1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Can't access SATA drive

Discussion in 'Tech Support' started by biff, 12 Feb 2008.

1. biff

biff What's a Dremel?

A friend was having big trouble with windows, had been fighting an error for some time. I told him to cut his losses and just reinstall. He had problems doing that, experience some kind of error part way through. Then he had a friend who "knows all about computers" come over to try and help him and from the sounds of it they just dug a deeper hole. I told him to bring the drive to me and I'd copy all the info on the drive (has two partitions) to a second drive and format it for him and send him on his way to do a fresh install.

Well I have the drive here and can't get XP to recognize the drive. It's a WD1200JD SATA drive on a DS3R. BTW the main HDD in this comp is a PATA if that matters. The POST shows there is a drive on channel 0 (slave) but no other info. I've reset the CMOS just incase I had some settings that were off and no dice. Also they had moved the jumpers on the drive and I can't find any info on the proper setting. The sticker on the drive only shows it in one spot so I moved it there to enable PM2 what ever that is.

Any ideas?

2. GoodBytes

GoodBytes How many wifi's does it have?

Pff easy, this is the solution:

Enjoy!

Biff, we cannot help you if you don't tell us more info, then just "It doesn't work!".
    What error message do you get?what is your full system specs, do you have another hard drive in? If so, is it IDE or SATA.
    Does the Hard drive makes an unusual sound compared to other hard drives? Did you play with jumpers non your motherboard (maybe you set it to disable SATA connector or something) Did you tell the BIOS to enable SATA harddrive?
    Also I am lost, you talk about Slave.. but SATA HDD's don't' have Master/Slave system.

3. Glider

Glider /dev/null

GoodBytes, did you actually READ the OP?

4. biff

biff What's a Dremel?

Thanks for the reply GoodBytes, But I did include most of the info you're asking for in the OP.

No error messages just not showing up.

I did say that the existing drive in the system was a PATA and was a DS3R mobo (Ga-P35-DS3R v1.0). The other specs since you asked for them are a C2D e6550 @ stock speed, 2GB OCZ plat. rev2, ATI HD2600, OCZ 600W PSU. Anything else you need?

No. No sounds at all but it is running.

There are no mobo jumpers (drive jumper as described in OP). Yes SATA is enabled in CMOS and reset as well for system defauls to double check no bad settings.

Just reporting what POST tells me. Channel 0 has a slave (I'm assuming thats the first SATA port). Channel 4 shows the PATA drive (as master) and the DVD-RW where the part #'s are listed for both. There is no part # listed for the channel 0 slave as described in OP.

5. ryanjleng

ryanjleng ...

Yes SATA do have Master and Slave. They just moved and hard wired the jumpers on the board.

If you have tried changing the SATA cable and checked BIOS... then sorry to say, you HDD firmware or chipset is probably the problem. Quite fatal.

remove all you HDD and plug your pal's HDD as the main drive... see if that works. I doubt it tho.

I "Guess" there was no fan pushing air on the multiple HDDs in your friend's case? excessive heat is deadly for HDD chipset.

In humid and dusty environment, dusts can bridge gaps on the circuit board. moisture can accumulate on that "dust-bridge" and increase conductivity. eventually it'll cause a short with a pop-poof or silently fry the firmware.

It is likely static may have burnt something in the chipset during fiddling. More so if you're in a low humidity environment.

If BIOS can't see the HDD in full, then OS can't detect it.

good luck.

6. kenco_uk

kenco_uk I unsuccessfully then tried again

Last I checked, SATA doesn't run on the legacy master/slave. You can only have one drive plugged in per sata port. Then you choose the boot order in the bios.

I'd say you've tried all you can and the only thing that would bring the drive back to life would be a replacement chipset for the hard drive.

Other than that, see if it's still under warranty by going here and entering the hdd serial number.

Btw, jumper settings for that drive are HERE.

Last edited: 13 Feb 2008
  7. GiGo

GiGo was once a nerd.....

Have you tried intialising the disk in Computer Mangement, might work, XP doesn't always come up and do it automatically.

System Tools >> Admin Tools >> Computer Management

Once loaded go to the hard drive section and re-scan for disks if no message pops up. I know I had to do this for a couple of my disks when I re-installed windows a couple of months back.

Hope it helps
    Regards
    GiGo

8. Shadow_101

Shadow_101 Minimodder

The SATA drive doesn’t need a jumper attached for standard operation, so try the drive without the jumper.