1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Wii or another console (i.e. PS3/Xbx) - pissed off my girlfriend!!!

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by nevynev, 19 Jun 2008.

1. nevynev

nevynev What's a Dremel?

Hi,

For my birthday present my girflfriend bought me a Wii. She had told me before to be honest if I didn't want it. Opened wrapping at was pretty much honest in saying not sure! Bit of a mistake cos she got/is really pissed off. Tried to explain it all - she was 85% spot on with getting me a console for my bday but it might be worth me swapping it for another (i.e. PS3 or XBOX360). She doesn't seem to understand the difference (I guess she thinks the wii remote is winner).

Anyhow I could send it back and get a different one but I think this might piss her off further. Then again the damage is already done! My main concern with the wii is not the graphics as for good graphics i use my PC, but im concerned about its longevity in terms of when it gets replaced by a new ninentendo/when they stop making good games for it. Have they got any good adultish games coming up (which arent too gimicky/shortlived) over the next year or so?

Some help here - also I need to be able to argue my point to make her happy!

May sound like an arsehole but was honestly thinking of her spending that much money and me not using it to its fullest (she's 20. I don't want to stop playing with my Wii after a few months and feel like more of an arsehole than I do now!).

Adult and serious replies please!!
    Cheers guys,
    NevyNev

2. benjamyn

benjamyn What's a Dremel?

maybe she was secretly looking to have a few games of wii sports, and play wii fit on it? Wii appeals to her too, and you 2 could probably play quite a few multiplayer games together on it.
    However probably not on the PS3/Xbox360 unless shes a vivid gamer

3. chrisb2e9

chrisb2e9 Dont do that...

she might think of it as something that you can do together. which isn't such a bad thing, we have to keep them happy.
    except in my case where she left me anyway.

4. GoodBytes

GoodBytes How many wifi's does it have?

+1 to chrisbe9. He is totally right. She probably wanted to play games with you.
    Mario Kart, Brawl, Wii Sports, are actually fun games to play in multiplier... It's time of games that are OK when you play alone, however more you are, the WAY better it gets.
    Nintendo knows what they are doing. The Wii will not disappear shortly. I mean look at the DS. The "new" DS Lite, is the very same DS just improved design and screen, and that was just to complete with the PSP, just to ensure that PSP has no big advantage. This Wii will not get a better graphic card inside. If they do... no one will buy it. One reason of having a low end card is to allow developers to not concentrate on graphics and actually concentrate on the actual games. However, as you saw, many company takes advantage of that and advantage of the high sell number of games, and advantage of the significantly less strict "Nintendo quality seal", to release crapware or vaporware and cash in. As people fall on those more and more, people will read some review first, and stop this madness.

5. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

There are plenty of good games for the Wii. Go get Boom Blox, No More Heroes, Okami and Super Mario Galaxy, then stop being such a spoiled sod ;) There's as much longevity left in the Wii as there is in any of the other consoles.

6. Major

Major Guest

So is Boomblox really that good then?

7. thebestnews

thebestnews What's a Dremel?

Hi, I had my wii for while, but I am now in the process of selling it. Reason? I just got bored of hoping for another good game. The wii has about 4 good games, and that is a FACT I am afraid. And they are all the nintendo released ones. Did I enjoy it? Yes. Will I enjoy a PS3 now? Definetly. Worth the money? Only if you have the money to get a ps3/xbox360 AND a Wii for some varied gameplay. Do what most people do, play the games available on the wii, have a great laugh and when the games run out, get a PS3 or Xbox360. If you want an excuse for your girlfridn just tell her you don't want to play pippa funnel horseracing

8. chrisb2e9

no, its not a fact that there are only 4 good games on the wii. what is a fact is that you are of the *opinion* that there are only four good games for the wii. Everyone is entitled to their opinion but calling it fact is like me saying that the color blue is better than red and saying that its a fact. And everyone knows that the color red is clearly superior to blue.

9. DarkLord7854

DarkLord7854 What's a Dremel?

Haha.. same thing here, enjoyed it for like 3 months, and then got bored, sold it, got xbox360, never been happier :p

But yea, on topic, if you have people to play with you, in person, the Wii is tons of fun.. although my roommates and I did get bored, but then again, the Wii is more casual gaming and we're all gamers.. Halo3 fits us better :p

10. Xtrafresh

Xtrafresh It never hurts to help

Dude, it is not about the damn wii. If she doesn't know the difference between the wii and a PS/3, she clearly doesn't give a rat's bottom. It's not even about you using it to the fullest.

It's about you being grateful. Even if the thing ends up in the closet by september, have fun with it now and things will be fine.

You were right about the damage already being done though... you'll have a hard time convincing her that you actually are grateful (which you clearly are, since you cared enough to seek advice on the most desperate of ways :p)

good luck

11. Solidus

Solidus Superhuman

I own a Nintendo Wii, high end pc and also an xbox 360 console and of the three, i play the wii the least.

Nintendo designed the console well but its appeal is so very limited. Its shortcomings in graphics are a major factor for me personally because I know graphics dont make a game but they certainly play a strong role - would GTA 4 or Gears of War be as good if it wasnt graphically attractive? i dont believe so personally, i feel it would be very limited.

The Wii does have as much games as any other consoles, Mario Kart, Super Mario Galaxy, Wii sport, Super smash bros brawl soon and a few others...perhaps more than the ps3 or xbox 360 but the problem is the games have limited appeal and the whole console feels like a novelty item.

I havnt touched my Wii in months, its covered in dust.

My xbox 360 has only 3 games which iv played to death and im still playing Gears Of War on it and downloading demos on xbox live.

I certainly hope Nintendo's next attempt is graphically superior because im not shelling out on another kiddy toy...as much fun as this kiddy toy was.

12. nevynev

nevynev What's a Dremel?

Thanks for all the input.

Went round to a mate's house tonight who has a wii which further persuaded me. I've got my high endish pc for quality gaming. I think I'll go for the wii for casual, fun gaming which I can do with her - good decision? I reckon I can pull her round to understanding that I am just an indecisive rude idiot!

Also in the first place she did say before opening it and many times before to be honest if I liked it or wanted something different....hmmm.

Cheers
    NevyNev

13. Xtrafresh

Xtrafresh It never hurts to help

if a woman sais you can be honest once, casually, you need to be careful.
    if a woman sais it several times, she's uncertain. For heavens sake, DO NOT BE HONEST!

14. chrisb2e9

really, thoes pants dont make you look fat,
    really, I love this gift
    Of course I love you!
    etc
    etc

15. DarkLord7854

DarkLord7854 What's a Dremel?

Translation: "You better like it. Or else I'll be mad. Very. Mad."

16. bahgger

bahgger Minimodder

Play Ghost Squad with her on the Wii if you still have it. Everybody loves Ghost Squad!

17. Hazer

Hazer In time,you too will be relixalated

For your Girlfriend situation: Plug the damn thing into the wall and beg her to play Wii Sports with you. Tell her (lie if needed) that you never knew that the Wii was so fun to play, but you NEED her to play WITH YOU! She is 20, you have very limited leeway for screwing up. She is starting to get to an age where waiting for you to grow up is becoming tedious and maybe those other guys who keep hitting on her when you are not around and promising her better treatment than you give her begin to tempt her.

As far as the Wii is concerned: It is a good console. It is great for playing games involving people who are not hardcore gamers. Yes, most of the Wiimote games are just novelties, but novelty has its place. PC games are PC games. They were never meant to be in direct competition for consoles. As for XBXO/PS3, buy one of those seperately. There is no reason NOT to have one of each. But those consoles were meant for solo gamers.

18. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

Yeah, because Halo 3 is such a hardcore game :rolleyes:

I've had my Wii since launch and, while I don't play it religiously, I wouldn't trade it for the world. As a social event it's marvelous and despite what everyone says there are a good number of hardcore games out there. Not as much as other consoles, true, but more than enough to keep you going. There's Zelda, Mario, Resident Evil, Metroid, No More Heroes, Okami, Boom Blox, the list goes on.

If you've got a high-end PC then you've already got all the hardcore gaming you need and you've already got great graphics and you've already got 90 percent of the games that come out on the Xbox 360, or access to them at least. To me, the Wii is a change of pace and a very good one at that. It's definitely a flawed console, but unless there's a specific reason for you to get a 360 instead of a Wii then it seems stupid to throw away a perfectly decent console and your girlfriends feeling solely on the prejudice that 'casual games are for wimps' - which is secretly at the root of most anti-Wii sentiments from hardcore gamers.

19. Silver51

Silver51 I cast flare!

Had a similar conversation with my little brother yesterday as we were playing through Lego Star Wars. The Wii is a great bit of kit.

20. mushky

mushky gimme snails

I've had 2, got bored quickly with both. I have more fun with my PSP to be honest, but that's obviously for just me. Gaming isn't really a social thing with me and mine, we tend to do other stuff. 360 is much more fun gaming.