1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Microsoft silently patches Xbox 360

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Tim S, 6 Mar 2007.

1. Tim S

Tim S OG

2. DougEdey

DougEdey I pwn all your storage

They need to decrease their faulty unit rates first.

3. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

I need to find out if the patch bricks consoles that have been firmware modded or not, for a.. uhh.. friend.

4. mad4it

mad4it Know it all.

Since i have a modded xbox and own a someday to be modded 360 i tend to follow this news and information quite closley.
    The huge thing about this is this update blew an efuse (wiki it) which actually prevents you from downgrading (which can be done but is insainly hard desoldering soldering and flashing and all kinds of fidley stuff) no one knew why they prevented the downgrade untill now. But the good news is that now there is an in (many MANY people refuse to update for this very reason) they can do some poking about that can hopefully create a 100% working softmod or to a lesser extent chip (dont like chips dont ask me why). then the real fun begins.

but the sad truth is that softmods will probably mean no more live for that console (which wasnt really true of the xbox if you were carefull) so it means most people who love live (which i do) but also love homebrew (XBMC ***) will end up having to buy a second 360.

/me looks for an extra $400

EDIT:
    As far as im aware it dosent effect the firmware mods at all but just to be carefull reflash to stock before update then reflash with the latest firmware once ya done

EDIT 2:
    AAhhh just noticed XBMC ***(For The Win) gets censored out. just why?

Last edited: 6 Mar 2007
  5. BioSniper

BioSniper Minimodder

Yeah, the sole reason I had a modded XBOX was for XBMC, its a shame that this update didn't actually add something great, like divx support or something. Ahh well, it's kind of like the PSP patches at the end of the day.

6. Swafeman

Swafeman Minimodder

If people dont connect their Xbox 360 to live, dont get the update, dont play any updated games, surely the exploit could be found as theyve pretty much implied that their is a hole in the currect version.

Obviously it wouldnt work on updated ones but it would be a start, I'd love a 1080p XMBC :D

7. DougEdey

I have that already

8. mad4it

mad4it Know it all.

Yeah xbox can output hi def (not many people realise that tho only 1080i or maybe 720p i beleive) however you try decoding a hidef video file using the original xbox itll chug like crazy

a few things people dont know

1. Theres already homebrew created (done on dev kits) thats not available
    2. I beleive only 1 core has been compramised (dont ask me how or why but what i heared)
    3. X360MC ***!

9. DougEdey

720p runs fine on my xbox, using the new mplayer code. And I have an upscaler which takes it to 1080p fine.

10. mad4it

mad4it Know it all.

i wont beleive it till i do it myself and that wont happen till i gets me a HD tv

11. randosome

randosome Banned

/sigh

what is the point, Custom firmware just generally increases sales IMO - what happens when your XBox rips up the CD, or it just gets worn - they will want you to pay full price all over again
    Of course if you can mod it you can take a backup (which should really be an enforced right)

Also you can run your own stuff on it, i mean MS still don't have to support it, but they don't have to forcibly attempt to stop you from doing it

12. pendragon

pendragon I pickle they

sounds like microsoft protecting its investment to me [shrugs]

13. Woodstock

Woodstock So Say We All

maybe not so silently

14. MrBurritoMan

MrBurritoMan What's a Dremel?

yeah it sounds like microsoft has every right to run this patch and fix things up however sneaky it may have been. i still think that windows genuine advantage is completely justified however that is another discussion. good for microsoft for having the balls to take this bull by the horns. even with this change i am still thinking about buying a 360.

15. DXR_13KE

DXR_13KE BananaModder

just another PSP firmware update lookalike.

16. inflatable

inflatable What's a Dremel?

I don't see what's so questionable about it? Do they have to announce stuff like this or something?? That would just be stupid imho, to warn to people you wanna get.. And aslong as it doesn't do anything bad if you have a 100% legal non-modded Xbox 360 I don't see what the problem is.. If you modded your Xbox 360 and have the guts to still connect to Xbox Live imho you're asking for trouble, because you know MS will try to do stuff like this to fight mods etc.. As I said, aslong as it doesn't affect my 100% legal Xbox 360 I don't care.. If you don't want MS to mess with your modded Xbox 360 don't connect to Xbox Live, it's that simple..

17. MrBurritoMan

MrBurritoMan What's a Dremel?

this man speaks the truth! i can honestly say that this update does not impact my seeking an 360.

if all you guys who want to run "backup" games are scared that this update might kill your fun the maybe you should get legit versions. :rolleyes:

18. CollinstheClown

CollinstheClown Hi

/\ I have legit versions and can produce evidence. It's just security on rather expensive games...

The patch has nothing to do with the firmware mods, and as far as I know, Microsoft has no way to see the mods.

From Xbox-Scene:
    And for father info regarding the hack:
    http://www.xbox-scene.com/xbox1data/sep/EEZkykVkkFmojzapEq.php

-CollinstheClown

Tags: Add Tags