1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Corsair announces two new PSUs

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Tim S, 17 Oct 2007.

1. Tim S

Tim S OG

2. kosch

kosch Trango in the Mango

I've got a 620HX in my system for about a year now and have been very happy. Never had any problems when over clocking or running SLI.

Maybe with the release of these two it will bring the price down a bit more on the 620's.

3. Omnituens

Omnituens What's a Dremel?

It's a real shame these are not modular :(

4. E.E.L. Ambiense

E.E.L. Ambiense Acrylic Heretic

Hm. Perhaps there's a refresh of the HX series coming soon as well. I'd love to see an 800-watter or so in modular.

5. MalazanEmpire

MalazanEmpire What's a Dremel?

Good reviews for the 750W so far.

A couple linked on JonnyGuru.

6. wyx087

wyx087 Homeworld 3 is happening!!

i guess Hx means High end? Vx means Value?

what's Tx mean?

my love my Hx...... but surely 620w is enough for any single graphics card, quad core configuration. so do i need to upgrade if i want 9800GTX when it's released?

7. MalazanEmpire

Does the 620W have an 8 pin connector?

I believe it does.

If so, then i very much doubt you will need to upgrade, NV (and ATI to be fair) are working to decrease the power needed by their GPU's. There's no way IMO that the Corsair 620W will be unable to power a Quad-9800GTS system.

8. wyx087

wyx087 Homeworld 3 is happening!!

what about 9800GTX!! GTS are not very good (8800GTS 320MB can get 12k in 3dmark 06, but can't even play World in Conflict with Dx10 effects)

the 620w came with 2 PCI-e modular cable, which both are 8pins. so in theory, doing 2900XT in crossfire shouldn't be a problem.

9. MalazanEmpire

I meant GTX, it will power a 9800GTX fine.

The Corsair 620W not certified to run Crossfire 2900XT's, the connectors are not the problem. It's overall load on the 12V rails, especially with a quad. Looking at the rest of your system, i don't think it would handle X-fire 2900XT'S.

Last edited: 17 Oct 2007
  10. The_Beast

The_Beast I like wood ಠ_ಠ

it sucks that it isn't modular but as long as they're the same quality as the HX's then I would buy one

11. walle

walle Minimodder

A friend of mine is running two 2900XTX cards combined with a quad…no problems what so ever.

Not certified?…well, he and I used a power angel and a killawatt to get confirmation not a “certificate”. Also, the 620w model is darn near inaudible which I am most certain that the new models are not, and noise pollution (IMO) is a bitch.

12. Stickeh

Stickeh Help me , Help you.

Looks nice too!

13. MalazanEmpire

They're not the same build as the HX, these are built by Channel Well Technology, not Seasonic. Not the same quality, but there's no way these will be poorly made.

14. MalazanEmpire

That doesn't surprise me, i said it wasn't certified.

15. walle

walle Minimodder

Correct, I was merely making a point in terms of the “certification” hype…that’s all.

16. MalazanEmpire

It is hype, it's clearly aimed at selling higher wattage PSU's while at the same time giving ATI/NV tons of leeway. I'd be curious to know what the total draw was when your friends system was flat out gaming?

17. MalazanEmpire

18. walle

walle Minimodder

Yes it is, and it’s safe to say that it’s working since the vast majority out there, purchases their own personal “nuclear power plant” on a regular basis.

I don't have those numbers in my head, but if you’re interested I can check with him,(think he saved the findings) and then get back to you. That aside, please note that his system is not overclocked nor have he tried to overclock it as far as I know. (failed to mentioned that in my prior post). That said, would actually be interesting to see how the PSU would handle overklocking the system.

Not for me, I'm not an avid overklocker with a rig looking like a christmas tree in need of a big e-penis:D (I can't see how that amount of wattage would ever be needed)

Last edited: 18 Oct 2007
  19. E.E.L. Ambiense

E.E.L. Ambiense Acrylic Heretic

I'm not entirely sure. The two true independent rails is very nice. Looks like Channel Well handled this one too. I dunno. Nothing against them at all, but... Well, 1,000 watts is a lot of juice and really not needed (at least for me ATM). I love my Seasoni--I mean, my Corsair 620HX though.

20. MalazanEmpire

It isn't needed for 95% of peoples systems, but 1000W sounds good right? :D

You'd be building a monster, plus giving yourself a 200W headroom to need a PSU that big. I like headroom though, i think it's good idea for extending the longevity of your PSU by not having it run flat out.

I'm without a PSU at the moment as the Post Office kindly lost mine for me en route to SCAN for RMA.....

I'm buying one next week though, either the Corsair 620W or PC P and C 610W Silencer, they are virtually the same thing anyway, but i can get the Silencer delivered for £70, while the Corsair is going to cost me around £90. Modular is not a big deal for me.

Tags: Add Tags