1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

CAN I ADD 512MB TO A 1GB

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by dbarber20, 3 Feb 2007.

1. dbarber20

dbarber20 What's a Dremel?

Hi at the monent i have a 1GB of ram and was going to get a 512MB stick of ram but the guy at the computer shop said that would be a bad idea he said i should save up and get a anther 1GB stick and i was woundering if there was a technical reason why i shouldn't mix different memory amounts with my ram
    i would greatly appreciate any advice, or help that anyone would be so kind as to give me

P.S. sorry about the lack of full stops​

2. Jipa

Jipa Avoiding the "I guess.." since 2004

What mother board you have etc? If you have a dual-channel kit (2*512 MB) then it definitely is a bad idea to just slam a 512 MB more..

3. ckfordy

ckfordy What's a Dremel?

You should be able to do that but I do not recommend doing that unless they are the same brand cause of compatibility issues. You will lose dual channel if you don't have the same amount of ram together. I would save up a bit more and get the same size stick of ram it should be a bit faster then before.

4. specofdust

specofdust Banned

Depending on the platform you're on, dual channel doesn't make a great deal of difference. I'd suggest that if you have this 512MB stick availble, simply stick it in and see if it's any good. If it improves things great, if not, take it out and save for a 1GB kit.

5. Burnout21

Burnout21 Mmmm biscuits

the guy in the computer shop is just trying to screw you over, he wants you to spend more money.

Basically, mixing memory can cause problems, i.e the latences may increase slowing the performance of the machine, but the increased amount of memory will just make up for it.

Another thing id if overclocking is your thing then it will cause alsorts of issues!!! lol

It sounds to me that you currently have a single stick of memory. 1Gb under XP is fine, i would wait longer until you have enough cash to upgrade to DDR2 based machine.

6. dbarber20

dbarber20 What's a Dremel?

i already have ddr 2 i think is says single channell unbufferd ecc or something like that it runs a at 533mhz not the best but allright

7. zr_ox

zr_ox Whooolapoook

Provided you get the same speed ram it will make no difference at all.

Go for it :thumb: