1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Latest NIN album digital, DRM-free

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 4 Mar 2008.

1. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

2. Luukas

Luukas What's a Dremel?

I'm not seeing the $300 deal on the website - sold out already?!

Not a big fan of NIN, but 36 lossless tracks for $5 is more than reasonable. Hmm...

3. BioSniper

BioSniper Minimodder

See, now this has got me interested, if the free tracks are any good I will seriously think about shelling out the $10 for the better pack with the discs.
    I do however believe the site is totally hammered right now as clicking on the free box then continue results in a VERY long load time and its still not actually loaded the next page.

4. Jamie

Jamie ex-Bit-Tech code junkie

My download got dropped half way through.

5. Guest-23315

Guest-23315 Guest

I paid the $5 for them.

That tells you something.

6. BioSniper

BioSniper Minimodder

Listening to the free tracks and so far I'm REALLY impressed. There have been no lyrics at all so far but its a very atmospheric and it's really managed to stir up something within me and my thoughts and feelings. Not quite sure what, but the first 2 tracks have blown my mind away, the next few not so much, but I'm sorely tempted to order the $10 one as it'd be nice to have the CD's as I'm a sucker for digipac stuff and I also love the artwork in a physical form.

::EDIT::
    BE AWARE:
    If you order the CD's Shipping is $13 or so to the UK meaning it totals out at over $23, I've still paid for it as I want to support this kind of business model as I think it's fantastic, but if you don't like the shipping cost go for the download at $5 :)

Last edited: 4 Mar 2008
  7. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

I only care about one thing: Good Audiosurf material or not?

8. AlexB

AlexB Web Nerd

Sweet, bought the $10 one (and noticed the shipping is more than the CD! ha ha).

NIN are great and deserve support. If this works they might set a trend. $23 is still only about £10 - which is a bargain for a NIN double-cd!

9. DXR_13KE

DXR_13KE BananaModder

holly mother of God, it is starting to happen, and i am happy :D i hope this is a huge success.

10. alastor

alastor Minimodder

Listening to the free tracks at uni now, will order the CDs when I get home :D

EDIT: The artwork is worth the $5 in itself, some stunning stuff.

Last edited: 4 Mar 2008
  11. DXR_13KE

DXR_13KE BananaModder

"We have SOLD OUT of the 2500 Limited Edition Packages."

holly crap!!!

12. Cupboard

Cupboard I'm not a modder.

Thanks bit-tech, downloading now (my first nin!) I have heard good things about them, so we'll see!

I hope this takes off, its much better than the silly 30 seconds you get on iTunes and I am all for a bit of initiative from bands (and less money going to the RIAA!)

13. adamc

adamc What's a Dremel?

The whole album is a 36-track instrumental, according to their website.

14. AlexB

AlexB Web Nerd

NIN's best stuff is the instrumentals imho. Some of their stuff is simply stunning.

15. VipersGratitude

VipersGratitude Multimodder

This is a long time coming. The only reason labels were required was because the average musician doesn't know much about the distribution network logistics. Digital distribution is much easier to manage - all you need is a decent web developer.

If anyone's wondering why labels are evil, you should read this - http://archive.salon.com/tech/feature/2000/06/14/love/
    Note - Courtney Love didn't write that speech, I can't divulge who did, but it wasn't her. Oh and I might as well take this opportunity to publicly state that Courtney Love is a C#@%!!!! (I speak from personal experience) Ahh...that felt good.

As for NIN, Trent lost my interest when he got off heroin. His whiney little voice was just about bearable when he had tortured lyics to sing...now, not so much. I'm going to give ghosts a try for two reasons - 1. He doesn't sing. 2. I'm a Dresden Dolls fanboy and Brian Viglione played drums on this album. You can read is blog about it here - http://blog.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=blog.view&friendID=2663038&blogID=363525307

16. VictorianBloke

VictorianBloke Man in a box

This does seem a more sensible way of doing it tbh, don't have my credit card with me now or I would already have ordered the digipak. Like Biosniper I'm a sucker for Digipacks, especially when NIN filled!

17. Sathy

Sathy What's a Dremel?

Really awesome way of releasing, props for that!

2xCD on order for myself, can't wait for the download to complete =]

Have to say the Deluxe pack has sold out rather quickly, but I guess with fans like NIN seem to have, it's not all that surprising. Slightly disappointed about the high shipping costs for a double disk, but still feel it's good value none the less as it's overseas shipping for me anyway.

Someone in a previous comment said something about 23$ still being a bargain or something similar. I think you've completely missed the point of this way of releasing if you only compare it to the stuff you can get from stores. It is and is not a bargain at the same time, as it's what you feel fits your needs and your wallet the best. You can't even compare it with much right now, since it doesn't relate to traditional record purchasing, and it isn't exactly like buying off iTunes or similar either as they don't offer anything extra.

Anyway, picking on that aside, great news and a really interesting "second try" at a digital release method. Hope it works out well and we start seeing more of these in the future!

18. scarrmrcc

scarrmrcc What's a Dremel?

spent my $16.99 (10 dollar cd+shipping)

this is the way it should be.

trent also releases the multitracks of his stuff, and sometimes free, look at year zero) so that people can make their own mixes. he truly is a musician's musician. and he is also all about the fans.

19. Drexial

Drexial Minimodder

I and two of my friends have the $300 bundle o the way. I figure if it hits me how dumb of an idea it was to get it by the time ti gets here, I can always sell it.

20. E.E.L. Ambiense

E.E.L. Ambiense Acrylic Heretic

I pulled it yesterday. If you're into the more experimental side of Nails, this is the stuff to pull. Almost reminds me of the Quake work, mixed with, in my opinion, his best stuff; The Fragile era material. Worth a listen, and you can't beat the price! Also, they look to be 320 files.

Tags: Add Tags