1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I need a new mouse

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by chrisb2e9, 5 Oct 2007.

1. chrisb2e9

chrisb2e9 Dont do that...

Hello, I think the subject says it all, I have finally worn out the LMB and I need to buy a new mouse. I cant remember reading any reviews over the last few years and I was wondering if anyone can suggest a mouse that they use, or have used. Its primarly for gaming and thanks to the asus p5k it has to be a usb mouse (my one complaint about that board.)

Thanks for any input.

2. Raiderfan001

Raiderfan001 I know what a Dremel is.....

I have a Razer Copperhead and it's been great for me. Very comfortable. A lot of people also like Logitech mice. The G5 and G7 I think they are....and there is a new G9 that looks nice but haven't heard a lot about it yet.

3. chrisb2e9

the G7 does look nice, but I dont like to rely on batteries. the g9 is crazy, 3200DPI, it would be nice but I have to wonder if its something I need.
    Whats up with mice where you can change the weight? The more I look at mice the more it seams like they are adding stuff to justify selling them for more money. Its like having a cup holder on a dog sled.
    I had the MX518 from logitech before. I may just get one again. I wonder if the g7 comes in a non-wireless version.

4. Woodstock

Woodstock So Say We All

g5 = g7 + wire. the weight is supposedly good as you can adjust it to suit yourself (havent used it myself)

5. mattthegamer463

mattthegamer463 What's a Dremel?

Owning both a G5 and a G7, I feel I'm qualified to tell you they are the greatest mice ever. The G7 is heavy but still totally easy to use, and glides nicely. The G5 is nice, I have the weights maxed out to match the G7 (as I had the G7 first) and its wonderful. I recommend both. The G7 goes through batteries quick (every few days) but the 2 rechargeable cartridges makes battery swaps a 5 second affair. Better than a pair of AAs each month IMO.

6. chrisb2e9

I may look into getting the g5 then. I'll check out some local stores first and see if I like the way that it feels. nothing worse than getting something that you dont like.
    thanks for the input Gents.

7. GoodBytes

GoodBytes How many wifi's does it have?

G5 or G7 depends if you want wireless or not. Logitech makes impressive wireless mouse, with very long battery life, and very (even ultra) fast recharge.

If you want a mouse for ~50% gaming and ~50% work. Then, let me suggest the MX Revolution. Sometimes Dell sell it at 60$ Can. (no need to buy a computer or monitor). You don't have sensitive control, nor 2 000dpi, but you have all the button you need to any type of games, and great glide (same as G7). With uberOption installed with SetPoint, you can access to "Program Manager" feature like for the G series mouses.

8. Nohawk

Nohawk What's a Dremel?

I own the new logitech G9 and its a fantastic peice of kit!, the adjustable weights are awsome, personally i love a nice heavy mouse so adding an extra 28g is great for me, i went from a razer death adder to the g9 and im so glad i did. also the on the fly dpi changing is great for when u need to be really quick, (sniper tracking) and then the adjustable grips is a nice idea also (personal preference is the wide grip) overall the best mouse i have used, well worth buying.

9. Mother-Goose

Mother-Goose 5 o'clock somewhere

The G5 2007 refresh is nice!! The extra shoulder button made masses of difference for me.

I missed out on the G7 carbon editions, there is no way in hell I'm getting a silver and green one, they look absolutely appalling, but then again I'm not gonna spend a fortune in the carbon looking ones on ebay either.

10. Bungle

Bungle Rainbow Warrior

You could always buy the same model Mouse. I tend to do this and then I have spare parts when the buttons wear out. Ok i'm a cheap a$$, but what the hell.

11. ellism

ellism What's a Dremel?

I would also suggest the g5, I abuse my mice and can wear through a cheep one in 6months but the g5 is great.

12. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

The G7 is awesome, get it. The Lithium Ion batteries last for days and days and recharge quick toowithout losing a zero point. It's a matter of 3 seconds to swap them over and it feels cool to do so. Like putting a shell in a barrel.

The razer deathadder is a very good mouse too, one I use at work. I'm using a Microsoft Sidewinder right now for a review though and I'd suggest against getting it.

13. chrisb2e9

I guess it would be nice to have one less cord for the dog to chew on. she actually is starting to like the taste of that bitter stuff you can buy to spray on things. Which I dont understand because I got some on my hand one time, during supper I got some food on my finger so I just licked it off, this was a few hours later and after I washed my hand. Wow. just wow. worst thing I have ever tasted.

anyway, if the batteries really do last a long time and it comes with a spare then I guess I could handle that. My parents had a wireless mouse once and they said the batteries went dead in a few hours. Must of been cheap batteries.

14. Amon

Amon inch-perfect

The G7's battery charge life depends on your resolution and polling rate. I always have the polling rate maxed combined with a resolution which is consistently high for a cordless mouse. Charge lasts about one day or 8 hours for me.

15. THEkorean

THEkorean 42

just won a G9 at a lanparty, its pretty nice, but i MUCH prefer my logitech MX revolution, THAT is an extreemly comfortable mouse, currently I have owned a MX1000, VX revolution, MX revolution, and a G9 and would have to say that the MX series were the best. Batteries go for a long time on a single charage, as long as you dock the mouse every few days you are fine

16. Mother-Goose

Mother-Goose 5 o'clock somewhere

Why have they stopped selling them over here Joe? Thats something for you to investigate, ocuk, scan and ebuyer don't have them at all :(

17. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

Stopped selling which? The sidewinder isn't on sale here just yet, but the others should be...