1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Attack of the spiders!

Discussion in 'General' started by Malvolio, 16 Sep 2007.

1. Malvolio

Malvolio .

So I decide to do some cleaning today, only to find that my external drive on the computer in the main room has been covered by spider webs! Gah! Anyway, picture (click for slightly larger - not much larger though):

[​IMG]

So, anyway, what are some good ways to get rid of spiders, and bugs in general? As my house (basement anyway) is just filled with spiders and small insects. As well, I've got a small family of flies buzzing about upstairs that I cannot seem to get rid of...

It's not a big problem, just slightly annoying (such as in this case).

2. DougEdey

DougEdey I pwn all your storage

Just get one of the Fly Zappers from a home store, not sure where to go in Canada tho :p

3. Spaceraver

Spaceraver Ultralurker

Keep the spiders dude.. That means less other insects as flies and stuff like that.. Plus a house with spiders in them means a healthy house. (old tales)

4. Malvolio

Malvolio .

@Spaceraver: yes, thats nice and all, but they get IN MY HAIR! I don't like them in my hair... And their webs are so sticky...

5. MaximumShow

MaximumShow Minimodder

Spiders and other insects have an innate fear of fire. A quick solution is to go to a local gas station and get yourself some matches and gasoline. Gasoline will act as a catalyser, and aid in the expropriation of the pests. A good rule of thumb is approx 1 litre:5 sq feet of surface area to disinfect. For best results, cover the gasoline in newspaper and oily rags. Strangely this is the type of procedure which is usually best left unattended for maximum effect.

6. Neogumbercules

Neogumbercules What's a Dremel?

You can get a bug bomb.

More commonly known as an insect fogger. Just make sure you follow the directions carefully.

7. Rocket733

Rocket733 Austerity - It's the only way

I think a combination of MaximumShow + Neoqumbercules will be the best ;).

8. Malvolio

Malvolio .

See, I would, except I've heard that those bug-bombs are bad for pets. And with my little Fluffy, I don't know how well he'll like it. Though I don't think that the fire would do much to him... What with him being a rock and all...

I just want whats best for Fluffy, you know?

9. Rocket733

Rocket733 Austerity - It's the only way

Malf: Have you been away? Haven't seen much posting from you for a while and then bam, it seems you're everywhere in the forums again.

10. Malvolio

Malvolio .

Meh, took a bit of a brake (got sick and tired of the drauma), and just lately I've been feeling rather emo-like. As well, been rather bored, so I figured I'd start posting again.

though this new forum layout sucks some serious balls. But thats an issue for another thread...

11. The Stig

The Stig What's a Dremel?

Haha reminds of the time i went on holiday, only to return and turn my computer on and have it shut itself down a few seconds into the boot. I took the cover off to find a huge moth minced up in the cpu fan !! Lucky for me once the dismembered blighter was removed the computer worked fine again :)

12. boiled_elephant

boiled_elephant Merom Celeron 4 lyfe

Just grab the spiders (unless you're arachnophobic, in which case use a cloth or something) and throw 'em into a dark corner. They'll set up there, kill flies, and not get in your hair (btw, did you mean *literally* getting in your hair?) As for the flies, there'll be a patch of eggs somewhere. A single lil bit of food, like a slice of tomato or a scrap of meat, is enough for them to constantly breed until they're ****ing EVERYWHERE. Had it happen at work once. Check around for anything they can lay eggs on, and use the ol' lighter-and-deodorant flamethrower thing. It kills them instantly, but without setting your house on fire (which that other dude's gasoline idea *might* just do :jawdrop:)

13. kenco_uk

kenco_uk I unsuccessfully then tried again

Apparently conkers keep spiders at bay. Dunno how or why.

14. Scirocco

Scirocco Boobs, I have them, you lose.

Aha! Your computer had a bug! ;P

15. wharrad

wharrad Minimodder

[​IMG]

BOO!

(lives under the sofa... people don't like him/her/it)

16. b1g-d0g

b1g-d0g Multimodder

Look`s like the one i threw out last nite,my daughter hate`s spider`s :)

17. wharrad

wharrad Minimodder

Aye - It's just a common house spider. I love how they tend to be bigger then normal spiders... what with living in the house with children and women etc. My partner (she hates that, but girlfriend sounds like we're 8!) can't stand them. Although I've read they're good to have around to stop a bunch of other insects... I guess it's living in Britain and all these old houses!

Doubt they'd fit in a hard disk mind!

18. Slink

Slink B7

get the hoover out
    bosh.
    problem solved.

19. The cheapskate

The cheapskate One custom title before Matty

I really Hate spiders.

20. Eraflo

Eraflo What's a Dremel?

Thanks for the pics... :(