1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows Vista OEM vs Retail

Discussion in 'Software' started by scooby snacks, 11 Mar 2007.

1. scooby snacks

scooby snacks What's a Dremel?

I plan on getting Vista Home Premium but not sure on whether to get the OEM version or the retail. Obviously I'd prefer to get the OEM version as its cheaper or would it better to pay extra and get the retail version?

Whats the score with the OEM version, does it have a limited amount of types it can be installed on the same PC? Or is it locked to specific hardware and once that hardware is changed, the OS can't be installed on the new PC?

Also, which would be better to get, the 32 bit or 64 bit version? I've heard the 64 bit has some issues with driver support.

2. Ramble

Ramble Ginger Nut

The OEM version is locked to your hardware, but as with XP if you want to reinstall it because you've got a new PC or whatever it's super easy to do (I've already done it).

I'd go with 64-bit version as long as you don't ahve any weird hardware, but the key you get can be used on both.

3. Moriquendi

Moriquendi Bit Tech Biker

I was under the impression that the retail version included both 64bit and 32bit but that if you go for the oem one you have to chose between the two.

Moriquendi

4. Ramble

Ramble Ginger Nut

The retail version only has one on disc, same as OEM.

5. cpemma

cpemma Ecky thump

The Retail you're allowed to move from one system to another, so it's logical to give you both 64-bit and 32-bit versions (though you'll find you have to send off for 64-bit). The OEM is intended to be installed on a single system/motherboard, once activated, that's it locked, so whichever bittage you go for, you're stuck with it. You can re-install as often as you like on the same motherboard and you can still legally upgrade everything else.

"but as with XP (OEM) if you want to reinstall it because you've got a new PC or whatever it's super easy to do" YMMV. There's no guarantee, as you're breaking the terms of the EULA.

6. scooby snacks

scooby snacks What's a Dremel?

Will the OEM version of Home premium 64 bit throw up any issues if I double the amount of memory I have? Say if I install (and lock the os to my motherboard) with 2gb fitted and then later double up to 4gb will that be ok?
    Also are CPU and gfx cards changes definately allowed?

7. Ramble

Ramble Ginger Nut

As with XP they use a scoring system, and it then prompts for activation if a certain number is reached.
    e.g. a graphics card is 20, hard disk 30 and motherboard 50. If 60 is breached it'll ask for activation.

I'm pretty sure it'll be fine with memory as well, CPU and GPU are uncertain though.

Honestly, it's really easy to ring up and reactivate. The Indian woman on the other side doesn't care.

8. traderonline

traderonline What's a Dremel?

it is always better to go with the retail version instead of sticking in to OEM version forever. i guess oem will lock up if you try to upgrade the motherboard etc.

9. DJW33

DJW33 What's a Dremel?

hi there, i have got vista ultimate 32 bit as an OEM package and have installed without any problems, although a recent problem which isnt really the issue requires me to reformat my harddisk and install vista again. what is the deal with the product activation and the product key then? will i still be able to activate windows successfully, it is still all the same hardware as before windows just needs reinstalling. Please let me know if the product key wil still be valid and if the activation process will still work even though it has already activated once. Many Thanks

10. Hazardous

Hazardous What's a Dremel?

The only drawback of the OEM version, is that it's tied to the system on which it is first installed.

With that in mind, you won't have a problem :thumb:

11. DJW33

DJW33 What's a Dremel?

thanks very much, i am thinking about upgrading my hard drive and my motherboard, how would this affect my activation and license etc and what steps would i have to undertake to make the OS work if it would not do so after the hardware changes.

May Thanks...

12. Ramble

Ramble Ginger Nut

Hard drive and mobo change would definately prompt activation again.
    All you do is choose phone activation, ring the toll free number and go through the system and eventually you'll get to talk to a nice lady who will reactivate for you if you give her a valid reason (she doesn't really care, just say your mobo broke).
    Simple stuff.

13. DJW33

DJW33 What's a Dremel?

thanks ramble, is this the same with any hardware such as a new processor for example, and when activation is required again do u get given the number etc? also do u know the hardware changes that will propmt reactivation and those that do not...

Many Thanks Ramble

14. DJW33

DJW33 What's a Dremel?

also...... sorry for not including in first post, i am thinking of upgrading my system quite drastically and i will not be able to do it all at once, is there a certain amount of times i can ring up and reactivate and use the excuse 'it broke' lol. eg if i installed a new mobo and reactivated then a month later a new processor what would the situation be then. anywhoo feedback is greatly appreciated.

Many Thanks...

15. DougEdey

DougEdey I pwn all your storage

The motherboard counts as a PC according to Microsoft, other components can change but Motherboard will require activation.

I think that's fair to be honest, how many people change their motherboard more then once a year?

16. KayinBlack

KayinBlack Unrepentant Savage

<-- 6 last year.

17. DarkLord7854

DarkLord7854 What's a Dremel?

There's no real way to keep you from installing it on a new system if it's OEM. They can't force you to buy a new Vista key if your motherboard blew up. And if they do give you trouble then you go buy an old mobo on ebay, torch it to beyond being able to be recognized, take pics, and send them to Microsoft as proof that your mobo is indeed toasted :hehe:

18. Hazardous

Hazardous What's a Dremel?

Apologies for the late reply, but you won't need to phone them after the mobo is installed.

As already mentioned... it's only when you change a major component [like the motherboard] - or install it on a completely new system, that you have to phone them ;)

19. DJW33

DJW33 What's a Dremel?

thanks hazardous bt how do u mean???

many thanks

20. GoodBytes

GoodBytes How many wifi's does it have?

In XP, on every re-install (on the same PC, with the same specs), I ALWAYS need to call them. It doesn't want to activate. I guess I pass my non-call activation of XP SP1 disk.

Tags: