1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Europe is getting 40GB PlayStation 3

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Da Dego, 5 Oct 2007.

1. alpha_prime

alpha_prime What's a Dremel?

Seems like there's a lot of needless bashing going on in here. Yeah, i'm no sony fanboy (although i loved my ps, final fantasy, vagrant story & suikoden were crazy), but a price drop to 400€ seems really good. bc is a problem, but 360 also hasn't got a great list of supported xbox games. Too bad it has no bioshock :D

2. bloodcar

bloodcar Minimodder

If I could edit published articles, then I'd add add some more information. But alas, I'm just a lackey who can only ready articles for publication so here's a quote from over at JoyStiq.

That's what it's sad that Sony has scrapped BC on the PS3.

3. atanum141

atanum141 I fapped to your post!

And theres me thinking i should re-invest in a PS2 again this xmas to play all the games i didnt when i first had a PS2, so as BC is useless on the PS3 thens theres no choice in the matter.

4. Joeymac

Joeymac What's a Dremel?

To me it seems petty to remove a few pounds worth of components... 2 USB ports and a memory card reader. The board in the console will still have the ports on to plug these parts into.. all they are doing is removing metal sockets. It's almost a rounding error to what the console will cost to make.
    All this feature removal is for is to seemingly add value to the more expensive SKU. People look at this the wrong way around. They think the "high end" SKU the PS3 and the cheaper one the "budget model". That's not the case according Sony's accounts department.
    Sony is having their cake and eating it. They drop the price of the console while simultaneously make people want to spend more money on another model...
    The cheaper one's cost savings are already factored in, all the books are aligned to that one. The extra cash on the more expensive unit is garnered as profit to the shareholders. The cost of little metal ports is completely irrelevant. They probably put them there in first place so they had something they could remove later on. Who the hell uses all those ports the first place. How the hell else do they offer tiered SKU's??
    The backwards compatibility is the real ******* thing to do though. Despite what everyone has being saying that no one plays their old games, people do! There are just too many PS1/2 games in the world for this not to be a highly desired feature. That's now the main pull of the expensive SKU.
    It's all very very petty.

5. Major

Major Guest

Think that's what you called "owned"? :clap:

Other sites have another story though. :)

http://www.mcvuk.com/news/28463/PS3-price-drop-confirmed-40GB-pack-revealed

Think I'll go with the 60GB Value Pack thanks. :hehe:

Last edited by a moderator: 6 Oct 2007
  6. chrisb2e9

chrisb2e9 Dont do that...

this is why I have a computer that I built myself. my pc, my way. Sure it did cost more, but I think its worth it.

7. whisperwolf

whisperwolf What's a Dremel?

I have to say I think I'm even more confused now than I was before, gamespot.com has the new 40Gb ps3 at £299 with no mention of added extras like games, it wont play PS2 games but it will play a lot of Psone games for some reason and then the 60Gb PS3 is in a value pack for £349 with 1 controller and 2 games and full backwards compatibility for ps2 and psone. now surely buying the 40gb version with two games will cost you more than the 60gb bundle? It’s all weird and I wish I could find the actual press release from Sony and not just lots of sites reporting the press release any one have a link

8. sandys

sandys Multimodder

Its simple really they have removed the PS2 GS from the 40Gb PS3 but leave it in the 60Gb high end model, PS1 emulation is done entirely in software whereas the PS2 still required another chip.

Sony press release

If you value BC pay more, if you don't then you can pay less.

9. eek

eek CAMRA ***.

I'm pretty tempted by this... £280 for a games console and BR player? cheap as chips!!

Time to replace my little 17" fish bowl!

10. Awoken

Awoken Gazing at the stars

As the BC in Europe is pants compared to the Asia version this is good news... Get a cheap PS3 and a now much reduced PS2 (picked up second hand for next to nothing!) that way you get a PS3 with Blue ray and perfect BC. Solved, now wheres my hat?

11. devdevil85

devdevil85 What's a Dremel?

lol I like your thinking Awoken....

12. Tim S

Tim S OG

I don't give a damn about BC personally - my PS2 is not much bigger than the size of a DVD case :)

13. devdevil85

rightfully said Tim

14. FooSai

FooSai What's a Dremel?

I never once used the BC on the PS2 and don't see why I would use it if I were to get a PS3, so I don't see the big loss. Just seems that Sony has scrapped something that they have always used a big selling point of their console.

On the note of different console models, here's what I think they should do....
    Sell a basic model that has no HDD, no extra slots, no wifi, not even a controller or case (if there are different colours)... basically remove everything that isn't essential to play. Then just sell everything separate. The store you buy it from can set up their own bundle deals or offers for when you decide you want to buy the console with x, y and z. That way you don't have to pay for stuff you don't want.

15. DXR_13KE

DXR_13KE BananaModder

thus making it nearer to a computer than to a console.....

16. devdevil85

FooSai, there needs to be a set standard that developers can go by when developing games. That is why MS shot themselves in the foot when they decided to debut a 360 w/o a HDD because now 20% or more 360 owners own them and developers were wanting HDDs in every console sold, but I see your point on the extra peripherals, it's just not practical.

17. Havok154

Havok154 What's a Dremel?

If they had done BC more like MS did and gave it a little filter treatment along with the upscaling, then it would be worth it to keep in. The fact the software BC Sony has is only compatible with certain games and you get absolutely no enhancements makes it fairly useless. The part that will bite Sony on the ass though, is that quite a few people would use BC as a way to rationalize spending the money on a system without any real good games yet. They could at least grab some PS2 games and enjoy those in the meantime while also freeing up some space by not needing to keep the PS2 under their TV too.

18. devdevil85

PS2 games are upscaled to 1080i along with having the audio be DTS or Dolby Digital, so what other enhancements does the 360 provide its older games that the PS3 doesn't? And with the price being as low as it is now, if BC is still that big of a deal just get a used PS2 slim for next to nothing.....

19. Tim S

Tim S OG

I forgot to add that my PS2 was relegated to the bedroom when we got an X360. That currently sits in the living room under the HDTV.

The only games I really play on the PS2 these days are Guitar Hero 2 and GT4.

20. devdevil85

another reason why BC wouldn't be an issue for you.....which would allow you to grab a 40GB PS3 for £279.99 and feel like you got a good deal and weren't missing anything....

Tags: Add Tags