1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Whats the best 1000W+ PSU?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by neocleous, 22 Nov 2007.

1. neocleous

neocleous Minimodder

Hi guys,

I've got a Dell 3007WFP-HC monitor and a BFG 8800GTX GPU, I'm currently powering my PC with a 600W Seasonic PSU which I am very happy with as for all intents and purposes its silent and does the job, but the other day I bought Crysis and I dont think I get 1fps with the game runing at the native resolution of 2560x1600 and I dont see the point of running the game at a lower res I might as well get rid of the monitor if im going to do that. To fix this I was/am going to invest in another 8800GTX but the problem is my PSU wont hack two of these cards so its time to upgrade!

Now a PSU is a really boring piece of hardware to spend money on so I want to get it write first time. I want a really powerfull PSU that I wont have to upgrade for a while but it has to silent or at least as quite as my seasonic is which I cant here tbh.

Which is the best PSU to go for I cant seem to find a decent PSU review on the net and almost all of the 1K+ PSU claim they are "silent" but which is the one to go for?

Thanks for the help!!

2. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

You definately don't need a 1kW PSU for that, 750W at most will be MORE than powerful enough.

Corsair do a 750W PSU which is very good I'm sure. BiT also did a roundup on big-wattage PSU's a while ago, have a look for that.

3. Bbq.of.DooM

Bbq.of.DooM Custom User Title

You don't need 1kw.

If you really want one though, try the Thermaltake Toughpower 1000w or 1200w, Silverstone Olympia 1kw (not quiet), or the Antec Quattro 850/1000w

4. Hazardous

Hazardous What's a Dremel?

5. Burnout21

Burnout21 Mmmm biscuits

best 1KW psu? SIMPLE TWO 500w PSU's slice and dice the cables and you get a quality power supply with no weak rails or over loaded rails.

HAHA

6. neocleous

neocleous Minimodder

Cheers guys Silence is very important to me as I hate loud systems

7. Guest-23315

Guest-23315 Guest

Get the 750W Silence by PCP&C then..

8. Bbq.of.DooM

I think in Europe, there's a seasonic 900w.

That we don't get in north america :(

9. GunnerRecall

GunnerRecall The cake is a lie.

PC Power & Cooling is your best bet, yeah.

10. neocleous

neocleous Minimodder

Forgive my ignorance but Ive not heard of PC Power & Cooling I take it their stuff is very quite?

11. Mother-Goose

Mother-Goose 5 o'clock somewhere

It's the best out there, they are to the psu makers what bose is to audio (in laymans terms)

12. Asulc

Asulc Minimodder

13. specofdust

specofdust Banned

Nope, mostly it's noisy as hell. You want seasonic or Corsair for silence. Both top-notch PSU makers. And if you havn't heard of PC Power and Cooling, then I'd listen to the advice people are giving you and get a lower power PSU, since frankly they probably know how much you need much more than you know.

14. Fishlock

Fishlock .o0o.

Get an Enermax galaxy 1000w if you really feel you need 1000 watts of power, however more sensibly, I would choose the Corsair tx750w.

Sam.

15. Bbq.of.DooM

Most of it is very loud (Turbo-cool), even the silencer line (80mm fans.. are not silent)

I agree with the bose parts; No highs, no lows, must be bose. Overhyped, overpriced, ordinary products often thought to be the best. Can do better for less money.

And if you like to waste money, you'd get the first and third one.

PCP&C Silencer == seasonic with an 80mm fan.

Seriously. overpriced ordinary products with a great fancy badge on them. Save your money and buy something that's just as good for around half the price. Corsair, Seasonic, silverstone, etc..

16. specofdust

specofdust Banned

Hence "mostly".

17. Hazardous

Hazardous What's a Dremel?

:confused:

750w PCP&C Silencer Quad 750 = £95 - £100. 750w Corsair TX £90 - £100 :idea:

18. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

No link to my review? :waah:

Ive gotta disagree with BBQ - firstly Seasonic and PCPC are completely different companies, secondly, PCPC make super-reliable PSUs that happily perform outside their rated spec. They aren't super quiet but they work exceptionally well. You can do just as well, but they are constantly rated as some of the best out there for a reason.

19. Peter187

Peter187 What is a Dremel?

Settle for nothing less than a 1200 watt Thermaltake Toughpower PSU. Keep in mind that PSU's last about 10 years or more and you don't wanna upgrade in 3 or 4 years when the 8800GTX runs like an AGP card and other bits and pieces. It's quiet, very heavy for a PSU (so it's well built) long warranty loads of extra cables and it's twice the size of any other PSU I've seen. Like yourself I've got another 8800GTX on the way so I need the power and I ain't buying another PSU for a long time. If you look on the Nvidia SLI Zone it shows the recommended PSU I think 900w is the lowest powering PSU for the 8800GTX in SLI but that what it recommends.

Anyway the latest WHQL Nvidia drivers lets me run Crysis at max settings and x16 but with the res at 1024x768 running vista and it's pretty smooth if your interested?

Link: http://thermaltakeusa.com/product/Power/ToughPower/W0133/w0133.asp

Youtube video Link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FHcWSfnX1s8

20. ConKbot of Doom

ConKbot of Doom Minimodder

PSUs may last for 10 years, but connector pinouts dont, and when was the last time you rewired a PSU to fit a new motherboard?