1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows Any1 play WoW

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by spec, 22 Oct 2007.

1. Jamie

Jamie ex-Bit-Tech code junkie

That's the server I was on originally but my guild (Infamous at the time) transfered away to Outland.

2. automagsrock

automagsrock What's a Dremel?

Myrmccheese lvl 70 warrior Bronzebeard US

Add me if ya want :)

3. Bogomip

Bogomip ... Yo Momma

Your forgetting that every few months they release new content and patch stuff that will essentially take you much longer to get through than an actual new game, I think :)

4. eeevan

eeevan Dremel Master

What is this WoW you speak of?

5. Raiderfan001

Raiderfan001 I know what a Dremel is.....

Oblivion has a ton of stuff to do and you don't have to pay for it every month. Even though it is not a MMO it is a much better quality game than WoW will ever be.

6. will.

will. A motorbike of jealousy!

Blizzard charge monies to keep their servers going. They also charge monies to pay the peeps making the new content. That is fair enough and yea, they do have the right to make profit. BUT! They also charge to buy the game. Now that's just greedy! Fair enough charging a little for a disc, but they could so easily just make it a downloadable game for free. On top of that they do charge way too much per month. Profit is fine and all, but from £8 a month, they must make an absolute killing!

7. Veles

Veles DUR HUR

Just wondering if you have actually played WoW, because if you had you wouldn't have made that comment. Yes, Oblivion has a ton of stuff, WoW also has a ton of stuff, but the difference is that with WoW they keep on adding more and more, there's so much more to WoW that Oblivion. Once Oblivion is out, that's all you get, if you want more you have to buy expansion packs or plugins, the Horse Armour plugin, now that is money grabbing.

Also, the servers that WoW runs on are incredibly expensive to run, we're not talking a 64 man battlefield server here, these things can host about 2000 people on them (and if you're looking at EVE, then that's one giant multi server monster that can host around 20,000 people), I think I read somewhere that servers for an MMO typically cost around 15k to run a month. You usually get a content patch about every month or so which usually equates to roughly the same as the Knights of the Nine, sometimes a lot more. Plus, they are a company, if companies didn't make money they'd go out of business.

8. Jamie

Jamie ex-Bit-Tech code junkie

Spot on :thumb:

9. automagsrock

Agreed. But I know that on Bronzebeard we regularly have closer to 10k online including horde and ally during peak times. Hence why our server averages about a 300ms latency.

10. Veles

Veles DUR HUR

Blimey, didn't realise the numbers behind WoW, I forget how many people play it.

11. automagsrock

9 million subscribers and counting :|

12. Raiderfan001

I've played it for maybe an hour before deciding it wasn't for me. It's just not my type of game. But seriously you think they are charging a fair amount to play a game every month? People keep mentioning how expensive it is to run these servers and you say it costs about 15K a month........they are making a killing with 9 million subscribers every month (if the previous posters number is correct). I guess i'm wrong though....these big businesses are never greedy at all......in fact I bet they donate their ridiculous amount of profit to the poor:rolleyes:

I bet I could spend less money buying all of the Oblivion expansions and add-ons then what it would cost to play WoW for just one year....

13. koola

koola Minimodder

I think you'll find it is 15K per server (about 100 servers or more) and that may not include multiple tier 1 fibre line leasing for bandwidth. It's not as simple as most people think :rolleyes:

14. themax

themax What's a Dremel?

Not to mention all the licenses they are paying for to protect those servers in the form of firewalls, anti-virus, backups; which probably require multiple servers on their own to maintain the integrity of World of Warcraft and it's infrastructure.

15. BioSniper

BioSniper Minimodder

Then the staff that actually have to manage those servers, rack space, staff to maintain the database, GM's to help players, people working in R&D to make new content/fix problems, stuff to manage those staff etc. The list goes on.

In all fairness £9 a month to not really have to need to buy a new game each month isn't that much imo, it also keeps out the "zomg paying" whiners, the little kids (well, not all, but quite a lot), and quite often (of course not always) the cheaters.

I personally don't like WoW (though I have played it) as it split my guild into 2 sub groups of players which led to eliteism in our otherwise great group of gamers, but there are plenty of good MMO's out there that I have no problem paying for. You pay to join a community of like minded gamers and play along side people who REALLY want to be there.

It's like social network websites (emo/chavspace, facebook etc). Some people will see the point, others won't.

16. Pha3dr0n

Pha3dr0n Where's my Valium?

I played it on and off for the last 18 months - lvl 70 NE druid, lvl 70 BE mage, lvl 60 NE hunter. Trouble with me was that I'm not really that sociable and very rarely teamed up for anything. Was in a guild once but got moaned at for not being available for raids, and when they found out I'm 35 they started calling me "oldie" etc. Couldnt really be bothered with it. Although I loved the game, there was only so much you could do solo. Set my account to cancel a month ago (paid up till december though) and uninstalled it a couple of days ago to free up 9 gig.

Edit - Server was Eonar!

17. Veles

Veles DUR HUR

Yes, but you'd have a lot less content, when I played WoW is was basically the only game I ever played.

Yeah it is expensive, and they do make lots of money from it, but in terms of a normal game sales, 1 million is considered a lot, 9 million subscribers to an MMO is insane so they're obviously going to make a lot of money. Blizzard are providing a luxury service, they dictate the cost, if you think it's too expensive you don't buy it, but 9 million people think it's fine, yes, they are making a lot of profit off it, but it takes a lot of work to create an MMO. It doesn't make business sense to make an MMO that barely generates profit (unless you're getting something out of it that allows you to make even more money elsewhere), for instance, if you make something and sell it on eBay, you're not going to be happy if it only makes you £10 profit but takes up way more than 10 working hours to make.

18. boiled_elephant

boiled_elephant Merom Celeron 4 lyfe

I love you.

19. Raiderfan001

WoW expenses:

15,000 X 200 servers (just to give then an edge) = 3 Million dollars
    I'm just gonna say 5 million as a guess for other expenses for employees, licenses, toilet paper and anything else they might need to pay for.

That adds up to $8,000,000 a month.

WoW income: 9 million subscriptions X $15 = $135,000,000.....as in 135 million dollars a month.

So.....135 - 8 = $127,000,000 in profit.....a month

Of course this is all guesstimating so plus or minus some millions of dollars.

Did you guys not read this and know what it means:
    Just FYI GDP stands for Gross Domestic Product. But i'm done arguing so whatever.

.....if you're a chick then :thumb:........but if you're a dude then :nono:.......ROFL

20. themax

themax What's a Dremel?

You are trying to take only the server cost portion of 3 posts worth of explanation of expenses to cover the game? :read:

Tags: