1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Where to start?

Discussion in 'Photography, Art & Design' started by Dayains, 29 Apr 2007.

1. Dayains

Dayains Notamodder

Looking to give a bit of photography a bash but haven't got a camera bar a phone camera, just looking for tips on where to start equipment wise and in any other way!

Ta!

2. Fod

Fod what is the cheesecake?

where to start?

well, a camera is always a good idea...

3. Dayains

Dayains Notamodder

I guess I wasn't clear enough! I was looking for advice on what camera I should be looking to buy, any gooduns to start with that don't cost the earth.

4. Hwulex

Hwulex Minimodder

Depends on the type of camera you're after. From small and portable through to SLR. There's plenty inbetween so depends on the needs of the camera in terms of features and quality, and also your needs with regards to the situations and style in which you intend to use it.

5. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

6. yodasarmpit

yodasarmpit Modder

Everyone's perception of "any gooduns to start with that don't cost the earth." will differ greatly, so if you can post your budget it will be easier to advise the best route/equipment to meet your needs.

7. Dayains

Dayains Notamodder

Being small and portable doesn't matter too much, features wise I haven't got much idea on what's availible. Budget wise I'd say ~£100 but it isn't at all fixed, depends upon what I can get for the money.(Will give dpreview a browse)

Just looking to give photography a go as it's always interested me but never got down to having a go. (Gone and broken my leg so need something not too active to pass the time :lol: )

8. Fod

£100?

hmm. you probably won't get anything vaguely serious for that kinda money. you might get lucky on ebay with something 2nd hand. perhaps 300Ds might be fetching that now...

9. RickDawson

RickDawson Minimodder

10. Dayains

Dayains Notamodder

I can spend more if I'm getting more "bang for my buck" as they say, will give ebay a quick search!

11. Nath

Nath Your appeal has already been filed.

..And doesn't need anything vaguely serious for just giving photography a go. Not everyone needs a dSLR. :p

Admittedly, you'd notice the difference from compact -> dSLR, but to get hold of one, the minimum outlay would probably be £250-300.

12. Fod

no true, but at £100 for a new cam you're limiting yourself to party cams, which i would hardly call suitable for giving photography a go.

13. Buzzons

Buzzons Minimodder

a nokia N95 ;) supposedly has a good camera on it. -- other than that, you could maybe get a 300D/350D for about that, or a fujifilm finepix f20?

14. Dayains

Dayains Notamodder

Thanks for the input so far guys, a DSLR is mighty tempting, say I was to get hold of a 300d off ebay what lens would I be looking for to start with, any other bits I'd need?

15. shroom

shroom What's a Dremel?

For just starting off, the kit 18-55mm lens (comes with it, unless you buy just the body) will do you fine. You'll need a memory card as well. I'd say from there, barring maybe a carrying case and tripod, get a feel for it, and you'll end up developing your own shopping list of lenses etc by what youd like to shoot, what style youd like to emulate, that sort of thing/

16. Cuban

Cuban What's a Dremel?

i like to use local stores, go into a jessops and have a play with a couple of different camera's and then buy the one you like of the net :)

17. specofdust

specofdust Banned

I don't care if it's legal, doing this is really, really scummy. You're using the shops services that are there because the stated implication is that by being able to test a product there, if you like it, you'll buy it there. Doing what you're doing just encourages shops to lower service levels and availability, so that those of us who actually do the decent thing and pay for our service get screwed over.

18. Cuban

Cuban What's a Dremel?

ok, first of i agree it is a scummy thing to do if you receive good service and value for money.
    My local jessops were asking £300 for a camera i could get of the net for £200, and that i had seen in a Birmingham jessops store for £250. i could not afford to buy the camera at my local jessops store as it put the camera way out of my budget.

maybe people doing what i have done is does lower service levels but the service i received was poor and when i asked about he camera he wasn't even sure if they stocked it until i pointed it out in the cabinet to him and he knew next to nothing about the camera. maybe its just my local store but the service was not worth the extra £100. however i still bought my bag, tripod and batteries from that store.
    maybe its a by product of working in retail myself that ive come to expect a higher level of customer service than i get in most stores...

19. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

20. BioSniper

BioSniper Minimodder

I agree bindi, my Grandmother decided the Ricoh Caplio RR660 as listed on the Gadget Show is good just because it got a good rating on there. Sadly as it turns out it takes some of the worst pics I've ever seen and I protested before it was bought for her as a birthday gift too.
    Though I would probably agree with them choosing the Fuji they have there.