1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Steam was rejected by Microsoft, Yahoo

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 30 Apr 2008.

1. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

2. sotu1

sotu1 Ex-Modder

i'm glad they got rejected early on. I wouldn't want the top games distributor to be run by a mammoth giant like micro$oft.

3. cereal_killer

cereal_killer What's a Dremel?

At least they didn't go and get accepted by ea then who knows how steam would of been

4. Denis_iii

Denis_iii What's a Dremel?

awesome, now lets hope valve releases steam sale stats so THEY stop complaining bout piracy and put there games on steam....fingers crossed EA goes bust so Valve can buy em and put there catalog on steam :) come on over C&C

5. p3n

p3n What's a Dremel?

MMO's killed the radio star or something

6. Naberius

Naberius What's a Dremel?

Steam is a great platform, could you just imagine the crap it would have been if MS would have given it their touch.

7. Redbeaver

Redbeaver The Other Red Meat

agree to all the above ^

LOL

8. chicorasia

chicorasia What's a Dremel?

We should thank MS and yahoo's shortsightedness on this.

The MS Games for Windows Live or whatever it is called is sooo awkward, I can't be bothered to try and play gears of war or world in conflict online; I'd rather just play TF2.

9. Tomm

Tomm I also ride trials :¬)

Yeah, I know people moan about Steam, but really I think it's awesome. There's so much potential for it to totally cripple your system and make games inaccessible, but that doesn't happen. It just works...

10. Brett89

Brett89 Minimodder

Here it comes... get ready.... LOL @ M$ hahahahaha! good for Steam though, I'm glad they were turned down, because it is the platform which I buy games over, so easy, and no more worrying about discs, win!

11. speedfreek

speedfreek What's a Dremel?

Its great that they don't have their fingers in there messing up things. Steam works great for me and the fact that I don't have to worry about patches or CDs/CD keys makes it convenient.

12. Otto's

Otto's What's a Dremel?

agree to you all..
    Steam is a great. Those guys from Value know what gamers like.

They build gaming industry with gamers, not against them. making me just want to buy those addicting online games from them.

13. Jordan Wise

Jordan Wise Baby called to see the boss...

steam is brilliant, another shining example of how valve always does things better way than everyone else

14. DXR_13KE

DXR_13KE BananaModder

steam is bloody great.... and i thank MS and yahoo for staying clear from them.

15. pendragon

pendragon I pickle they

I have mixed feelings about Steam, personally... Generally I'd much rather buy a physical disc that doesnt require an internet connection to install ... however, I can see its appeal, and I've used it, definitely.

I agree - I'm sure Microsoft and Yahoo are giving a collective "D'oh!" about not getting in on the ground floor with this.

16. Breach

Breach Modding in Exile

Steam was a pile early on, no doubt. But it evolved into one of if not the best distribution engines around. I really love automatic updates the most, lots of little updates is way better than 500mb worth of patch at a time every few months, fixing bugs almost instantly.

MS and Yahoo are more interested in scoffing good ideas and trying to copy them poorly *coughzunecough* anyway.

17. notatoad

notatoad pretty fing wonderful

steam might be a good distribution system and DRM implementation, but it sure is an annoying UI. it can't check for updates until i actually want to play the game, and then it makes me wait to play until the updates are installed? WTF?

18. Amon

Amon inch-perfect

If it weren't for Live, Megasoft would have ran off with Steam.

19. TheoGeo

TheoGeo What are these goddamn animals?!

Meh, its probably a good thing, but I personally can't stand steam. It sits in the background even if you're not interested in playing a game and if you want to play a game that doesn't require an internet connection, you have to connect. The whole thing is retarded and the reason i didn't bother with the orange box.

What was wrong with buying a cd, installing and that being the end of it? Its not because of piracy because steam games are pirated anyway and its not because of price because they're no cheaper direct from steam than they are from amazon... so what is it?

20. cyrilthefish

cyrilthefish What's a Dremel?

Yes it does! I haven't played TF2 in months, but i noticed it updating itself last night :)

Tags: Add Tags