1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows windows licence

Discussion in 'Software' started by cyrilthefish, 17 Apr 2008.

1. cyrilthefish

cyrilthefish What's a Dremel?

quick question:

current PC = XP 64bit
    current laptop = 32bit vista

i have plenty of available xp licences... current plan (to go with the 32GB laptop SSD currently on order) is to swap the laptop to the XP licence + a linux install and put the vista ultimate license on the main PC

I've read the vista serial will work for both 32bit and 64bit versions... is this correct? (if i download the correct DVD image)

2. radodrill

radodrill Resident EI

The Vista that came with the laptop is most likely an OEM license, which is bound to that hardware, and as such you would not legally be allowed to install it on a different machine. If it is a retail license then there are no legal issues with transferring the license to another PC

3. mrlanrat

mrlanrat What's a Dremel?

It would work.

But it would not be legal.

4. GoodBytes

GoodBytes How many wifi's does it have?

Yes that is correct. But try to get the official disk instead, as you could fall onto a copy that has pre-inserted malware, or have Windows system files damaged.

However Vista OEM is (following the EULA) "locked" to the computer it was originally installed on. So Activation will fail and a call to Microsoft would be needed, and a explanation such as the laptop was damaged parts can't be ordered anymore and require a complete change of system configuration or something along the line.

5. cyrilthefish

Well i tried it... Worked beautifully.

currently sitting in 64bit vista SP1 with the laptop's vista serial :blush:
    Activated 1st time with no problems

The Bios update i put on a few weeks ago seems to have fixed my 'motherboard hard-lockups in vista' problem i was having the last time i tried :p

6. cyrilthefish

does seem to use the ram better than XP64 does so far... if the stability holds up, i think i may switch :)

[​IMG]

Not so convinced on the constant heavy CPU usage though... i'm hoping it settles down after a while like my laptop did (i'm assuming this is the caching system starting off)

7. GoodBytes

Vista memory management is greatly improved over XP and XP 64-bit.

It should settle down.. just leave your comp open for day.. as it is index your HDD and defrag it. And it's pretty fragmented after you just install everything.

Vista uses 1.7GB so I assume you have 4GB of RAM. I suggest to disable pagefile.
    Also I suggest to enable advance performance for your HDD (if Vista is not on a laptop).

8. cyrilthefish

It's 8GB :p Suggestion about pagefile noted

*noob mode* how do i do that? haven't seen anything about it so far...

which is my main vista gripe so far: stop hiding systems options away from people in the most illogical + hard to reach places ever! :duh:

minor gripe over, now that vista finally doesn't hard-lockup anymore, it's quite nice...
    now i've left it running a while, pretty much anything apart from games loads instantly as it's already in RAM :)

9. Lemmingzappa

Lemmingzappa What's a Dremel?

i'd also like to know :)

10. GoodBytes

Well more you use Vista, more you will discover new things, like you can go back in time on any file and folders (right click on item, select Properties, it's inside). Even I keep discovering things every day.

Anyway, back to subject "enable advance performance for your HDD".
    Open the "Device Manager" Panel > expend "Disk Drive" > right-click on your drive and select "Properties".
    Inside the Properties Panel, go to the "Policies" tab, and check the last check box. A reboot is required to apply the effects I believe.
    Now don't expect a world of difference here, just a little.

Tags: