1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Photos The 'post your desktop' thread

Discussion in 'General' started by RTT, 26 Apr 2005.

1. DMAthlon

DMAthlon What's a Dremel?

[​IMG]

I love my Ubuntu v6.10 Edgy Eft! I am not missin' windows one bit.

Last edited: 1 Feb 2007
  2. Buzzons

Buzzons Minimodder

How can you not miss windows.. what functionality do you (you personally) gain from using linux over windows?

3. DMAthlon

well i gain EVERYTHING, only it's free. HUNDREDS AND HUNDREDS of applications to choose from. (i doubted at the fact you could find something in linux to replace a windows equiv. but now i beleive)
    [​IMG]

Figuring out how to get my restricted media working(Microsoft won't allow you to use them unless you're using windows) has forced me to get used to linux's broad variety of features AND the command line interface which is unique and powerfuil as all hell. (I can import, rip, play and burn all the following file types: DVD's, .mp3's, .wma's, .mpg's, .wmv's, .avi's, .wav's. just to name the most popular) Oh AND i can manage my iPod

(for more info contact me.)

As you can see i have Counter-Strike Source and Steam installed which work perfectly! i need nothing else to satisfy my gaming needs, and if i do, there's HUNDREDS of quality free games.

When i do my homework at home, i just use OpenOffice.Org(also available Free for windows XP) which is just like the MS Office. THis allows me to save as a ".doc" and keep all formatting so i can open it up at school to print it.

As with Steam and CSS, I can run miscellaneous windows apps with WINE. it has its flaws but it's commonly fixable. (to get steam working i just had to add find out the font i was missing, easily find the file (in my case tahoma.ttf) and add it to wine's font folder.) simple programs run well and they're adding support based on what you want every day! http://www.winehq.com/ offers alot of support too as well as listing which major apps work the best.

Peripherals work! no nonsense. my wireless keyboard/mouse has worked better than in windows, it treats my external harddrive as it's own and the only hardware issues i've had is with using my 5.1 sound. it wants to use the full 7.1 but i messed that up myself and i'm too lazy for it so i have it set to 2.1.

oh and did i mention, other than obviously Counter-Strike Source, it's all FREEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE. I haven't paid one penny for a DAMN thing. i have however made a $100 dollar donation out of joy to the ubunutu fund.

Linux and windows can coexist as they have on several different machine of mine before but i really see no point in wasting time to recover my XP install. Linux probably won't play your newest and greatest games but hey, alls i play is CSS.

after all, what fun would it be to build your own computer if you didnt have to configure it a bit.

i should note that much of this is because of the revolutionary distrobution known as Ubuntu. (i use v6.10 - the Edgy Eft).

i'd love to assist anyone who wants to make their system a dual boot. or completely linux lol.

does that answer your question?

4. ZenX

ZenX How are you gentlemen?

It depends fully on what you are used to do on a computer, but basically you can do everything in Windows the same way in Linux. Cedega is a "better" game emulator, but it has a monthly subscription thingy. I prefer Linux for the stability, freedom and conversibility.

5. DMAthlon

oh and did i mention that i feel 100% SAFE when using linux without spyware and adware blockers or Anti-virus? well i don't feel that safe, i feel 10000% safe.

6. Buzzons

Buzzons Minimodder

Well then, no offence, you are a fool. there are countless vulnerabilities announced for Linux every week (check SANS/Bugtrack). Just because no one bothers to exploit them, does not mean they are not there, and due to the fact they are "low profile" they do not get fixed that quickly.

GAIM is not as good as MSN messenger (it does not support all its features)
    OpenOffice is not as good as MS Office at all, in any way, its like using office 95 when we are on office 2003/2007
    The most praised IDE for programmers exists on windows, (Visual Studio) for linux you get.. VI! wow.
    Driver support is limited (not so much anymore, but there are still issues with some hardware)

There just mentioned a few issues. :p

Oh and before you say "it takes weeks for MS to fix issues" thats because they have a very tight bug system to make sure a patch does not break a 40 year old legacy system somewhere due to companies not upgrading their systems.. if everyone moved off old hardware, ms could ditch the legacy support, however it has to cater for 90% of the worlds computers, where as linux does not, and also does not have the approach of "it broke XXX, so what" that linux does.

What features can you get in linux, that you cant get in windows, that you actually need/use every day.

7. DMAthlon

i use Ubunutu for which i receive security updates more days than i dont receive them :)

8. Buzzons

Buzzons Minimodder

and that makes it more? buggy than XP .. so where is this "its so secure" idea coming from? and yes they patch, but do they patch it all? and some patches come out and cause issues with other things etc...

9. Philipp

Philipp What's a Dremel?

vim (on Linux-systems, vi is link to vim) is a very powerful editor. :rock: Just because it's a command line application doesn't mean it's "primitive"...

No offence meant ;)

It's just an other operating system[tm]. ;)

10. Buzzons

Buzzons Minimodder

Vim/Vi/GVIM are all basically the same underlying kit, and yes, compared to VS, it IS primitive.

11. customh

customh conflagration.

Take it to another thread (or PM even even better) you spamming cretins, this is to show your desktop, not rant about other peoples'.

12. samkiller42

samkiller42 For i AM Cheesecake!!

Well put fella, i agree :D

Sam

13. customh

customh conflagration.

Thanks, it was 10 posts of pure, 100%, Grade A spam, when I look at this thread I want to see peoples (read:sweet) desktops, not a Linux/Windows debate. They are both OSs and both have their place in this grand world of computers.

14. CaseyBlackburn

CaseyBlackburn Network Techie

And this one would also be considered spam cause it is still talking about the topic which you wanted to change :p

15. samkiller42

My laptops desktop :D
    Windows Vista Business and Areo running:
    [​IMG]

Sam

16. DAE_JA_VOO

DAE_JA_VOO What's a Dremel?

17. Cardan

Cardan What's a Dremel?

[​IMG]

my full 2960x1050 glory

18. samkiller42

@ cardan, thats insane :thumb:
    @ DAE_JA_VOO, i like the cpu meter, where did you get it?

Thanks

Sam

19. r4tch3t

r4tch3t hmmmm....

Looks like samurize.

20. customh

customh conflagration.

[​IMG]
    There ya go Casey.