New PC Advice

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Jayzet, 27 Dec 2007.

1. Oreon_237

Oreon_237 CHEA BRO!

2ms refresh rate is overkill. but good screen size, also see if you can get two you will neve go bach to single screen. if you stick with 780i then go for the evga its got the best bios eva and can get beastly overclocks with air. if you dont want to get a 780i go for one of the asus Republic of Gamers boards or a gigabyte GA-P35-DS3R. for the thermalright ultra 120 get a 120mm nexus fan, it PWNs.

2. lamboman

lamboman What's a Dremel?

Refresh rates are basically something to ignore, there isn't really any difference. As for the motherboards, as Oreon said, but I don't agree with the ROG boards. They are too expensive. The P5K-E is fine. I would change the power supply from rachets config, the HX520 is plenty for SLI 8800GT cards, let alone 620W (if you buy a P35 board, no SLI). I would also recommend buying memory somewhere else cheaper, that is an expensive price. That would all bring the price down, and you would be able to buy the 22 inch with that spec for less than rachets spec.

3. Jayzet

Jayzet Yeah but no but...

ok, so go with a lower PSU than i was intending (i was doing it really to be on the safe side), find 4gb of RAM somewhere else thats cheaper (poss ebuyer), and i always thought XFX were the best for mboards but then read that ASUS were the best ones but now i should get an EVGA board instead :confused:
    Im getting a 780i board cause ive heard good things about them and really i want a system thats good to begin with which i can later upgrade easily, hense why i thought ratchets setup was good, and now im also confused which will be the best aire cooler for the processor.
    ahh there are soo many things to choose from! :sigh:

4. r4tch3t

r4tch3t hmmmm....

Mine was just a base impression of what would be good. Most motherboards will be fine as long as they are from a good brand (Gigabyte, EVGA, XFX ASUS, etc) and Scan only does Corsair. I would still go for the higher rated PSU in case you end up wanting more power. For the cooler it all depends, there are some good reviews out there and Bit recently did a roundup.

5. Jayzet

I just read the review comparison between the Thermalright and the Zerotherm. and I think i will go for the Thermalright Ultra 120 eXtreme, then i just need to find a good fan for it (maybe one that lights up :p) and that will be good :)

6. Shielder

Shielder Live long & prosper!

For good (i.e. quiet) fans, it looks like you can't go wrong with the Noctua NF-12 series of fans. They are a little on the boring side re colour tho.

Why are you going for the 780 mobo? PCI-E 2.0? Tri-SLi?

Personally, I thikn that they are nothing more than a 680i with PCI-E 2.0 and penryn support. Are you intending on going SLi in the future? If so, then go for it, otherwise, go for a P35 or an X38 based board. I'd definately shop around when it comes to memory. I've seen some OCZ Vista Upgrade Platinum stuff on Aria for about £60 for 4GB (PC6400 too). I may buy 2 kits for 8GB soon... :naughty:

Andy

7. Oreon_237

Oreon_237 CHEA BRO!

maybe if you can get ram from another place i would recommend the TEAM Xtreem Dark PC2-6400 C4. The sticks are really good OC'ers and are reasonably priced. and if you are intending to upgrade soon just stick with the 620 Watt.

8. Jayzet

If there quiet will that mean it will be good still? I don't really care of a fan is loud, I've put up with the sound of my computer whirring and breaking slowly for long enough :p
    And yes, the reason Im getting a 780i is for those 2 reasons, because I do intend to keep upgrading in the future, but at the moment I would just like the very basis of what i need.
    As for the RAM, Ive never heard about that company before and never really knew you could OC RAM (until now when i have just done long research reading into what you can OC), But it really depends on where you can get it, cause i dont want to buy all my different parts from different companys and get charged for postage everytime.:sigh:

9. Shielder

The Noctua fans are generally regarded on the web as being the best fans on offer. They are quiet and push lots of air. The only problem is that they cost about £12 each!

Andy

10. lamboman

lamboman What's a Dremel?

I agree, I just try to keep the budget as low as possible myself, while others tend to go with more power just in case. Either way works, but here I wouldn't recommend it, as SLI wouldn't really be needed anyway. The Noctua fans are great, so go for those.

Overall I wouldn't recommend going for an SLI setup or board with your display's size. P35 already supports PCI-E 2.0, so you won't need to worry about that, and there aren't really any advantages to it at the moment. If you want more power, just get a new card, which also means the smaller power supply would be a better choice.

11. Shielder

P35 is PCI-E 1.1 not 2.0 (unfortunately). That's why I'm going with an X38 based board for my new build.

Andy

12. Jayzet

Well, i think it's a good idea to get the board for the screen size of the monitor Im going to get, and for getting a better card.. with a lower power supply? :eyebrow:
    You usually increase the power supply not decrease it