1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New PC Advice

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Jayzet, 27 Dec 2007.

1. Jayzet

Jayzet Yeah but no but...

Heya people, Im fed up with my pc, hense why im building a new one, but this is the first one I have made and I will upgrade this more after the first initial build.
    I will be getting all the parts from Scan so please bear that in mind when advising.
    This is what i will get:
    [​IMG]
    Thank you for all the help :D

Last edited: 10 Jan 2008
  2. Oreon_237

Oreon_237 CHEA BRO!

What sort of price range are you looking at then you can have a better idea of what you want

3. x06jsp

x06jsp da ginger monkey!!!!

youve got a new pm jayzet.:thumb:

4. Jayzet

Errmm i was thinking bout £1000 but i could stretch over some, depending on what is necessary.
    Although i would like to keeps the costs low, cause otherwise ill go overboard on what to get.

5. Jayzet

Oh, just remebered, that i would like the parts 'ESA certified' if possible so they can all link up.

6. r4tch3t

r4tch3t hmmmm....

Definitely go for the 512MB 8800GT, Performs better at higher resolutions and with AA.
    Make sure you get a good PSU, the Corsair 620HX is a good buy, and will certainly cater for your hardware including overclocking.
    Get 4 gigs of RAM,its so cheap these days and it will help out (Also if you only got 2GB now and upgraded later chances are you wouldn't be able to have as higher overclock due to different chips in the RAM.)
    Get an AUS motherboard, I have always used them and they are great, haven't seen much of XFX in motherboards, so I would go ASUS as they have more experience.
    Hard drive, get the New Seagate 7200.11s, they are great performers.
    Case, get an Antec P182, nice case, and quiet.
    As for the Watercooling, it all depends on the money left over although the Q6600s can overclock quite well on the stock heatsink anyways so you could upgrade to water later.

7. Jayzet

Thanks that sounds like a good option :) ill check to see if they are all from the ESA checklist later on.

8. Fredrics

Fredrics Hmm...

You wont need watercooling to get that processor to 3.0ghz just get a good air cooler like this one - thermalright ultra 120

9. Jayzet

If i get that, a fan and some thermal paste will or should it be alright to overclock it to 3GHZ without problems?

Last edited: 1 Jan 2008
  10. lamboman

lamboman What's a Dremel?

The Ultra 120 Extreme is what you want, and that will let you way past 3ghz, towards 3.6. Ignore this ESA rubbish, as it is completely useless, just like the SLI certified memory, and Vista Ready displays. The one important thing to remember is to tell us how big your display is, otherwise we can't really recommend a card. For the most part, the 512MB GT is the one to go for. A 700W power supply is seriously overkill, get a Corsair HX520 instead, that will be plenty for an SLI setup. Again we can't recommend a motherboard without display size.
    For the other stuff that I haven't mentioned, rachet is pretty much there.

11. Jayzet

ok thanks, ermm my display is a 15" CRT 1280x1024, i dont really know if there is any need to upgrade as this is fine.

Last edited: 1 Jan 2008
  12. r4tch3t

r4tch3t hmmmm....

[​IMG]
    Includes a 20" widescreen LCD, you wont be sorry. Just over, a couple of things could be tweaked. Oh and you will also need an OS, may I suggest Vista 64-bit so you can use your full 4GB

13. Jayzet

That is simply amazing, just because you went to the effort of finding all the things that i need and showing them all together with a total :D
    I can't believe how helpful people are on this forum, Im glad I joined now :thumb:

14. r4tch3t

r4tch3t hmmmm....

Not problem, we are happy to help.

15. notatoad

notatoad pretty fing wonderful

take ratchets advice, upgrade that monitor. i can't imagine how painful a 15'' crt must be to work on.

16. Jayzet

It is, its the worst monitor ever and ive got it set to full brightness and contrast and its still dark, so ive had to make it bright in the nvidia settings so now its either dark grey or bright white which isnt very good at all for graphics editing :sigh:

17. wyx087

wyx087 Homeworld 3 is happening!!

r4tch3t's got everything you need :) very good PSU, good CPU, good graphics card and i want that hard disk drive!

although i don't know about 780i motherboards.... do you REALLY need SLi? Intel boards offer same performance (for single card setup) costs cheaper.

surely there are lower priced LCD monitors than that? my LG 22inch with better specification costs 3 pounds more (with another retailer). best thing to do is keep an eye on Today's Only column for cheap monitors, and buy one when a good brand (Samsung, Dell, LG) is on offer

18. Jayzet

what so try and search around to see if i can find a similar or better monitor for about the same or less price?
    I thought that wasnt very expensive for that monitor but i havent brought a new monitor in like 5 years :p

19. fathom17

fathom17 What's a Dremel?

20. Jayzet

Yeah i was looking at the monitor when i first thought about building a new computer, i think ill decide what to get between those two monitors when im actually buying them, but i dont know whether to go for the convinience of getting the other monitor from or ordering from ebuyer instead for the samsung pebble monitor :confused: