Windows Getting games to work with Vista

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by samkiller42, 24 Jan 2007.

1. Jordan Wise

Jordan Wise Baby called to see the boss...

that 'run as administrator' option is faded out for me. I'm the only user on this computer, and i'm more than certain i'm the administrator as it tells me that i am, anyone had the same problems as me? or any ideas?

2. GoodBytes

GoodBytes How many wifi's does it have?

Vista like Linux, you can't be the real Administrator*.
    See the main problem why people have problems with XP is because everyone ran under Admin, due to the simple fact that very little program ran properly under limited account. However, this was rectified with a complete folder re-organization and registry organization so that software and games can run on the most limited account. Now if your game or software require Admin to run, well don't buy it and/or complain, to push these companies to stop slacking around, and move their but in making a descent software, and this comes from me, a future software engineer (still at university), however have many years in programing, and about to sell my own software. Vista account management is so well separated that each account even its own file association system. Yes if you change the file association on your account (not ads admin) it won't change for the other accounts. Every program (Vista compatible) has it's own settings file so each user can configure the program as they want, and so on.

When you select "run as admin", that will actually run the program under real admin. However in the User Account control, "Administrator" is actually "Power User".

Now for that * up there:
    Under Vista Ultimate, Business/Enterprise edition of Vista you can unable the real Administrator account fairly easy. just run "gpedit.msc", it packed with Windows options and one of one of them is enabling the Administrator account. HOWEVER, the idea of that is in case your computer screws up, you have an account that you can access to diagnose and fix your problem, NOT to be used. In fact for security purposes it should be disabled at all times.

So, instead of complaining on Vista, you should complain on these lazy ass companies that can't make the basis of a software correct. They give a bad name to PC, and is the number 1 reason for making computer the least enjoyable to use. Heck even my own software is Win2k ready, and can run on the most limited account (just give it Temp folder read/write permission), and it's not a light software.

3. thebigmix

thebigmix What's a Dremel?

cheers Sam i got it working copied it from our other pc and it worked fine thanks heaps.

4. pinkvon69

pinkvon69 What's a Dremel?

Vista 64 bit SimTower??

Does anybody know how to run SimTower on Vista 64 bit?

5. GoodBytes

Use Dox Box.

6. pinkvon69

pinkvon69 What's a Dremel?

dosbox not working then

I spent a good two hours last night trying to get SimTower to work on Dosbox...but to no avail.
    Is there another way?

7. GoodBytes

hmmmm... well I know at 100% that is works under Vista 64-bit, because the first thing I did with Vista 64-bit to try to run old game to see which one works and those who don't.

Let me look into it. I'll get back to you tomorrow... as I need to get my copy of SimTower and see.

Hang on, did you running it under compatibility mode set to "Windows 95", "Administrator" "256 colors' and well have every checkbox checked in the compatibility mode. I remember one of the Sim** games needed that.

8. Soulsynger

Soulsynger What's a Dremel?

I hate to dig out an old threat, but this one is EXACTLY what I've been looking for.

I need to make Infogrames' "Silver" (1999, I think) run under Vista32. Does anyone have any suggestions on that aside from the obvious (run as admin and compatibility mode)?
    Any and all input appreciated.

9. GoodBytes

Set the folder permission of the game to full access owner to your account, and change your permission to full access.

10. Blademrk

Blademrk Why so serious?

Ah, I want to play that now. I used to love that game.

11. Soulsynger

Doesn't work. Tried a variety of compatibility-option combinations, no change. It doesn't start or even give an error message. It acts like I never clicked on the .exe.

If anyone has any other ideas, please share.

Oh, btw:
    Tron 2.0 works just fine under Vista :p

12. GoodBytes

Did you make sure that the game was running on the back. I know some software they do that, when they screw up, so when you execute the program afterward, nothing happen because there is already an instant of it running.

13. Soulsynger

Yeah, I made sure. :)

Got it as far as playing the sound for the first logo of the intro with a black screen. After that it remains black and nothing happens.
    That seems to be where most people are stuck. Various Silver.exe files that where said to work didn't expand my "gaming experience" any further.

Does anyone know where I can find the official Silver patches? Some old urls I found where not working anymore.

Tags: