1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

UK Waste Ends Up In China

Discussion in 'Serious' started by mikeuk2004, 9 Jan 2007.

1. mikeuk2004

mikeuk2004 What you Looking at Fool!

http://news.sky.com/skynews/article/0,,30200-1246242,00.html

So we recycle our waste as told to by our local council and its just dumped in China.

I actually saw a Documentry Last year on this. All the recycled waste goes to Hong Kong, but if the waste we send is not cleaned then they reject it.

They will only accept waste for recycling if its clean but 99% the time its not. They open a container containg plastic and it has paper in their like lables so they reject it as its dirty too. None of the plastic has been washed.

These containers then end up being shipped to India and China and dumped on them and does not get recycled.

Its a scam, as these companies shipping it out the UK dont need to say whats being done with it and its cheaper for them to dump it on 3rd world countries than get it recyled. Its all about the money.

The council they intervied said that its all recycled as far as they new and dont care or investigate to see what really happens to it.

2. trailblazer

trailblazer What's a Dremel?

It must cost money to ship this stuff all over the world and a company in the cotswolds with modern facilities could handle the work and provide jobs. The whole thing sounds crazy.

3. specofdust

specofdust Banned

This is why I tell the hippies it's not worth recycling, and yet they still whine on about it and try to get laws made. We need to really look at whats happening with our "recycled" rubbish before we do _anything_ more in that direction imo.

That's because you're a f***ing moron! I'm tired of all these self-righteous assholes who will aggressively and annoyingly attack anyone who doesn't bother recycling, but don't even bother to find out if what they're doing is doing any good, they just assume because they've heard the odd thing. Total and complete moron, and exactly typical of the sort of hippies that are trying to get stupid recycling laws enacted.

4. Pookeyhead

Pookeyhead It's big, and it's clever.

Well said!

I'm sick of the whole thing... having THREE seperate bins, having one type of waste taken one week, and another the next.. paying Thousands of pounds a year in council tax for this privelidge, and then learning that what Im actually doing is polluting small chinese villages.

That's it.. I'm deliberately putting all my waste into the wrong bins.. they can **** off!

5. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

People are simple.

Same reasoning applies to electric cars. "They're less polluting, so it's good for the environment!". Actually, they are not --it just shifts the pollution further up the chain to the power plants. All that electricity still has to be generated, after all. And then there are all those lead-acid batteries that will need recycling... And they aren't even that efficient. In fossil fuel cars the conversion of chemical energy to labour is pretty straightforward and immediate --you lose some in the process as heat, but that's it. In electric cars, you first have to convert chemical (or nuclear) energy to electric energy (losing some as heat in the process); then you lose some while transporting it to point of use, then you lose some in the charging process, then you lose some as heat in the process of converting it to labour again.

Of course the main advantage of electric vehicles is that the polution is out in the sticks rather than at ground level in the city. But that's it.

6. specofdust

specofdust Banned

Hate to tell you this, but there was a women charged with doing that in the UK recently and got given a fairly big fine IIRC.

7. Ramble

Ramble Ginger Nut

People don't understand anything really.
    If a hippy tried to get me to recycle he'll get the full force of my knowledge on the subject of why he's a moron.