Motors First car...choices

Discussion in 'General' started by ozstrike, 2 Jan 2007.

1. ozstrike

ozstrike yip yip yip yip

I'm looking around for my first car, and tbh am not really finding a great deal of ideas.
    First of all, I know what I don't want. I don't want a Saxo, a Corsa, a C2, or a Clio.
    I can spend up to £10,000, and insurance isn't too much of a problem, but obviously hot models are out.
    One thing that would be handy would be to be able to fold down the back seats, so that there would be enough space to pack a drum kit in, but it's not a necessity.
    I'm still not sure about 3 door/5 door.

So far, we've looked at various things: old minis, Freelanders, VW lupo/polo. The last thing we looked at were Seats, which I quite liked the look of.

Does anybody have some suggestions/ideas/experiences?

2. airchie

airchie What's a Dremel?

When you say insurance isn't a problem, what do you mean?

How about a Subaru impreza estate (they call them fast-backs or something right?).
    You can get the 2ltr engine (non-turbo if its not your thing) which will have copious amounts of room for your drums, give decent performance (or good if its a turbo), is comfy and reliable, 4WD and should be got for a song. :)

3. domsch

domsch What's a Dremel?

finally someone who has the same problem as I have :)

my ideas for new car were the following:

Volvo V/S 40/70
    Mini Cooper (S)

sure they are there is the standard stuff like Golf IV or III but I don't really fancy such stuff.....

4. Leeum

Leeum What's a Dremel?

Get yourself a Furby vRS, more than enough power for a first car :)

5. xen0morph

xen0morph Bargain wine connoisseur

Vauxhall Astra 1.7TD Estate. Isuzu engine will go on forever, loads of space, costs bugger all to buy and run, and parts are cheap.

6. ozstrike

ozstrike yip yip yip yip

Well obviously it is a problem, but my family is getting fleet insurance, so I think I can be added to that, so it's cheaper than having me on a single insurance plan.

7. NiHiLiST

NiHiLiST New-born car whore

You should be alright on the insurance then. I would say on standard insurance though that it's not worth getting a new car for a first car, as over a certain car value (usually around £5k) most insurers will only cover you comprehensively, which is obviously rather expensive for new drivers.

The world's your oyster really if you're after a small non-hot car for £10k. Some of the warm hatches may be worth a look. Fabia VRS has already been mentioned, maybe you could get a good deal on a Suzuki Swift Sport or Fiat Panda 100HP? That's if you want something a bit more sporty than the usual 1.2 litre econobox.

If you need the space for a drum kit how about a second hand estate of some sort?

8. ozstrike

ozstrike yip yip yip yip

A second hand Seat Ibiza looks allright...are they any good?

9. Lovah

Lovah Apple and Canon fanboy

Should this be a new car? or is used an option? You can get alot of decent sized cars for 10 000£, used with around 40 000miles (no problem for diesels). If you need alot of space, then a break (Estate/hatchback/..) is an obvious choice.

If you want, new, ugly and practical then have a look at the Berlingo. There are a bunch of choices tbh.

good luck,
    L

10. Xen0phobiak

Xen0phobiak SMEGHEADS!

MK 4 Astra SRi/GSi hatchback?

Edit: Equivelant Focus?

11. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

Foci' are excellent, best-handling car in its class, and some nice engines to boot.

12. xen0morph

xen0morph Bargain wine connoisseur

VW-built, so should be good.

Ibiza TDi's are meant to be quick too.

13. Xen0phobiak

Xen0phobiak SMEGHEADS!

E30 BMW 320/325? :D

14. GiGo

GiGo was once a nerd.....

May I recommend a Mitsi Lancer Estate Sport they come with a 2litre engine: http://www.mitsubishi-cars.co.uk/lancer/

The list price is 12k but you'll get some off that, I got a 1.6 saloon for 8k (3months old w/30miles on the clock)

15. kylelnsn

kylelnsn What's a Dremel?

You want either a Honda Civic 2006 Sport

Or The BEST a classic mini mark 3 or 4 prue class

16. mushky

mushky gimme snails

Spend £500 on an older VW or something. Statistically you will have an accident in the 1st year so why not have an accident in something you don't care about because it cost less than the repairs would cost to something newer. If you prang it trying to park or kerb one of the wheels, who cares? Save your money for the 2nd year of driving. That way you are more likely to be able to look after it and also insurance will be a lot kinder on something more powerful.

Just my 2p. :)

17. ArtificialHero

ArtificialHero We were just punking him sir!

You can't say "statistically" and then "will". You don't know the guy, you don't know what his attitude is like, or his driving experience for that matter, he may have done all manner of advanced driving courses. Personally I don't know anyone who's had an accident in their first year. I can think of two people who've had accidents, and they were both after driving for a number of years. Oz seems like a guy that's very into cars, and people like that tend to fall into two camps - street racing douchebags, and people who genuinely want to drive properly, and he doesn't seem like a douchebag, so I'd be more inclined to think he'd be less likely than others to have an accident.

****ing hell, that was just a big rambly ramble. Sorry everyone!
    AH

18. mushky

mushky gimme snails

You're right, I don't know the guy. Apart from the fact that this is his first car and he's young. So statistically he is likely to have an accident. Chill out bro

19. airchie

airchie What's a Dremel?

I think Mushky is right.

Like it or not, young male drivers are the demographic who have the most accidents and it doesn't just depend on how fast/slow you're driving but in your ability to predict what other retarded drivers are about to do which only comes from experience.

So the advice on getting a shitter for the 1st car until insurance premiums and accident statistics are more on his side is sound IMO. :)

20. ChriX

ChriX ^

I don't agree with the get a shitter idea, get something decent and you might respect it more, I know I would. I find my attitude towards driving changes depending on the car, if I'm driving my old work-horse I don't respect it anywhere near as much as my other car which I cherish and worked hard to get. I think you are the only one who knows wether to get a shitter or not.

As for what car I would suggest a Fiesta Mk5 Zetec-S - great handling and not too underpowered. Would probably only be a few k for a decent one too. Although it is hard to suggest something for upto 10k, there is so much stuff you could get and be happy with.

Tags: