making gets to be very boring. Why should they be open source? I notice nobody complains about pharmaceutical companies licencing of products which prohibits another manufacturer making a cheaper "generic" version.

Lets cut to basics, if it wasn't for the clever marketing and product placement in the early versions of windows, the majority of people would still be working on dumb terminals, and the home PC would still be a niche enthusiast market instead of the mainstream it is today.

So what Microsoft have made a fortune on their products, if you'd been in at the early stages of windows and had MS share options I doubt you'd be complaining or campaigning for open source.

Personally I'm glad to see the possibility of enthusiasts being able to produce for the windows and xbox 360 platforms.

5. Cthippo

Cthippo Can't mod my way out of a paper bag

Hardly. It would just mean that Apple would be the major player and the field would be much more diverse today.

As for the current topic, MS is trying to have their cake and eat it too. They want other people to develop games for their system, but still give them money. Hopefully some clever soul will figure out how to end-run them and make this a truly open community.

6. Duste

Duste Sierra my delta, bravo!

A step in the right direction indeed! Open Source is the way of the future, and it's about time Microsoft realised it. Could this be the start of more Open Source developments from Microsoft? :eek:

7. TheDean

TheDean What's a Dremel?

This is a totally genius move by MS! Genius! The emulator community will go mad for this :clap:

I may even buy a 360 come the new year - Shock horror!

8. BioSniper

BioSniper Minimodder

Maybe a new XBMC on the 360 is on the horizon now then.. and legally too ;)

9. DXR_13KE

DXR_13KE BananaModder

nice..... has anyone tried using it?

10. DougEdey

DougEdey I pwn all your storage

One of the lecturers at uni is at the launch night today.

11. Agamer

Agamer Minimodder

First thing I thought to, And this one should be able to stream HD content without dieing, Smiles, It's only a matter of time now:D

Tags: Add Tags