1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News 1,000+ PS2 titles to work on EU PS3

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Tim S, 2 Mar 2007.

1. Tim S

Tim S OG

2. DougEdey

DougEdey I pwn all your storage

Number. Out. Of. Arse.

3. _DTM2000_

_DTM2000_ Minimodder

Just what I was thinking, marketing BS. Why do Sony think it's ok to blatantly rip off customers with their sub-standard over priced george foreman grill lookalike plastic box. I never thought a company could make a product that I so strongly didn't want to buy. This is supposed to be a must have uber fantastic bit of technology that I dream of owning but I'd rather buy unnecessary dental surgery. :grr:

4. riggs

riggs ^_^

I thought that the 'Emotion Engine' was the main PS2 CPU, with the 'Graphics Synthesizer' handling all graphics (Emotion Engine :duh: !? It's just a CPU damnit!)?

1,000 titles?! Yeah, maybe by 2010...

5. mmorgue

mmorgue What's a Dremel?

Never - why would they?? There's no laws to say they can't charge more, there's no govt body (that I'm aware of) to stand up and defend our rights to fair pricing. It's always *assumed* that because we're the UK (and Europe), we always have to pay more.

Sony, M$, car manufacturers... anyone and everyone will charge more here than elsewhere because they know they can get away with it. <shrug>

6. Solidus

Solidus Superhuman

everyday i pray the sony ps3 fails. We as european customers-need it to fail. Atleast it will encourage them to better their piece of crap products and try and improve things to compete.
    I hope Sony fall flat on their face, nintendo wii for mii! hell il even buy an x-box now.

7. Bladestorm

Bladestorm What's a Dremel?

Wasn't it the same Phil who had Kotaku blackballed* for going live with a rumour** from a reliable source what yesterday ?

* = Sony wanted there debug PS3 back and were "de-inviting" them from all future sony events.
    ** = That Sony are working on a copy of nintendo's mii's etc called "PS3 Home".

8. Swafeman

Swafeman Minimodder

Seems quite a large number, seing as it has the same problem as the 360, yet the 360 has a lot less compatibility, and I can't see Sony making it their number 1 priority until they release PS3s with no EE in USA and Jap

Also seems like a nice round number, I imagine they thought compatibility has to be less than 98%, but more than half of the 2500 titles to make people interested still, I reckon they just made it up

9. David_Fitzy

David_Fitzy I modded a keyboard once....

How many feet does sony have to shoot itself in?

10. Omnituens

Omnituens What's a Dremel?

none - just the crotch.

11. randosome

randosome Banned

Lol Tim you have a wicked sense of humour :p

I believe that's true, and the PS3's graphics chip still renders PS2 stuff

or they put both the chips in the PS3 (id put my money on this option)

12. YorkieBen

YorkieBen What's a Dremel?

afaik the PS3 uses the combined EE+GS chips as used in later models of the slimline PS2

13. EQC

EQC What's a Dremel?

Man...all the US-based sites on which I've read this story have put a very positive spin on it. Reading this post, and the comments, really points out to me how much the EU gets screwed over.

I feel sorry for you guys...as long as you feel sorry for me having to live under G.W. Bush ...

14. kergareth

kergareth What's a Dremel?

Regarding the cars... I don't know if you realize how much higher the build quality of European vehicles actually are. I would take a european built (or at the very least -engineered) vehicle over any of the shite we shodilly produce here

15. Fly

Fly inter arma silent leges

Hahaha. Sony must employ the same damage limitation PR people as Jade "I'm in touch with indian culture if it saves my career" Goody.

Sony have turned what could have been a spectacularly successful machine into a shameful demonstration of corporate greed.

16. specofdust

specofdust Banned

Don't buy sony guys. They screw us - don't get pissed off about it and then go out and buy stuff from them the next day, make them suffer.

17. ralph.pickering

ralph.pickering What's a Dremel?

That may be true, but it's twisting the knife a bit when you can buy a German made Mercedes from the US for less (including trans-atlantic shipping) than you can buy the same car shipped from Germany to the UK. I suppose volume discounts and all that come into play, but still.

18. Major

Major Guest

To be honest, Hardware pricing for the US is a lot cheaper than the UK. The PS3 isnt really that bad,

19. Swafeman

Swafeman Minimodder

Thats exactly the point it does..

..Just not in europe

20. devdevil85

devdevil85 What's a Dremel?

You guys are just a bunch of babies... I mean seriously... If 1000+ games including the major titles isn't enough... I mean seriously... maybe like 10% of all PS3 owners are going to really care if all of their PS2 games will play on their brand-spanking new PS3. 360 did fine w/o it anyway. I do agree on the price being too high, but my answer to that is this: with time, the price will drop, and if you don't want to pay that much for the PS3 now, then don't pay for it until it fits your budget in the future. It's that simple! Remember, Sony is a business and is in it to make profit, so priorities are priorities, just like Microsoft not including Emulation at all on the 360, let alone a built-in HD-DVD Drive. Speaking of that, how much do you think the 360's debut cost would've been with Emulation, a built-in HD-DVD drive, and a 60GB HD vs. a 20GB? My opinion is: Easily the same debut price as the PS3 or pretty darn close.

Tags: Add Tags