1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News MGS4 needs to sell 1 million copies on day one

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 1 Dec 2007.

1. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

2. mikeuk2004

mikeuk2004 What you Looking at Fool!

Although Rachet and Clank made over 750K sales from existing Ps3 owners. MGS4 will do over a million as that game will get a alot of new Ps3 sales especially with the new 40GB at £280.

Its one of the biggest games out there and will be a sure thing.

But isnt it obvious that games development is getting more and more expensive and therefore rely on millions of sales to recoup the money used? I thought it was.

3. DXR_13KE

DXR_13KE BananaModder

it will sell.... there are lots people waiting for this game to buy a PS3....

4. adamc

adamc What's a Dremel?

why does the 1M have to come on launch day? I'd put money on that not happening, as Super Mario Galaxy sold 500,000 on its first day (in America) and the Wii has a much larger user base.

5. DXR_13KE

DXR_13KE BananaModder

and what is the fan base for MGS?

6. leexgx

leexgx CPC hang out zone (i Fix pcs i do )

i am wanting the PS3 60gb model (PS 1/2 support) anoying as i cant find any to but that are not asking an stupid price for it or even have it in stock

i have liked there PS2 Metal Gear Solid as i have played it alot when i was around my frends house alot so id probly get it my self as well

7. DougEdey

DougEdey I pwn all your storage

I asked 5 people I know that don't have a PS3 (infact I don't know anyone *with* a PS3) that I know like MGS, 3 said they will definately buy a PS3 to play MGS4, the other two were uncertain, one was uncertain because one of the games destroyed his passion for it.

I've never been that interested in it because it's just seemed a bit tedious to me. I'm a very much, Jump in and Play person.

8. Shadowed_fury

Shadowed_fury Minimodder

I can see it selling 1m in the first day actually...
    MGS is huge now, and imo, its one of those games that make you buy the console ;) (like me)

9. Paradigm Shifter

Paradigm Shifter de nihilo nihil fit

Well, I'll be buying a copy, so that's one down. :hehe: And I know a few other people who will buy it - and a PS3 if they don't have one by the time it's released.

I'm not sure, really, whether it'll sell a million copies in it's first day, but I'd be more sure of it selling a million copies in the first week. Still... I find I'm more interested in Devil May Cry 4 than MGS4...

10. Veles

Veles DUR HUR

Because sales dwindle in a predictable pattern

11. The_Beast

The_Beast I like wood ಠ_ಠ

wow 1 million in one day is a lot

that is 41,666 games per hour, 694 games per minute, 11 games per second

12. C-Sniper

C-Sniper Stop Trolling this space Ądmins!

0_o

13. leexgx

leexgx CPC hang out zone (i Fix pcs i do )

14. HellRazor

HellRazor What's a Dremel?

Are there even 1 million PS3 that have been sold...I mean I'm sure there are a million, but most of them are most likely sitting at the stores!

15. Amon

Amon inch-perfect

Just raise the price by five bucks to slightly relieve that ridiculous estimate.

16. devdevil85

devdevil85 What's a Dremel?

IMO, the game should have no problem reaching it's goal (now why on the 1st day? idk...).

How many units have sold in Japan alone? For as many people that are over there that live/die Sony & the MGS series I just don't see how it shouldn't hit that mark from Japan itself....but still...why the 1st day? Who says that that is how it's gotta be? That if they don't they fail? The game should have a goal for the end of the week atleast.......

Why are exclusives now becoming a lost reality where back in PS 1/2, Xbox, even Dreamcast days it was normal to expect them?

Sadly, now w/ exclusives becoming a thing of the past, the only reason for consumers to want two consoles on the market is for competition (price, performance, features, etc.), but that's not fun now is it? I want to be able to voluntarily force a friend of mine to spend the night at my house just to play a game that I, and only I, can play! lol.....

The only good thing I see from an exclusive is that it plays its best on a system and that system, alone. But, w/ ports becoming easier to master maybe that statement really isn't true...maybe it's really just extra features that each system can offer that will make the game different......alright enough rambling....

I would love to have bit write an article on why the gaming industry is becoming more complex, and why developement costs along w/ console costs (I know I know this is a PC site, but still....they're specialized computers) are much higher than the previous generations.......

Last edited: 2 Dec 2007
  17. sandys

sandys Multimodder

bar the Initial offering most of the MGS titles haven't really been great sellers, 1M is optimistic, very optimistic, unless Sony copy the halo hype model but at the moment Sony haven't been very good a pushing games for their platform.

I'd imagine they have said it needs to do 1M in day one to have an excuse to go multiplatform when it doesn't achieve.

18. culley

culley What's a Dremel?

This game in the reason i plan to buy a PS3, just the same with Zelda when i good one comes out on a better next gen Nintendo console i'll buy one of those two.

19. Veles

Veles DUR HUR

As I said in my other post, sales dwindle in a predictable way. If MGS follows that roughly, which it most likely will, for the game to sell enough copies to be profitable within a certain time, then it's going to have to start off with a million sales.

As said by other people no single PS3 game has sold 1 million copies in it's entire lifetime, but if any game can break 1 million sales in it's first day it will be MGS. I would imagine a lot of people will be buying a PS3 for this game, I'm not myself, I'm not the biggest fan of the MGS series. I do like the games, but I've never rushed to the shops to buy it before, I'm waiting until the game and the console have dropped to a more considerable level and not before I have a nice HDTV, otherwise it's a complete waste of money.

20. cjoyce1980

cjoyce1980 What's a Dremel?

the only way they will sell 1M copies at launch is if there release a 360/PC version at the same time.....

Tags: Add Tags