1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Motors First car...choices

Discussion in 'General' started by ozstrike, 2 Jan 2007.

1. ArtificialHero

ArtificialHero We were just punking him sir!

My issue was with the idea of getting a crap car because you accept the fact that you will crash, my point being that I don't know anyone who crashed in their first year of driving (and as a 22 year old starting driving is a recent enough memory that I would remember any crashes) and so (from my experience) getting a car that you "plan" to crash seems ludicrous and pessimistic. For a kickoff, even if you were to be proved right and he did crash the car the savings would be offset by the enormous insurance renewal increase. Also, where do you draw the line? Do you say "alright, I wrote off the beater so now that I've crashed once it won't happen again and I can go start choosing the interior for my M3"? It's just a stupid idea, is all I'm saying.

AH

P.S. On re-reading my first post I guess it sounds a bit more confrontational than it was intended to be, I don't need to chill out, I am already super chilly on the subject.

2. BioSniper

BioSniper Minimodder

I'm going to sit on the fence. Obviously spend as much as you like but spending LOADS on a first car imo is a bit of a waste. However don't just get a heap of junk either. I would suggest looking for second hand cars that fit the bill at a maximum of half your budget.
    That way if the money is actually yours you can continue to earn interest off of what you have remaining.
    Also any brand new car usually looses about £1000 value as soon as you take it off the forecourt, in a year, perhaps 2 when you are bored of it its unlikely you will get much of a return on it.
    If you go half way at least that way you will care about it enough if you smash it up so will drive more carefully, but its not going to de-value loads in a short space of time (of course that's possible but on a cheaper car unlikely).

It really depends what type of car you like at the end of the day.
    I would also steer well clear of the hatches you have mentioned for fear of being branded a "boy racer". Which is also another reason to stay away from Golf's and Polos.
    I would also get something that's pretty solidly built and not too high in general maintenance and running costs.

I would be inclined to choose something like a Focus or the Skoda Fabia. I had an Astra (old style hatch) and it had plenty of boot space for the average person though possibly not drum kit size.
    If you have that kind of moneys though have you perhaps tried looking at stuff like Audi's or VW Passats ?
    However if you want something to run around in, that you are unlikely to stick a tonne of miles on that's got minimal running costs the Toyota Aygo is a good car. I believe the Tax is £40 a year and it gets nearly 60mpg, sure it's a 3 cylinder 1L engine but its a fantastic town car.

Xen0phobiak: E36 is where it's at and you know it ;) (hell who am I kidding, I love BM's no matter the model, so long as its not the fugly E36 hatch)

::edit:: wow, way to ramble on!

3. NiHiLiST

NiHiLiST New-born car whore

I know what you mean, but I agree with others that it makes sense to not spend too much on a car for your first year or two of driving as statistically you are much more likely to have a bump in it. It's just playing the numbers of course and is a bit of a gamble however much you decide to spend.

4. mushky

mushky gimme snails

Plus it is nice to have some progression in the cars that you own. Something to look forward to after a year. I'm not saying get something that you plan to crash. Nothing of the sort :duh:

I also said that in the 2nd year you will want something faster and insurance will be easier.. something that will NOT be the case if you have an accident in the first year. It means that you will have to sell your "expensive" first car, accept the depreciation etc.

Just take it in steps is all I'm saying. I think you're (ArtificalHero) getting the wrong end of the stick and jumping down my throat about it. No need mate :)

5. ElectricEnergy

ElectricEnergy What's a Dremel?

I agree with that, get a car you like but don't spend a crapload of money. For my first decent car after my total junker I took out a $5000 loan and bought a quick little import.... and crashed it. Luckily insurance is fixing it so its not like I'm still paying off a car that I can't drive but it still sucks.

And before anyone asks, I wasn't driving recklessly, I just didn't see a guy coming when I was turning out because he came flying out between stopped cars and I ended up getting hit. Unfortunately they instantly put me at fault for being a 17 year old driver in a sports car even though im sure the other guy was speeding.

6. ozstrike

ozstrike yip yip yip yip

I know what you guys are saying, and I see your point in not buying an expensive car first, as there is some chance that I may crash.
    Firstly, and I know you aren't really accusing me of it: I am not a boy racer. I ain't the confrontational type, and I'm not about to be wasting petrol cruising about at night.
    The reason I switched off the original idea of an old Mini (and the reason I'm not getting an old cheap heap) is the safety aspect. If I'm going to crash, I'm just as likely to do it in a new car than an old, and I and my parents would much rather me be in something with airbags, ABS, etc.
    This car is (hopefully) giong to last me a good few years, probably into my uni years, so it's not like it's going to be a throwaway buy.

Thanks guys for the suggestions, but some of them (like estate cars) may be a bit much for a newbie to handle driving at first.
    So I was looking at something that's small, but not like a tiny hatchback. We were driving past the Seat dealership and popped in, and had a look around an Ibiza. I loved it, it's big for a hatchback but still nice and small, and there's a decent amount of space in the back.
    So after some deliberating, my dad put in an order for one
    It's some special edition they have on offer: 1.4l 100bhp, 16" alloys, blaupunkt DAB radio, and I ordered it in black. Should be ready in 10 days.
    We did look at some other things, but this just seemed the best compromise, and it looks pretty good too.

Also popped in at the Audi garage on the way back to pick up the R8 configuration pack :D (dads)

Last edited: 7 Jan 2007
  7. NiHiLiST

NiHiLiST New-born car whore

Nice choice oz, should be a good car. Bet you're excited? Drive sensibly now, won't you ;)

8. ozstrike

ozstrike yip yip yip yip

Of course I'm gonna drive sensibly. I can get my thrills on the track with the westfield :D

Edit: and yes, I am excited :p

Last edited: 7 Jan 2007
  9. mushky

mushky gimme snails

Very nice. I'm sure you'll love it. 100bhp from a 1.4 :) I do understand the appeal of new cars. And you chose the fastest colour :D

10. PilchY

PilchY Minimodder

i really do like the seat's.... if i had the cash to buy a sensible car... the 1.9 TDI sport would suit me!

11. Jamie

Jamie ex-Bit-Tech code junkie

Seat Leon, the interiors aren't anything to shout about but they are great cars and have some nice reliable engines.

For those throwing statistics about and saying get an old banger coz you're likely to have an accident should shut up. Cheap or expensive, both will be insured. When it comes to an accident I would much rather be an in a nice expensive car that passes new safety guidelines than an old tin can that will kill me.

I've been driving almost every day since I was 17 and I've never had an accident of any kind. All the people I know that have actually had accidents have been women of varying degrees of competence.

12. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

I have to admit I know far more women that have accidents (whether their fault or someone elses) than men as well!? :confused:

13. mushky

mushky gimme snails

That's why their insurance is cheaper
    :confused:

14. DarkInferno

DarkInferno Minimodder

I was going to sugest a Leon as well..

My car(s) has(have) been written off 3 times in the past 3 years, (twice whilst it was parked, once by a volvo that pulled out infront)

Would you please ask your female friends to stop getting in accidents because my car seems to have a target painted on the side, clearly fate's way of evening out the statistics. (Well... it was a woman in the volvo.)

15. pranks7er

pranks7er mange tout

your insurance will matter, if this ur first car id say u about 17-20 yea?? some firms will not insure u on anything bigger than a 1.6 until you 25 so check tha tout first

16. ozstrike

ozstrike yip yip yip yip

We already checked it out, I can get insurance on this car (and could also get insurance on a 2l Freelander if I had chosen that.)

17. n0d4x

n0d4x What's a Dremel?

get a 90-93 accord

nuff said

18. AJB2K3

AJB2K3 What's a Dremel?

The point of buying a crap car is - your insurance will be massivly over priced you you will have to go TPF&T which leaves you short on cash meaning you can only afford a cheep banger however,
    With the ever growing amount of morons on the road your bound to have some form of damage within the first 4 years.
    At 4 years you get no claims protection so you dont lose your heavily discounted insurance meaning you can afford to payout on a sweet ride.
    I have been driving now for 5 years and expecting my insurance to go back up because this year alone ive had 2 crashes in under 6 months.
    1st van drove into front drivers corner then a noob drove into the back of me while i was stationary.
    Total damage to works van this year is now £4000 Yes your accident in work vechiles do have to be disclosed in the uk.
    @nod4x if your in america why no but over here there crap
    Most will flinch above 1.4 L
    heres my guide to engine size's
    1st 1.0L
    2nd 1.2L
    3rd 1.4L
    4th 1.6+L
    If you stick to this you could save mony but rember 1 thing -
    Its often cheeper to buy a new policy then it is to renew an old policy.

19. julianmartin

julianmartin resident cyborg.

i know 5+ under 19 drivers that bought 1.6 litre cars as their first and found quotes for under 1000. It's possible if you don't arse about when looking for insurance. One of them even wrote his off, bought a 1.6 golf and his insurance when down...

20. Freedom

Freedom Minimodder

Most 5 doors have rear collapseable seats. i agree with mushky chance are youll have accendent in the frist 12mounth even its justa parking prang no one i know hasnt had a small accident in the frist 12mounths of driving.

Tags: