1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Case Mod - In Progress Project: "L3 - Liquid Lan-Li" Lian-Li V1000 Mod, HUGE MOTM UPDATE: 31st MAY 2008.

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by ModimusPrime, 13 Apr 2008.

1. Macros_the_Black

Macros_the_Black Yup.. I'm a f-ing reptile

Very nice work!!! ¤_¤ *subscribed*

2. Burnout21

Burnout21 Mmmm biscuits

i have just noticed a 'heat' mark on the motherboard tray. one at the bottom and one where the CPU would have been! some serious heat produced there at sometime during that cases life!

3. Macros_the_Black

omg! 0_o I'm really glad I wasn't the owner of that particular hw!

4. ModimusPrime

ModimusPrime The Dremelator

Thank you all for the interest in this mod!

LOL that was once of the first things I noticed when I opened up the case. I was like :jawdrop: how can you do that to your hardware (That's probably why he was selling the case, coz he killed the HW).

Rest assured that there will be no hardware harmed in the production of this mod :D everything will be nice and cool!

New update will be posted within the next couple of days. It's been a bit busy at home and work but i've managed to get a few things done and I can't wait to see what you guys think. STAY TUNED!

5. Burnout21

Burnout21 Mmmm biscuits

Update?

6. Darkened

Darkened Minimodder

My eye just caught on this thread and I must say I like it (what a surprise :hehe:).

For a sec there I thought that you had borrowed one of my pictures (the first picture of the drivebay shroud), but after that sec I noticed that the angle was different than in my pictures :D Thanks for mentioning me and my project btw, much appreciated.

Top of the case looks really good and all in all I'd say this is going to be a kickass mod.

Darkened

7. tinytomlogan

tinytomlogan Time To Live Customs

Really like the look of this, you have some metal skills there. The debadge is simple but effective, little mods like that in my eyes make a great project. Kudos..

8. ModimusPrime

UPDATE 27th MAY 2008

Hey everyone, firstly I must apologize for the huge delay in updating. I had planned to update earlier this month but there have been a few big changes to my work and I was sick with the flue for a while so I have been taking it easy for the last few weeks, especially since it’s getting to around 4c outside and my shed has more holes it that a block of Swiss cheese LOL

Thank you to everyone for your continued interest!

@ Darkened – Thanks for the kind words, they mean a lot to me as I ‘m loving you mod hehe.
    The main differences are the angle as you said, the top hole for the radiator and I have folded the edges so that I can screw it on and off the motherboard tray and drive bay.

So… UPDATE time!

ALL PHOTOS HAVE BEEN CONVERTED TO 640X480 THIS TIME AS I THINK IT LOOKS A LITTLE TIDIER. PLEASE LET ME KNOW WHICH YOU PREFER

HANDLE:

I am using a Stacker 830 at the moment and hate having to pick it up from the front and back handles so I wanted something big and chunky to span from the from to the back of the case to make the carrying a lot easier.

To do this I started with a solid piece of aluminum 5mmx100mm that I had seen lying around in my dads shed last time I was over there and tried to bend it almost completely around so that it could be screwed directly to the case however I found that it would just not handle the stress of the massive bend so I decide instead on making a metal bracket for the handle to sit on.

[​IMG]

The bracket is just 2 pieces of metal welded together and just quickly shaved back with the angle grinder for the time being. I’ll come back to it later and tidy it up.

[​IMG]

Here’s the handle after it was bent to the shape I wanted. I went for a slop to give the impression of movement and I find it easier to grab this way also.

The bend took me around an hour to do as I wanted to get it real smooth and that exact shape that I had in my head. I had decided to bend it while I was at my dad’s as I thought It would be easier with an extra couple of hands.

So now that I had the bends done it was time to cut the handle in to shape. Once again I made a template out of cardboard the same length as the handle and then drew the curve that I wanted using a marker and a string in order to get the curve perfect.

[​IMG]

After placing it over the handle I marked the cuts and cut it to shape using a hand saw.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Turned out quite well I think. Here are a few different angles so you can get a better idea of what it looks like.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Next part was to actually fix everything in to place. I just drilled and screwed that metal bracket to the case and then the handle for the front part.

[​IMG]

For the back it was a little trickier and I ended up cutting some metal tube in half and then slowly hammered it further until I got it to match the curve of the case. case

[​IMG]

And here are some more shots that I took the next with everything fitted.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

(sorry about the flash glare :blush: )

I had originally tried using smaller hex screws but it looked really weird on what I think is a pretty chunky handle, I think these really fit in well especially once it's all polished up.

I have also started the front of the case but I'd love to hear what you guys think of the handle so please comment.

In the meantime here's a quick tease pic of what I’m thinking for the front of the case.

[​IMG]

hmmm....

9. The boy 4rm oz

The boy 4rm oz Project: Elegant-Li

Nice curve, looking good lol.

10. Tec_

Tec_ What's a Dremel?

nice to see the update

any decision on what color your going with on the inside?

and on a side note, i just bought my first lian-li woot!

11. ModimusPrime

Thanks guys!

@ Tec - It's nice to have had some more time to work on the case and trust me there's more to come I just have to get the photos off the camera ;)

I'm still thinking black with crome accents for the interior. Still a few details that I'm not 100% sure on but I'll explain that in a later update.

12. darthsparky

darthsparky What's a Dremel?

on your first page you have a picture of the radiator cut-out before and after sanding.

What did you use to sand the cut-out and smooth the edges ?

13. Macros_the_Black

That handle looks great! Have you tried fastening it with large countersunk screws?
    The 640X480 image size looks good.

14. ModimusPrime

@ Darthsparky - After cutting I first used a larger metal file followed by a smaller finer one and then finished it with 800 grit sandpaper, I usually leave atleast a milimeter between the cut and the line so I can do this. I find that this way I get a perfect finish to it with a nice straight cut and I can run my hand along it all day without cutting myself. Hope that helps.

@ Macros - Yeah I think the 640x480 size is easier to follow and I think i'll keep it this ways. I did try different screws as I said and I ended on these ones. Here's a quick look at countersunk option.

[​IMG]

This was a quick personal shot just to get an idea of which would look best so sorry for the quality.

15. Burnout21

Burnout21 Mmmm biscuits

sorry to say this, but that top piece really dosn't fit the styling of the V1000. What is it for?

16. ModimusPrime

You mean the handle? I guess it might not be everyones cup of tea. I needed a nice sturdy handle to carry it around as this is lan rig and I think it came out well and it'll fit in with the rest of the mod :D

On a side note, more updates real soon.

17. The boy 4rm oz

The boy 4rm oz Project: Elegant-Li

I think it actually looks quite nice. It has got a nice curve to is. Perhaps you could cut a slit down the centre and put some mesh in it to help it blend with the mesh on the case a bit better.

18. ModimusPrime

LOL that actually made me smile because I had previously thought of making a 1cm long cut all the way through the middle but didn't end up doing it, I think it'll stay the way it is though.

I'll post some pics with the flame gril underneath it on next update.

19. Farmboy UK

Farmboy UK Hungry for knowledge

I really like the handle, the curve is perfect. I'll keep following this mod for sure!

20. ModimusPrime

Thanks mate :thumb:

Big update in the next 10 minutes.

Tags: