1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Scratch Build – In Progress Teybers Rotary Single Stage

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by Teyber, 24 Dec 2007.

1. Teyber

Teyber ******

hey!

Most mixes we use are azeotropic, or at least behave azeotropic (like r410a... has a boiling point "slide" but is close enough to act as 1). I only charge propane to a static of about 20psi. This is because HC's carry oil great, and i will be idling at temperatures below the oil's freezing point. Butane and iso-butane (r600) is actually a pretty decent refrigerant.

i took too many pictures this update, sorry. Got a lot done today though. (still waiting on electrical, and will be for a while...)

Mounting
    [​IMG]
    I Spent a lot of time designing a mounting that doesn't need a snap ring and can easily be removed. I think i nailed it.(snap ring really needs cnc machines to work 100% properly)
    [​IMG]
    Painted it, but keep in mind this was sitting around while the garage was being renovated. Got scratched up, plus didn't really care if the paint was perfect. just didn't really want dirty white.
    [​IMG]
    O btw, the center hole is not perfectly round because i cut it with a dremel and sanded down... I don't have that sized hole saw. (talking on the part with holes drilled for mounting)
    [​IMG]

Shroud
    [​IMG]
    Built that "plenium" chamber mod.[(thanks to god+drewmeister)(God=blank god)]
    [​IMG]
    I just created a space between the condenser and the shroud, i cut off the front part. I used C channel. as shown here:
    [​IMG]

Garage
    [​IMG]
    Got a chaining system so i can easily add and remove tanks, yet is very safe and will not come off.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    And... fed up the torch. STILL DON'T HAVE TORCH TIP!!! But this provides easy access to the torch.
    [​IMG]
    Got my behemoth vice... Believe it or not i didn't have a permanent bench vice all these months :p (only have had a shop for about a year... first tool besides a dremel was in june :p: ). Will be brazing a lot in this vice.
    [​IMG]

r290 charging adapter :D
    [​IMG]
    Ahh more ROOM!
    [​IMG]

relocated tools from where the new bench is.

Enjoy!

Last edited: 30 Mar 2008
  2. HeXeN

HeXeN Straight from Hell

nicce pool table :p I always wantd to know how ppeople make their own coolers like that ... and baamm this project :) Good job so far (but i hate using dictionary to know what you are writing sometimes :p)
    Greetzz

3. Teyber

Teyber ******

Guys i decided against the cnc for now. I need to get more things for my mill first. So today i ordered:
    1)r8 boring bar+boring head+boring shaft for 100$. Very good imo. Made fore a bridgport
    2) a clamping kit for 50$
    3) over 200$ in end mills (very nice carbide, several carbide with tin coating). Was very frustrated in using 2$ endmills.

Also ordered a fluke t5-1000

Regards

edit:

Held 305psig for almost 40 hours. pretty sure its leak free
    Vacuuming, vacuumed to 400microns then broke vacuum with dry nitrogen. Final vacuuming now to as low as it goes.

regards

edit: lol added up to around 525$ for everything including some copper :O

Last edited: 17 Apr 2008
  4. Burnout21

Burnout21 Mmmm biscuits

i do love a good bridgeport, got a few down the uni, oh and we got a nice new water jet cutter, il see if i can get some pic's later. loving it!

5. mvagusta

mvagusta Did a skid that went for two weeks.

I like the plenum chamber! :D That'll work similar to a 80-120mm adaptor. I would have liked to have seen a 4x 120mm fan setup... Those right angles sticking out under the two fans still rub me up the wrong way :grr:
    That fan mounting plate also looks to be overlapping the entire fan's frame, which not only restricts flow, but would really hamper the effect of the plenum chamber aswell. You'd want the air to expand from the fan's frame/shroud, not to hit/deflect from a short surrounding wall/mouting plate.

This may not have a significant effect on the performance of the phase change system, but hey, i know f@#$ all about phase change, so this is all i've got to contribute :D

It's still awesome to see this thing getting built btw, and watching your tool collection grow. I think i'm gonna blow up some of those pictures, and stick em up in the garage like wallpaper, in an attempt to create an illusion!

I'm gonna have to google "bridgeport" I thought bridgeporting was only a type of port job on rotary engines, like from mazdas :confused:

6. Teyber

Teyber ******

burnout: man i wish i had a bridgeport... when i was shopping for a mill, i saw a very nice bridgeport-esk (not bridgeport but very similar) for around $1,500. I almost got it but it was 3 phase 240v, and i was told i would need to spend abouto 600$ on electrical alone and obviously 3 phase power is expensive :( and btw i hate you. Waterjets are for faegs. lol i really want one :(

mvgusta: thanks! not understading when you say the fan mounting plate also looks to be overlapping the entire fan's frame. Are you saying the cuts are too small? looking back i guess they are on the small side. They are TWO 110cfm fans (originally was going to use 1) and was going to use 80cfm...

A bridgeport is a very expensive, beautiful milling machine. its pretty much the industry standard in machine shops, not too sure about cnc bridgeports but the manual ones are great (dont know anything about their cnc version)

thanks about the shop :D just wait till next x-mas:wallbash::wallbash::hehe:

7. mvagusta

You've got heaps of airflow, doing this will help not only to de-restrict the fans a little, but also to help that airflow spread out, and contact as much surface area of that rad/condesor as possible:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    You can see how the air doesn't expand as fast when it gets deflected by the overlapping shroud, and this doesn't let the plenum chamber work as well as it could. I'm only guessing with my airflow arrows but you get the idea. Just don't go and buy a wind tunnel machine to test out the performance of the plenum chamber :D

8. NZ_mod_man

NZ_mod_man What's a Dremel?

WOOOT! I finally found this thread!! Been looking for this for sooooo long! I wanted to reread through it.

I'm sooo subscribed!!!:thumb:

9. Burnout21

Burnout21 Mmmm biscuits

you'll hate me even more, we got 6 CNC bridgeports, the beds are small only really for small work (500x500mm) two manual vertical mills with power feed, again bridgeports.

we did have a big CNC bridgeport with a 2m^2 bed but it was sold and the water jet takes the space up with a 3m^2 bed! HAHA!

not to forget the industrial laser cutter....

10. Xs1t0ry

Xs1t0ry What's a Dremel?

Insane stuff so far; keep up the good work!

11. Teyber

Teyber ******

NZ mod maN: thanks!

mvgusta: thanks for the pic! i fired the fans up yesterday and they pull lots of air through the condenser. I will do that on my next build, but it should be fine for this one.

penguin: you are very fortunate to have access to all of those tools! do they let you use them for personal projects? do you guys have a lathe?

xsitory; thanks!

guys i fired the unit up yesterday. I played hooky through history, came home and finished all the wiring. Its sloppy but it works : P

having a problem with unit though. Low side runs into huuuge vacuum, and no cooling happens. its either extremely undercharged or my cap tube is blocked. Ill be trying things tomorrow and hope its either oil blocking the cap tube or im just undercharged. if its not i have so much work to do :(

12. Teyber

Teyber ******

alright havn't kept you all updated but my evap was completely clogged. fixed the clogged area but not can't get evap leak free :(

So i am going to try to make a new one, might use this one.

alright found an hour and a half to work. i call this "doodling" but not with pencil/paper. it came out amazingly well considering i had no plan except for thicknesses and base :O i literally found this so i am very pleased.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    also snagged this 9k matsush1ta compressor for cheap off ebay :D
    [​IMG]

Golf ends soon, i will be working every dayafter that.. sigh, can't wait. a hair under 2 weeks i believe.

regards

edit: sorry for not cleaned evap... there is still oil and shavings in there.

13. Burnout21

Burnout21 Mmmm biscuits

you have got a vertical mill, so please god please mill that flat to clean it up. i know copper is a sod at the best of times as it tears and rips if not carefully milled, but theres no excuse! lol!

again i suggest an interference fitting for that evap head, chill it down and heat the cover up and fit them together. if you cant remember i think i covered interference fits a few posts ago...

looking good there matey! :thumb:

14. Teyber

Teyber ******

thanks! o god no im not done with this :p haha. This was chipped somewhere, i found it in a stack of random metal bits. ill be milling the bas and top flat, as well as creating a top for it. no interference fit needed here, as its not a stepper.

Purchased a new car today, ill post pics up in a bit

15. Cheapskate

Cheapskate Insane? or just stupid?

D*mnnit, boy! Get back to computers soon! Your work has improved enough that you should be able to make something crazy.

...sorry, but all this talk of phase change makes my brain hurt.:D

16. mvagusta

I know f'all about evaps, but there's a bit there that is kinda thin compared to the rest of it, the bit just above the + shaped area.
    So what car is it? I just had an idea, how about a good turbo car, with a phase change cooled intercooler! :eeek: That would be like turbo + nos :jawdrop: :rock:

17. Cheapskate

Cheapskate Insane? or just stupid?

New car? I would have sold you my van. It's looking a little haggard after I ran that kid on the Huffy down.:D

18. Teyber

Teyber ******

cheapskate: Im very tempted to start a new case, i think i will next year. used van? the bike you "hit" was my very expensive gt mountain bike. The new car is a brand new, 16 miles, 2008 volkswagon rabbit. Its the newest edition of the golf. Ill post pics when i get it saturday at 2 :D

Mvgusta: Yeah its pretty thin. Only the outside edges really matter, as the pressure should be about equal on both sides of the thin line.

Regards

19. Teyber

Teyber ******

20. MercuryRising

MercuryRising What's a Dremel?

Those pictures don't work Teyber.