1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Apple Best Winamp equivalent?

Discussion in 'Software' started by riggs, 20 Jul 2007.

1. riggs

riggs ^_^

So, I took the plunge and bought a Mac (not a new one mind you, went for a 2nd hand G4 12" PowerBook). I'm loving it so far but I'm missing one thing; a good MP3 software solution. I've been using Winamp (PC) for god-knows how long, and that's what I'm used to (a player as opposed to a library). I don't own an iPod, and can't see my self ever buying music from Apple, so that and a few other points put me off using iTunes.

Can anyone recommend a good, stable Winamp alternative, with support for all major formats?

2. RTT

RTT #parp

Honestly I can't recommend anything other than iTunes - I know it's probably not what you want to hear though. It'll take some getting used to though... :/

3. cderalow

cderalow bondage master!

something besides iTunes for music playing on a mac!? BLASPHEMER!!!

TBH, I can't think of anything off the top of my head at all... besides iTunes anyway.

4. Atomic

Atomic Gerwaff

iTunes on a mac is great. The only other option I can think of is VLC? It is very basic tho!

5. jezmck

jezmck Minimodder

there must be some widget or something flash based...

6. Fophillips

Fophillips What's a Dremel?

iTunes is fine on OS X. If you can find an installer on the internet for version 6, rather than version 7, use that.

7. steele

steele What's a Dremel?

8. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

I'm surprised they haven't ported Winamp over to Mac - it's such a brilliant program, and a cornerstone of a lot of people's music on PC.

9. Glider

Glider /dev/null

In the same respect I wonder why Amarok (Linux) isn't ported to Windows. It owns Winamp in allmost all areas...

10. riggs

riggs ^_^

Cheers Steele! From the screenshots, Toolplayer looks quite nice (small and simple) - may give that a try. I've already started using iTunes but tbh, I'm not convinced - there's something about it I just don't like, although I can't quite put my finger on it...

There is actually an (unofficial?) alpha version, but apparently it's not too hot atm. Hopefully they'll stick with it and get a final version sorted eventually. *crosses fingers*

11. steele

steele What's a Dremel?

I know what you mean about itunes, i feel the same. Think its a control thing, in that it tries to do to much for you and kinda leaves you out of any decisions it makes!! (or could just be I don't really know how to use it).

Toolplayer is simple. And play is meant to be good for tagging

Steele

12. Lorquis

Lorquis lorquisSpamCount++;

As a mac and ipod user, I can honestly say I could never use anything other than itunes, it's corny to say but "It just works"

13. Amon

Amon inch-perfect

I 1UP this. I've started to use iTunes in the past few months and am beginning to like it. Very simple and easy to manage large audio collections--which are, hopefully, legitimate collections. However, my use of Winamp as an all-purpose media player is still unrivaled.

Tags: