1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows Upgrading to Vista need some help

Discussion in 'Software' started by ckfordy, 1 Apr 2007.

1. ckfordy

ckfordy What's a Dremel?

I am going to be upgrading to Vista Home Premium on my desktop in my sig. Will it run Vista pretty good does Vista need DX 10 graphics for anything right now or will it run fully functional on DX 9. What is the difference between Vista Home Premium and Vista Ultimate?

Also how would Home Premium run on a Dell Inspiron B130 with these specs
    Intel Pentium M 1.7 Ghz
    512 MB of ram
    40 GB HD
    Integrated Graphics

I of course would be upgrading the ram on here to at least 1 Gig probably more if I do get it for my laptop. But cause of the integrated graphics will it run the Vista Aero thing and will it run it with everything turned on if I do upgrade to it?

If I got the OEM version would I be able to install it on two different systems cause I have a Pentium 4 and I have a fried motherboard with a 3800+ single core that is still good so when I get a different motherboard would I have to buy a new operating system?

Last edited: 1 Apr 2007
  2. ckfordy

ckfordy What's a Dremel?

Bump

3. GoodBytes

GoodBytes How many wifi's does it have?

4. ckfordy

ckfordy What's a Dremel?

5. GoodBytes

Vista GUI is both DX 9 and DX10 compatible. if you have a DX10 video card it will take advantage of it. BUT you won't see any graphics improvement over the Aero interface.
    Just, MAYBE smoother, but that's the video card that is faster as it is required to support DX10 new features.

- Home Premium doesn't have Extras. It's like Windows Plus... you have added toys for your computer, like Poker, and animated Background.
    - Home Premium doesn't have remote desktop. (only Business and Ultimate)
    which is very interesting for many.
    - Ultimate has absolutely everything.

Here is a list of the main features:
    http://www.microsoft.com/windows/products/windowsvista/editions/choose.mspx

What is your integrated video card... As I see it's an old laptop, I think that IF it works, you will have a very short battery life span... Like trying to run those Alianware laptop, 19inch with RAID and 2 Geforce 7900 SLI.
    you will be probably with stuck with Windows classic look, and if you are REALLY lucky Aero Basic. (no transparency)

You can always do wtv you want. I'm sure crack copies of Vista are out already (with added extras like V.I.S.T.A. (Virus, Infection, Spyware, Trojan, Adware :) ).

Legally, no you can not. Vista OEM comes with 1 edition, 32-bit or 64-bit. (not both). Once you install it and activate it, it will be locked on the specific motherboard. You can not unlock it. You can always call MS and say your mobo dies.. but it's a bit questioning when you do it within the same week. Then after you get slowly screwed, as your friend wants to re-install it later on, and you too, they are limits on how much you can lie, now the question is that do they log things?! if not, good, else eek...
    Also, do not have any MS support, only for Service pack upgrade (like for XP OEM). Finally you can not upgrade from one edition to an another.

YET Retail, it's not locked, and you get both 32 and 64-bit... which is interesting for when you upgrade. I mean NOW very few people need 64-bit CPU... but we will all change as better software and driver support exist, I mean what's not to like beside that. who knows maybe 64-bit games might come out soon...

6. ckfordy

ckfordy What's a Dremel?

So Home Premium wont have the Poker and animated background? Otherwise I cant see me using remote desktop or any other features that the Ultimate has and the price is alot more.

7. GoodBytes

That's right. But MS promises more Extras... will their be good, or interesting... that we have to see.

Also Home Premium doesn't have:
    - Windows Complete PC Backup and Restore, which could be VERY interested when you get an infection... With Vista RC2 public beta, it worked great, and fast, faster then if you would re-install windows.

8. ckfordy

ckfordy What's a Dremel?

So your saying I should get the Ultimate version? I am now leaning towards it.

9. GoodBytes

I'm not saying anything, I'm just laying the facts. The best ideal decision is to buy RETAIL Vista Ultimate as you have everything, so you won't regret it, and sure to have everything you need, and live with similar EULA conditions as XP. Yet you pay the high price. That is why you are leaning to it... you lean on the safe side.

If you lived with Windows Media Center or XP Home, Home premium is what you need as both versions didn't have any "extras" (wtv little and unknown it had and got removed), and the features that Home Premium doesn't have, XP Home doesn't have.

Now I made you hesitate more :)

It's ok, take your time. Either way more updates and stupid bugs are being fixed right now.. so it's better, has and let's not forget better drivers for your video card and specially your sound card. (we have the same).

Make a list, see what you do with your OS and compare, imagine yourself using it... see in maybe you can find software out there replacing some Ultimate feature that Home Premium doesn't have.

I don't want to say: "Get Ultimate", as you might get it, and you will regreat it, as you paid so much and only used Home Premium features.
    Yet again, with Retail version of Home Premium, you can upgrade to Ultimate anytime or any versions above yours! Yes you got to pay, and yes you pay more then if you just got the right copy. But at least you don't have to buy 2 copies and trow the old OS out of the window.

10. ckfordy

ckfordy What's a Dremel?

Well I am thinking of buying the Ultimate version but all I gotta do is convince my dad but that may take awhile and I will probably buy it at dell so I can use the payment method. But I cant decide if I should save some money and get the Ultimate upgrade instead of the retail.

11. GoodBytes

Learn from a Canadian ;)

Happy reading!! :D

nha, if I was you, I would pay it in one shot. As you will end up paying more with dell.
    Also you have peace in mind. No more running and see if it was payed, and hope everyday that there is no mistake, and they "lost" a payment, and things gets complicated.

For me, if I can not afford it, I wait until I can... the only time I used my credit card is for online purchased, and once done, the second after I pay my credit card (so the credit card company really hates me, and I like it :) ). I always get financial peace in mind. I can concentrate on other stuff and more on my projects and school.

This is my technique:
    I have a school job 8.50$ Can for a few hours, not much, but gets some interesting revenue to pay school books, and little expenses. Also because its AT school before class (on some days) I won't arrive late for class, and also I work during my holes, so I don't waist time doing nothing. During work I still talk with my friends. They don't care as it's school work, and you get the little job you need to do...done.

During Summer I work... Hek I worked even at McDonald, and was able to get my new computer in Jan 2006 (AMD Athlon 64 4400+, 2Gb of Corsair RAM, creative X-fi Xtream Music, DVD-Burner, Nforce 4 SLI 16x, 250GB of HDD with 16MB of Buffer SATA-II) I payed ~2500$ Can after taxes, and that was working full time during summer time at minimum wage. During the summer of 2006, I work at an electronic store, full time, and got myself a Logitech keyboard and an Logitech MX 1000 mouse. ANd have plenty for investments in stock markets, buying Vista, Wii, Geforce 8800GTX. Yea I have the money right now to but that 750$ video card, but I'm not, as I beleive it's not worth the money, I can go with the GS 640MB model, and wait for lower end models to come out and ATI's video card to reduce price. And I'm not in debpt of a single penny. HECK THE CREDIT CARD COMPANY OWNES ME ~50$!! Shame I can not charge interest rate on it. Why doesn't it work the other way too?!?*

I mean it helps when your parents pays food, roof, electricity, internet, phone, etc, and you end up not paying taxes as you didn't do a lot of money.

*When I made a transfer to pay my credit card, I kinda sent to much... so the number is green, with a "+" sign in front of the number, instead of red with a "-" sign in front of the number :D

The less you get in dept, the more things you can afford... As you see now I can buy anything I want next month, as I don't have to pay for anything.

I mean come one... imagine if you had Vista Ultimate right now....
    You will be very existed, you will tell everyone, showing off you got Vista before them... WOOOOOOWW congrats, now you realize that it still have bugs, and you have no or horrible sound in it, because your sound card manufacture didn't make proper drivers for it, same for your video card, mobo, and the rest that you have in your computer. The time you will wait to get everything perfect, you could have stayed with XP and be very happy has everything work, and not be in dept.

if you REALLY REALLY need it, download the trial version, and extend the trial, until you can buy Vista.
    http://dailytech.com/article.aspx?newsid=6573

Oh and also, there is no point in getting Vista to show off as eventually all your friends will have it... it won't, it already is no more unique. Heck If I purchase a Geforce 8800 I would be looked at as much more stupid then "cool" (heck some of my friends doesn't know what a video card or Vista is), as already there is no games that take full advantage of it, that is out, and the time it does, it would reduce in price by A LOT. So basically you got the video card early for nothing.

Here is an example with cars...
    When I see a Hummer on the street, I feel putting a sign on it, "Hello, I am stupid! Deuh!". You might think I will say: "because it pollutes".. well no I won't say that as it's not point, that would make me stupid now, as I'm going off topic.
    I don't see that person driving on rocky roads, deserts, and spiky roads, cross over small rivers... What a waist of money.... All he/she does is just drive the stupid, over expenssive car to go to the super market and came back home...
    Now I'm fine with having a luxary cars... But i just imagine the guy...

1- Here in Quebec, he are heavily taxed
    2- Hummer = useless for what the driver does...
    3- Probably in debts, beleive me people in Quebec are not flowing with cash, even in the rich area.
    4- He got to pay the super expensive car insurance which is obligatory by law to have, here. (Hummer are expensive, and highly will get stolen over a Ford, therefore insurance charge more.)
    5- I don't get it, he pays the car saying "Oh look at me I'm rich I have this car! I can pay fuel and my insurance". No what I see, is a person that USED to be rich, and now in debt. If you are rich, truly rich you are not in dept. Simple as that.

I hope you see what I'm trying to say.

12. ckfordy

ckfordy What's a Dremel?

Well my dad has an account on dell so he will pay for it full then I will pay him back and I will have the money soon its just that I am impatient. Thats very smart what you do but if you don't you should put some of that money away in a retirement fund to. Oh and I really don't brag on the stuff I get cause really nobody at school knows anything about computers except for me and a few other kids so they wont know what I am talking about. I have a job to that pays $5.50 an hour not much but I can also get alot of money in the summer to and I have a lawn mowing business which brings in a lot of money to. And I am just going to buy the Home Premium retail version and dual boot it with XP and call it good.

And I understand what you are saying.

13. ckfordy

ckfordy What's a Dremel?

Well I just bought Windows Vista Home Premium OEM 32 bit for $119.99 on newegg.

Tags: