1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hardware Samsung 32GB Solid State Drive

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Tim S, 21 Jul 2007.

1. Hells_Bliss

Hells_Bliss What's a Dremel?

Okay, so after reading the article, you mentioned that pagefiles screw up the drives relatively quickly, so would you need a classic SATA drive just for the pagefile still? The performance is pretty good, but I don't see how you could use one of these in your laptop with a Windows OS on it because of the PF...or am I missing something?

2. completemadness

completemadness What's a Dremel?

I-Ram would be a perfect drive for the pagefile

Did they ever actually release the I-Ram2 ? - there is also the problem the I-Ram had a max memory limit of 4gb (i think), and the first revision was severly limited by the SATA interface
    Im a bit dissapointed they never made, maybe a PCI-Ex1 solution - or somthing to that effect - the card had potential IMO - but they seemed to ditch it :(

3. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

SATA 1 yes, because getting a "harddrive" to be seen on a "non-harddrive" interface is difficult and costs more. It's still 4GB limited iirc.

Hells Bliss - As I said in the review, Samsung and other SSD makers use a bit-varying technique to average out where the data is put so you should have a comparable failure rate to a normal harddrive.

4. sinizterguy

sinizterguy Dark & Sinizter

Iram will accept 7gb as long as the first stick is ECC registered. The other 3 than be normal 2gb sticks.

I saw this over at 2cpu.

5. JinkzUK

JinkzUK What's a Dremel?

£199 ex vat to buy from distribution!

6. completemadness

fair enough, but a SATA2 version would be better ;)

Edit:
    Actually, couldn't you just make the card you slot into the PCI-E slot have a hard disc controller ? and then you can do what you want on the other side of the controller

7. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

Yes but it takes drivers whereas SATA is native. Drivers cost money etc :)

8. completemadness

there are loads of HDD controllers out there, you would just need to be able to make your array of chips talk to the HDD controller

9. simosaurus

simosaurus What's a Dremel?

u sure? last HD i took apart i was able to bend the platter double before it broke

10. Akava

Akava Lurking...

I read a review on these recently, if i recall correctly, the power usage was alot lower than a normal HDD, and as such the heat was lower too. But, at a price, in that although they are incredibly fast considering, they are, as of yet, only small, it won't last as long as a "standard" HDD, much like other flash devices. But, with the invention, and progression of "Phase-change" memory, we could be seeing in the next few years drives that are not only tiny in physical size, but massive in memory, with miniscule power requirements compared to our current hardware.

11. Akava

Akava Lurking...

Same here, only drive and i was bored, so i decided i wanted the disc out, couldn't find the screw bit i needed, so bent the hell out of it, certainly wasn't like any glass i've ever seen.

12. The_Beast

The_Beast I like wood ಠ_ಠ

wow SSD are really cool (sorry bad pun)

13. cpemma

cpemma Ecky thump

Glass-ceramic platters have been around for a long time, but you'll still find aluminium ones in older smaller-capacity drives; the glass ones can be made thinner to squeeze more surfaces into the available height.

Here's Hat Monster doing SSD on the cheap;
    :clap:

Tags: Add Tags