1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help With New PC

Discussion in 'Tech Support' started by Flixified, 15 Nov 2007.

1. Flixified

Flixified What's a Dremel?

Hey all, I was wondering if someone could help me.

I've just built my first ever custom PC, hooked everything up and powered it up but I get no signal through the monitor. I'm using a 600W (700W Peak) PSU from "Golden Field", an nForce 680i SLi, Quad Q6600 and a GeForce 7200GS (Just a cheap one until I can afford my 8800GT). When I power it up, all the fans work and the LED's all come on on the motherboard but I get no boot sound or anything like that. Tried connecting from the DVI out to my monitor and also tried the VGA on another monitor but I get nothing.

I don't know if there's something vital that I'm missing as this is my first build ever but I'm pretty sure I've got it all right.

Really would appreciate any help with this. Thanks. If you need any extra info just say so.

2. oasked

oasked Stuck in (better) mud

Are all of the parts connected properly - GFX, power cables etc?

That power supply does sound dodgy though (as in I've never heard of that brand before). If reseating everything doesn't work, I suspect the PSU is the culprit.

3. Flixified

I've done everything I can think of. Tried with only the necessities and still nothing. I've quadrupal checked all of the connections and they're all fine. I think you might be right about the PSU because it was a cheapo one from eBay. Can you recommend a good fairly cheap one that'll run these?

Also, one thing that worries me is that if I boot without any RAM it should beep right? Well it doesn't...I seriously hope the mobo isn't screwed.

*EDIT*

Here's the PSU that I have:
    http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=220161039091

4. MrC

MrC What's a Dremel?

I assume you remembered to connect the 12v connector?

The Corsair VX450 should meet your needs at £45ish, and the HX520 version (modular) at £63ish should also be considered with future proofing in mind.

5. Flixified

6. oasked

oasked Stuck in (better) mud

Yeah, looks okay to me.

7. GoodBytes

GoodBytes How many wifi's does it have?

The time you will want to buy it, the Geforce 9800 will be out with DX10.1 :)

8. Flixified

Heh yeah I kinda realised that but if they delay it for too long...I don't think I can go without gaming for that long :D

Is there like any official release date/approximation?

9. SinxarKnights

SinxarKnights Minimodder

Stupid question here. Do you have the front panel audio header connected to anything? If so, unhook it and try to power it up again.

10. Flixified

I did at first but when I started messing I removed it but still nothing.

11. Zurechial

Zurechial Elitist

Never, ever skimp on your PSU.

Sure, it doesn't give you a bazillion FPS in games the way an expensive GPU does, but if the cheapo ebay-bought PSU damages your other components such as the motherboard, you'll be getting exactly 0fps anyway..

Go and buy a decent PSU before you try anything more with that system.
    Quality over quantity, you're unlikely to need a 600/700W supply for that system, and if you really think you do, get one from a decent brand.
    Corsair HX520 should suit you just fine.

12. Gumbatron

Gumbatron What's a Dremel?

Might be a silly question, but does your motherboard have a speaker (or do you have one connected)? Had a look at one of the 680i boards I have at work and it doesn't have an onboard speaker.

Just a thought

13. Flixified

14. Flixified

Ok well I'm officially annoyed. Spent another £60 on a PSU and I'm still getting no response. What's it more likely to be...the motherboard or the graphics card?

15. GoodBytes

Does your fans turn? Did you try a different wall plug (different room)?
    Do you see any signal in your screen?
    Does it turn up and shut-down really quickly?

My old Celereon 300MHz overclocked at 500Mhz (in 1995?!, I forgot) had a trick to turn it on has something was broken: power, reset, reset, power. Works every time :D I never bothered to check it, as the problem occurred in 1998, and it was time for a new system.

16. chrisb2e9

chrisb2e9 Dont do that...

well, its not the video. because the video would not stop the pc from booting up. does the hard drive have an opperating system on it? if it does then you should hear the hard drive going as it trys to load the os.
    you tried another monitor so we can rule that out, if the cable was bad then again, the system would still try to load an os if there is one to load so you would hear the drive working.

you said that you have reseated everything so, do you have a friend who will let you try your ram and cpu in their machine? if they both test ok then it looks like its the motherboard.

what motherboard do you have? does it have an 8pin or 4pin connector for the cpu power? and the next question is, if its 8 pin do you have the 8 pin connector in there or just the 4 pin?

oh and does the book for the motherboard say anything about your pc not beeping? since it has a speaker there shoud be something to diagnose the beeps it puts out.

17. GoodBytes

Some motherboard like ASUS A8N32-SLI (which I have), requires for some PSU to attach the AUX power to power up. It's a 4pin plug the same for IDE HDD's. When I had my Antec True Power, I didn't need to put, but with my Corsair width is a newer standard (ATX22), it does.

18. Flixified

No signal on the monitor.

What do you mean? As in if I turn it on it shuts itself down straight away?

Might try messing with it see if it's same problem as your Celeron but I doubt it :p

No OS on the hard drive but I hear it starting up and spinning and everything as it should. Used different cables for the different monitors so not a cable problem.

Don't really have anyone near me that has a newish computer (As in younger than 3 years old) afaik. Both my other PCs are like 5 or 6 years old and don't even have a PCI-E slot :p

Motherboard is in first post and there's a picture of it that I posted somewhere up there. It has an 8 pin, with two 4-pin connectors from the PSU (Labelled CPU1&2 so they're right).

Gonna have a good look through the motherboard manual later on.

For now though I'm playing Super Mario Galaxy on the Wii! Yay!

19. chrisb2e9

chrisb2e9 Dont do that...

yup, I found the link to the picture, the link seams to be dead or my internet connection is on the fritz again. and you did say that you have a nforce 680i sli board. but you didn't mention if its an nvidia board, or an xfx board, or an evga board, or any of the ones listed on this page:
    http://www.nvidia.co.uk/page/designed_by_nvidia_680i_sli_support.html
    it would help me to know which one you have.

20. Prophet

Prophet Minimodder

I had exact same problem with my new built not long ago.. No boot, no beeps, no signal. New motherboard soon sorted that out. Just one of those annoyances, specially as i hadnt planned on changing my mobo so didnt really account for the extra cash, If however, you got a new mobo, just RMA it and see where u get from there! :D