1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

64-Bit System Question?

Discussion in 'Software' started by vegettoxp, 10 May 2008.

1. vegettoxp

vegettoxp What's a Dremel?

Hello there guys, I just wanted to get a better understanding for 64-Bit Computing. My new Rig will be 64-Bit (Intel Core 2 Extreme QX9770) Ready and since I have never used 64bit system, I just wanted to learn more about it. So if you guys can answer few of my question, it would really make my life a lot easier.

1) I know the biggest problem these days is 64-Bit Driver Support? Is this still Ture or Have things changed?

2) When it comes to software, I know the software have to be written in order to take advantage of 64-Bit System and Multi-Core, I am gona do my best to

get all my software 64-Bit Ready, but Will I still be able to run 32-Bit Based Software on 64-Bit system? I am pretty sure that not all software out there are gona be 64-Bit ready. Your Thoughts?

And if you guys can give me any good links that talk about 64-Bit Computing, Please share them with me. I wanna learn as much as possible before I go from 32-Bit System To 64-Bit System.

Thank You for All you Help!:rock::clap:

P.S. Fusion

2. notatoad

notatoad pretty fing wonderful

running 32-bit apps on vista-64 is pretty seamless. the only problem i had was that 32-bit infraRecorder (cd burner) doesn't work. other than that, the only difference i notice is that all my ram is recognized. all my hardware had 64-bit drivers available, but i don't have anything too obscure.

seen this? http://www.bit-tech.net/bits/2007/10/16/64-bit_more_than_just_the_ram/1

3. GoodBytes

GoodBytes How many wifi's does it have?

If you have new hardware, it is not an issue. Just make sure that your printer, scanner etc... have 64-bit drivers, however new computer peripherals should not have any problems.

Everything 64-bit. http://www.start64.com/index.php
    However, they are very few applications that supports multi-core CPU, at the moment. It is much harder to develop and in certain circumstance, like a simple IM program, it is not worth doing it in multi-core supported as you won't see any speed increase. It's just a simple application. However, you will be pleased to know that Vista itself and most of it's applications are not only made to support 64-bit CPU (Vista 64-bit only), but also multi-core CPUs. Their is a little thing thus, by default Vista 64-bit makes the 32-bit version of it's application (like Windows Media Player 11) run instead of the 64-bit version. The reason is that at the moment of release their was very little 64-bit codecs. Now it is resolved, you can find proper, fully functional, 64-bit codecs. Codec packs usually comes with a tool to change all the file association and shortcuts of Media Player and Media Center to 64-bit for you. However, this is another story after you get your computer, and IF you install Vista, or even IF you will be using WMP11 and/or Media Center.

All 32-bit applications will run under your 64-bit processor perfectly. However, not to scare you, but if you use a 64-bit OS, it will "unlock" the full potential of your CPU and really run as 64-bit (else it will run as 32-bit, and you just wasted money for something that you won't use). However, their is a down side to this: 16-bit applications will not longer work. So some very badly programed software (which you have nothing to do using them) will not work, OR your old applications (Win98, Win95, DOS) may not work. However, you can find for free a DOS emulator, that will convert 16-bit application into 32-bit applications and execute them. In any case, I don't think it will effect you in anyway whats so ever. This ""issue"" usually comes from company that forces their employees to use a certain program that they refuse to upgrade.

Now remember, to actually run your CPU as 64-bit, and take all its advantages, you will need a 64-bit OS. In Windows world, you currently have 2 choices: Windows XP Professional 64-bit edition (which I severely recommend to stay AWAY from, only a very few managed to get everything working smoothly), or Vista 64-bit Home Premium, Business or Ultimate edition.

Hope this was informative.

4. knuck

knuck Hate your face

good post. Makes me think even more about what you said in my thread yesterday (or was it two days ago?) about returning my 32bit copy to get a 64bit one...

I think i will try to email microsoft to know if the key will work on a 64 bit disc

5. GoodBytes

It will :)
    It has been tried by a friend and I was there to see it all in action. And he had Vista Home Premium 32-bit OEM, now upgraded to 64-bit.

6. vegettoxp

vegettoxp What's a Dremel?

Thx for the input guys. I am learning alot. Regarding my hardware drivers, I don't think I am gona run into whole alot problems, because all my hardware in my new rig is brand new. And the PC brands that I will be working with include the following: Asus, nVidia, EVGA, Logitech, HP, And whoever I am forgetting. I was a little worked about the software side. But after reading your comments, now I know that whatever 32bit app I have will work on 64bit system. And I will be running Windows Based Rig Of Course: Vista 64Bit Ultimate.

I just want to be ready before my rig goes on-line. I don't wanna make mistakes when the rig is up and running. And learning as much as I can about 64Bit will really help me down the road. Thx Guys!

P.S. Fusion

7. cyrilthefish

cyrilthefish What's a Dremel?

What makes you say that? i've tried it on several PC's and it's 100% rock stable, no difference to 32bit at all

8. GoodBytes

WinXP 64-bit was not as tested by users as the 32-bit edition, specially that it was not in store shelves, it did not help. Moreover, Microsoft never focused on it. In result the OS is much more buggy than WinXP 32-bit. Fact was showed to me when I use my WinXP 64-bit in early 2006, when I got my 64-bit CPU (see signature).
    Not only the drivers were unstable, many games and software was not running properly, and even crashing, which lead me in lost of hours of work, specially that for some reason the file I was working on got damaged. (Programs: Flash, Visual Slick Edit, Winamp, Logitech Keyboard.Mouse program Set Point (but that was due that there was not a 64-bit edition, Vista made Logitech make them), printer drivers, and more)
    I did had to many BSOD's (4 within a month), my sound card didn't even work, I was using my mobo sound card. It was too many down sides, and it gave me nothing as advantages. Specially that all Windows applications are still in 32-bit. So only problems. Even thus I did not had all these problems (as mainly they were software related problems, and in fact after I get Vista 64-bit I read some documentation on crazy registry hacks that, (it would seam), to make everything work fine. It's not acceptable, I am not paid by Microsoft or anyone to have to do these hacking to get everything up and running, when I payed for a software it must be complete and polished. Perhaps you don't see all this as you got used to live with them. Like me, when I switch to Vista, I was like "Why they moved this, why this and that, are they stupid?! etc.." Now, when I fix my mother computer (WinXP) U have a big headache and see all the issues of XP go in front of you, and I go... "WOW, WinXP IS very crappy".I got used to Vista, and more I used it, the more I discovered some cool stuff, and now when I want to start programing or whatever I can start really fast. and navigate my computer are a rapid rate. Ok now I got off track... lets get back on it.

As for Vista 64-bit, the OS is very well tested, Microsoft does focus very hard on it, and comparing Vista 32-bit and 64-bit before SP1 on both, you can see that Vista 64-bit was a bit more finished than the 32-bit edition. 90-95% of problem I read for Vista 32-bit, including the iPod program and USB slow file transfer, did not exists for my computer same for friends that had Vista 64. With SP1, both edition are just as good.

9. m0ng0lh0rde

m0ng0lh0rde What's a Dremel?

One little note that no one else seems to have mentioned, nor did you indicate anything about...

In order to take advantage of, and worry about, 64-bit, you must be running a 64-bit OS. Either Windows XP Pro 64-bit (not available at retail), Vista 64-bit (Home basic / Premium, Business, Ultimate), or Server 2008 x64 :D:D (see here)

If you are planning to load Windows XP (Home or Pro) 32-bit (the version you can buy in the stores), then you'll simply be running a 32-bit OS on a 64-bit system, which will work fine, with the following exception:
    1. If you put more than ~3GB of RAM, the system will (likely) not recognize all of the RAM

Currently, I'm running Server 2008 x64, after following (most) of the steps in the page I linked above. Quite happy with it.

10. Otis1337

Otis1337 aka - Ripp3r

been using 64-bit vista U for almost a year.... not ONE crach or erorr, all software works fine and all my drivers i need come in 64-bit.
    its silly to buy a 32-bit Vista now that 64-bit works well

11. Amon

Amon inch-perfect

That was only true for me from launch until chiefly the latter half 2005. That was the year when driver support exploded and made Professional 64-Edition run fine thereon for 4 years--until my PC decided suicide itself due to mechanical failure.

System registry modifications can't be counted as a failure when the target (and actual) user audience were the technically inclined. I admit that the operating system was more of an experimentation of 64-bit home-computing and I'm not offering a defense for its loose ends, but your evaluation of the product was made under the fictional principle of it being released as a flagship product. The reality is that 64-bit computing is still experimental, no matter what product you use. As much as we want to believe it matching the penetration of regular 32-bit environments (or it being marketed under that thesis), there still isn't, at this moment, sufficient demand for this sort of computing sophistication.

So if this gentleman is interested in purchasing a 64-bit OS (even under the shaky impression that he may conjure some utility out of the added complexity), the best advice we can provide to him is that he be embrace the laborious upkeep 64-bit computing entails. Personally, I recommend that x64 be installed as the secondary operating system and only be used mildly until you've familiarized yourself with its boundaries of accessibility.

Last edited: 12 May 2008
  12. GoodBytes

Perhaps, you are right Amon.

13. kenco_uk

kenco_uk I unsuccessfully then tried again

Yup, I have both my originally 32bit Vista OEM PC's now running the equivalent 64-bit version. There were only two natively unsupported devices on my Dell Vostro 1500 - the webcam and the scrolly bits on the trackpad. Soon cleared those up though and they work fine. Desktop PC needed X-fi drivers.

No problems so far, both took SP1 fine too.

14. Atomic

Atomic Gerwaff

The only issue I had with my Vista 64bit install was drivers for my horrible Belkin Wireless card, after looking through google I found some drivers from Gigabyte that worked. Since then it's been brilliant.

Photoshop loves 4GB of memory!

15. GoodBytes

If you just listen to music on stereo 2.1 speaker system, and nothing else (no Skype), and you don't have SLI, crossfire, and no fancy new motherboard chipset or an nForce 4 and above. Then Creative drivers will work just fine without issue. Anything else, buy a new sound card, for some reason the sound card itself (not drivers) loves to freeze itself.
    In fact my brother friend (which works at Microsoft) says that Microsoft is re-evaluating Creative X-fi cards and might lose its "Certified for Vista", and well as the XP. I guess an employee at the team that manages those stickers has an X-fi, or received a large number of complaints. Mine will be changed, I just have others things to buy before.

Hmm... interesting I recall visiting Creative website some time ago, and they showed teh XP and Vista certified logo... since they updated their web page design (as it seams) they removed it... could they be that they know that they will lose it, or maybe they have on some other X-Fi products and not teh X-Fi sound card, which will make people realize of this or already they lost it and hide the logo on very product they made? Hmm I guess you have to look at the box.

----

I had a driver issue for my laser HP printer. It was purchased after Vista is out, and HP announced that 'drivers are coming soon for WinXP 64-bit and Vista' (yea right), still today no drivers. I called them for some maybe beta drivers, but all they do is suggest me to buy another printer different model that is even newer that is IDENTICAL (word for word) then my current printer, just in ugly beige instead of the HP blue with gray which I have. I thought of getting the drivers for that newer model as the printer are identical, but the driver setup has everything so that it only extract and de-encrypt (yea I check, it really does that), to install the drivers with the proper printer. Anyway, I found a different model printer driver which work in Vista driver list, and it work just fine. Anyway, that would be my last HP product.

Last edited: 16 May 2008
  16. Shielder

Shielder Live long & prosper!

Hmmm, 64-bit computing has been around for more than a decade. Home computers with 64-bit capability have been around for 5 years, hardly a short space of time in computing terms.

64-bit computing, from Microsoft didn't really set the world on fire. Their implimentation was buggy, very late and has only slowly matured into a decent product. What really gets me is the fact that Vista was released in 32- and 64-bit versions (when really, to avoid lots of problems they should have released only the 64-bit version) and the next verison of Windows is also going to be released in 32- and 64-bit versions. How many people reckon that their 32-bit P4 will be able to give them a good 'user experience' with the next version of Windows? I mean, come on, it is 2008, not 1994!

(Here comes the linux plug ;)) Linux had 64-bit support (AMD64) before the actual chips were available and has been working well ever since. I've been using 64-bit Linux since early 2005 with no problems. I've only just got 64-bit Windows, and even then, I use my Fedora install (again, 64-bit) far more than either of my Windows installs.

Why do you think 64-bit OSs add complexity? It gives you more flexibility and lets you use the full capabilities of the system, but complex? It's no more complex than a 32-bit system IMO.

Goodbytes, was the printer marketed as being Vista capable? If so, then HP are legally obliged (certainly in the UK they would be) to provide support to get the printer working on Vista. As a matter of interest, is it a USB or network printer? If it is a network printer, there may be a way to use the PCL6 capability of the printer to get some functionality.

Andy

Last edited: 16 May 2008
  17. GoodBytes

Shielder has a good point, however the reason why Linux has 64-bit compatibility (first?), is mainly because 64-bit CPU for servers already existed, so the move was easy and quick for desktop. Huh what move?! It's Linux, is even runs on your microwave with the Live disk (just add an optical drive). :)

Here is an interesting article I found:
    http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/...c5-a926-4703-a788-fab165e23dc7&DisplayLang=en
    it's about 5 Misunderstood Features in Windows Vista. Its an easy and fast read, and their is a part were it talks about 64-bit Windows

18. tommythetim

tommythetim c'mon the hoops

Was running 32 vista ultimate with 2gig from release, and initially thought it was ok, but was a bit slow because of more overheads to the os, but found it better to work with than xp. So i got 2 more GB installed and used 64 ultimate, and the difference another 2 GB makes to vista is astounding.
    There are no 64 driver issues at all for me (only older hardware software has issues)everything works and is very stable

And NO i would not go back to 32bit anything whether XP or Vista

19. naokaji

naokaji whatever

Aslong as you dont have a creative audigy 4 your good to go with 64 bit vista (they might have fixes their dirvers by now, dunno, trashed my audigy 4).

I do recommend dual booting with xp 32 bit though so you have a "fail safe mode" avalaible, it also comes in handy if you want to play some old games for sentimental reasons from time to time or for benching.

20. GoodBytes

naokaji, not you don't. Look at my signature, I have the X-Fi.
    However, like I said the problems also occurs under XP. So if you have no issue with XP you should not have with Vista.