Using Live CD to recover data

Discussion in 'Tech Support' started by beesbees, 31 May 2007.

1. beesbees

beesbees What's a Dremel?

I appear somehow to have corrupted one of my hard drives. It can't be accessed in Windows Explorer, nor in disk management. Now this happened to me before, so I slyly plopped in my Slax LiveCD, and, thank god, the data was there. Now the problem - is it possible to write to NTFS in Linux? Or do I need to format my external hard drive to copy the data over. When I try now, it says wrong permissions, but I can't change the permissions.

I suppose I could copy it all to DVDs, but thats a last resort!

2. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

As far as I know there isn't any Linux distro that can write to NTFS - you can read them, but not write afaik.

If you don't have permission, try making a fresh install of 2000/XP with full permissions and see if it'll let you access it that way.

3. beesbees

beesbees What's a Dremel?

I don't really think it's worth doing a clean install. To be honest, there's nothing irreplaceable on it, and the stuff that I really want or havent backed up recently I can put on DVD through Slax, ie Music ETC.

So I'll do that and then reformat I guess...

Thanks for reply.

4. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

No, no, not a clean install, another install, either on a new partition, or on a new HD altogether - you can dual-boot them, and then just delete the other when you've finished.

5. krimson

krimson What's a Dremel?