1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Using Live CD to recover data

Discussion in 'Tech Support' started by beesbees, 31 May 2007.

1. beesbees

beesbees What's a Dremel?

I appear somehow to have corrupted one of my hard drives. It can't be accessed in Windows Explorer, nor in disk management. Now this happened to me before, so I slyly plopped in my Slax LiveCD, and, thank god, the data was there. Now the problem - is it possible to write to NTFS in Linux? Or do I need to format my external hard drive to copy the data over. When I try now, it says wrong permissions, but I can't change the permissions.

I suppose I could copy it all to DVDs, but thats a last resort!

2. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

As far as I know there isn't any Linux distro that can write to NTFS - you can read them, but not write afaik.

If you don't have permission, try making a fresh install of 2000/XP with full permissions and see if it'll let you access it that way.

3. beesbees

beesbees What's a Dremel?

I don't really think it's worth doing a clean install. To be honest, there's nothing irreplaceable on it, and the stuff that I really want or havent backed up recently I can put on DVD through Slax, ie Music ETC.

So I'll do that and then reformat I guess...

Thanks for reply.

4. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

No, no, not a clean install, another install, either on a new partition, or on a new HD altogether - you can dual-boot them, and then just delete the other when you've finished.

5. krimson

krimson What's a Dremel?